Fish Measuring Tube.

campr

20200401_175346.thumb.jpg.04f24f22856227ccd0c30266f8da0233.jpgMeasuring tubes are quicker and easyer to measure fish as they calm them down by being cradled as you slide them down to the front.  If wet they are better for the fish and make releasing quick and easy.

My old one was made fron 150 tube but only 750 long which is annoying when flatties and jew are often longer.  My solution was to make one from 250 tube and preferably 1200 long.  This is hard to get and expensive with off cuts fetching about $60 a metre.  Lucked out with a freeby broken piece just a little short at 1180 long.

I cut into 3 pieces along length.  Added end made from cutting board offcut with a handle.  Experimental gluing of measuring mat with plumbers pvc joiner appears to have worked ok.

I have caught 2 flatties at 97cm and now all ready when I hopefully get my metery.  Ron

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Get out of my head Ron. I've been playing this design over in my head for about a fortnight. I was thinking more so for bottom species than anything and how much easier it would be to measure them accurately. Then my mind turned to kingfish and dolphin fish........... make life so much easier

I tried for a 300mm pipe but these are even harder to find and cost is crazy.  I used Primary Industries roll up mat (Fisheries) as I had a few of these from comps and raffles etc.  Don't know what they charge for them.  I don't believe you get any of the rolled up type flat when rolled out and its a lot of fiddling around when your by yourself and have a big mumma in the net. 

Baz.  When you get to this diameter I think you should still be able to measure a snapper ok.  Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I run a signage company these days so i was thinking about doing custom measuring tubes and brag mats etc. I've got one of the designers working on it now.

This is another little project we have running. This one is for my boat 

Light tackle station.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, campr said:

I tried for a 300mm pipe but these are even harder to find and cost is crazy.  I used Primary Industries roll up mat (Fisheries) as I had a few of these from comps and raffles etc.  Don't know what they charge for them.  I don't believe you get any of the rolled up type flat when rolled out and its a lot of fiddling around when your by yourself and have a big mumma in the net. 

Baz.  When you get to this diameter I think you should still be able to measure a snapper ok.  Ron

Thanks Ron.

ANSA C&R mats are $16 from the ANSA National online shop. $5 postage. I ordered a few ANSA boat and car stickers as well. Total postage was $5. Might have to order another one and make up a tube, if I can find tube anywhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Ron.

ANSA C&R mats are $16 from the ANSA National online shop. $5 postage. I ordered a few ANSA boat and car stickers as well. Total postage was $5. Might have to order another one and make up a tube, if I can find tube anywhere.

What size are you after?

I’m heading over there for work next week, I’ll grab some leftovers I have and drop it over somewhere. I’ll make sure it’s coated in hand sanitiser too 😉

32 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, if I decide to make this, 250mm, same as Ron. Don’t know where I’d get it in Port Stephens.

• Like 1

It's almost like pipe that size would be for major builds or works.

Ive done a few diy projects out of 100 x 150mm but never seen anything of that size unless it's part of some sort of road works or similar.

Nice idea though.

It's a bit like high density foam.

Its exy as well & I needed some for a project but didn't want to spend $60 on it & finally picked up a 1m square cushion piece out of a pile junk waiting for collection from the garbo's. 

For what I wanted to cut it up for I was happy to be a scab to save $60 😁

Washed, sanitised & cut up to go into a storage case you didn't really care who sat on it.

Have you measured Kings on it ? Reason I'm asking is that I could see the curved shape squeezing the tail in which would make the fish a few cm longer and when fisheries measure with their flat gauge there could be discrepancies. Several other species can be measured longer by squeezing their tails, is this something you have experimented with ?

I have a piece of 1m x 25cm x 5mm pvc pipe here that I think 1/3 diameter would be plenty wide enough so would get 3 x 1m lengths out of it.

I just use this to store yard brooms etc upright in so maybe you have put me onto having a proper use for it.

1995133681_25cmpvcpipe1.thumb.jpg.d5dcfcc70208ccd842511ce43727d110.jpg

998160430_25cmpvcpipe2.thumb.jpg.e49f0ff1135661a33760f1ce32452583.jpg

I moved the tape as the shutter snapped so it appears wrong measurement but it is 25 cm.

Frank

• Like 1

kingie. I'm not knocking the idea but I wouldn't use it. I don't use the roll up one I have as I feel if a fish needs to be measured it's probably too close to being undersized anyhow and by the time shrinkage takes place it's likely to become a fine. It would need a large storage space ( side pocket ) and would suit boats in the 6 metre + range.

I might make 3 out of the piece I have and wait till I get 3 guys that want one. I won't be gluing the mats to them, whoever they go to will have to do that job themselves.

Frank

I have a couple of 1500x165mm thick walled black pipe that could probably be used for smaller fish.Heck I could make one out of 20mm tube that will suffice to measure the fish i catch.

20200402_202841.jpg

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, frankS said:

kingie. I'm not knocking the idea but I wouldn't use it. I don't use the roll up one I have as I feel if a fish needs to be measured it's probably too close to being undersized anyhow and by the time shrinkage takes place it's likely to become a fine. It would need a large storage space ( side pocket ) and would suit boats in the 6 metre + range.

I might make 3 out of the piece I have and wait till I get 3 guys that want one. I won't be gluing the mats to them, whoever they go to will have to do that job themselves.

Frank

Sometime you also just want to measure a fish to see if you have beaten your PB as well frank, well that's if you care about that sort of thing I guess 😏

Another possibility if you can’t get any pipe larger than 150mm, is with heat proof gloves run the pipe back & forth in front of a heater (not to close though) it will start to become flexible hold it in the position or shape you need & once cool trim off excess. An alternative is a heat gun in a controlled manner & probably safer

• Like 1