What size and type hook

Joeyd

Hi Raiders

Just need some of your knowledge again guys 

In the bay hunting for kings on yakkas what type/size hook would you recommend to actually use the yakka as a live bait.

Edited by Joeyd

8 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

size 8 longshanks if you have the patience to baitfish for them-personally just use sabikis

I should of made my question a bit clearer lol what hook to use to actually use the live bait to catch kings lol

3 minutes ago, Joeyd said:

I should of made my question a bit clearer lol what hook to use to actually use the live bait to catch kings lol

@Joeyd have a look at our search engine - there are many, many posts and articles on catching kings and squidding in syd harbour. 

Perhaps a raider can help me with some links here? (very busy right now) 

1 minute ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Joeyd have a look at our search engine - there are many, many posts and articles on catching kings and squidding in syd harbour. 

Perhaps a raider can help me with some links here? (very busy right now) 

Thanks mrs!!!

2 hours ago, Joeyd said:

5 or 6/0's

As suggested have a look around the forum by using the search tab, there is a huge amount of info on here about a lot of different subjects. 

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

5 or 6/0's

As suggested have a look around the forum by using the search tab, there is a huge amount of info on here about a lot of different subjects. 

Thanks kingie

2 minutes ago, James Clain said:

5/0 6/0 or 7/0 Gamakatzu livebait or Mustad hoodlum livebait hooks. When running the yakkas its  a good idea to bridle them through the nose aswell using rubber bands. 

Great tip james just need to look up how to use the rubberbands lol

Just now, kingie chaser said:

Don't need to use bands or bridle unless your doing higher speed trolling.

No need to ever complicate it here James!

I wont be trolling so i think just keep it simple

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Hook though just behind the head above he spine, keeps them alive & the kings go for the head so instant hook up 👍

Nice tip kingie will give that a try

7 minutes ago, Joeyd said:

Ill be in the bay next saturday from about 6 am in this beauty lol so if anyones out there come say hi

modal_modal_boat-81859f04a48cb7fb6726718d93f3f3dc-0ce3593cd78b279c16d5ed3a12efcd02.jpg

Id love to come with you @Joeyd but social distancing rules wont allow it for now.

Raincheck on another time in the near future maybe.

The current rules make it hard for anyone other that family members of the same household to in such close contact!

Nice looking rig by the way :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

Id love to come with you @Joeyd but social distancing rules wont allow it for now.

Raincheck on another time in the near maybe.

The current rules make it hard for anyone other that family members of the same household to in such close contact!

Dam virus !!!!  Look forward to having a fish with you in the near future once these crazy times end

• Like 1

8/0 mustad circle is the most common hook I use for kings, marlin, tuna etc as they seem to suit a live yakka or slimy well for me. There are different gauge strengths to suit different size fish or tackle used. Light gauge can actually be useful when releasing bigger fish as you can straighten them at the side of the boat by simply loading the leader.