Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Yowie

Finally good to head back on the water, the government has realised that fishing is a form of exercise, and a way of providing  some food for the table. It is also a good for your mental well-being - many fishos go a bit agro if they cannot wet a line - especially after spending much time at home in the current situation. 

Headed out early this morning, to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. Threw out some baits on ganged hooks hoping for a tailor, well, only one bite from one. Just a little bit of movement on a line, not much weight then the hooks are chewed off and the line is frayed. Probably a reasonable sized tailor. Tailor mentality is to chew on some food, they cannot bite through the hooks, so just swallow everything, chew on the line and swim off for the next meal.

Pulled out the bream and gurnard on fish strips, and the jackets took small strips of squid. Plenty of jackets, but so hard to hook today, and many of them that were hooked dropped off half way up to the boat. Plenty of reddies but none legal.

Also pulled out a jewie, but only around the 60cm mark.

2 rat kingies turned up after a while, and they were feeding on the burley and whatever else I threw into the water. I put a bream hook on my whiting rod, 6 pound mono, and I checked that the line was ok and not frayed or damaged. Put on a chunk of fish, dropped it over and a kingie swam straight up and swallowed the bait about a foot under the surface. I lifted the rod tip and hooked up. The kingie did not swim off but shook it's head sideways a few times and was gone. I pulled up to see that the line was frayed and the hook missing. My conclusion is that the head shaking allowed the kingie's teeth to chafe the line to the point that it's real breaking strain was severely reduced. Not happy. The other kingie stayed around for a while, ate some more burley, but nothing with a hook in it.

Headed home after that. Plenty of other boats about, many appeared to be heading outside.

fish.jpeg_229.thumb.png.b8a50bb699823194e1904a4ce5253134.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Finally good to head back on the water, the government has realised that fishing is a form of exercise, and a way of providing  some food for the table. It is also a good for your mental well-being - many fishos go a bit agro if they cannot wet a line - especially after spending much time at home in the current situation. 

Headed out early this morning, to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. Threw out some baits on ganged hooks hoping for a tailor, well, only one bite from one. Just a little bit of movement on a line, not much weight then the hooks are chewed off and the line is frayed. Probably a reasonable sized tailor. Tailor mentality is to chew on some food, they cannot bite through the hooks, so just swallow everything, chew on the line and swim off for the next meal.

Pulled out the bream and gurnard on fish strips, and the jackets took small strips of squid. Plenty of jackets, but so hard to hook today, and many of them that were hooked dropped off half way up to the boat. Plenty of reddies but none legal.

Also pulled out a jewie, but only around the 60cm mark.

2 rat kingies turned up after a while, and they were feeding on the burley and whatever else I threw into the water. I put a bream hook on my whiting rod, 6 pound mono, and I checked that the line was ok and not frayed or damaged. Put on a chunk of fish, dropped it over and a kingie swam straight up and swallowed the bait about a foot under the surface. I lifted the rod tip and hooked up. The kingie did not swim off but shook it's head sideways a few times and was gone. I pulled up to see that the line was frayed and the hook missing. My conclusion is that the head shaking allowed the kingie's teeth to chafe the line to the point that it's real breaking strain was severely reduced. Not happy. The other kingie stayed around for a while, ate some more burley, but nothing with a hook in it.

Headed home after that. Plenty of other boats about, many appeared to be heading outside.

fish.jpeg_229.thumb.png.b8a50bb699823194e1904a4ce5253134.png

Good stuff as usual mate.Out on the boat alone would have to be one of the safest places you could be with everything that's going on.My guess is a few that have been put off work for whatever reason are having a fish too.

2 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

You still managed a feed of fish. 

I was one of those boats heading to the ocean

I went past you at your secret spot about 630 and hookerbruce (dad) would have gone past 15 min later.

I'll post a report shortly 

Ash

There were a few boats roaring past. Some were going past at 9am.

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Good stuff as usual mate.Out on the boat alone would have to be one of the safest places you could be with everything that's going on.My guess is a few that have been put off work for whatever reason are having a fish too.

At least I caught something to put on the plate.

Plenty of distance and fresh air. 😀

36 minutes ago, thaichilli said:

Hi Yowie,

I always look forward to your reports. I was in one of the boats heading out. The weather was too got to miss - Bate bay was very calm. 

Plenty of bait around  and some success with flathead on drift.

I was thinking the flatties should be about outside.

Mr Yowie!

great read as always’

I’m happy to see the government has seen that fishing is good avenue for food and mental well being’

love the reads mate, always Brings back memories of dad teaching me to fish of the old rundown wooden warf at Lilly pilly’

• Thanks 1