mrsswordfisherman

Fishing rules during COVID-19 isolation - discuss here only

Hi Raiders

My mods and I have discussed the need for ensuring members have their say about COVID19. This post is the place to do that.

This post will stay open unless it becomes inflammatory or not in the spirit of our fishraider community.

It is very obvious by reading what is happening on social media channels that the fishing community is very divided in their views.

It is the “stay at home” versus “I need to go fishing for my mental health and to feed my family” debate.

Each state has different rules on fishing and boating that are changing daily in some cases. Please be mindful of that when posting any fishing reports.

We have Site Rules here please re-read them particularly this first one

1. No abusive or threatening posts or private messages including posts/messages that reference abusive or threatening actions/behaviours. Personal attack or inciting arguments will not be tolerated.

Finally thanks for behaving in a civil manner. Be kind to each other in whatever situation you are in right now. We are all in the same boat.

mrsswordfisherman aka Donna (Fishraider Community Manager) 

• Like 3

I saw police actively booking and turning back obvious tourists on the NSW south coast today.

• Like 4

I am glad we can get out for a fish, but at the same time I'm pretty bewildered at all of the contradictions in the rules. 

• Thanks 1

It's great we can still get out for a fish, be it land or boat based.

In the spirit of the guidelines of no non essential travel I shall limit where I go both land based and on water to as close to home possible. Living in Warriewood I have so many areas to choose from within 10 minutes drive.

If we can all stick to our local area where possible the more likely we are able to keep doing it.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Welster said:

I am glad we can get out for a fish, but at the same time I'm pretty bewildered at all of the contradictions in the rules. 

Judging by pics that people have been throwing up onto social media I suspect the fishing/boating privileges may be retracted. 
Many people boating and kayaking and congregating at ramps and on beaches. 
I think they were watching behaviour this weekend knowing next week is Easter (ugh)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Even though I went for a solo cast yesterday, I wouldn't be opposed if they banned it during this pandemic. There are those that continually take the piss and flout the rules, that I can totally understand why they would ban it. It's always the actions of a minority that ruins it for everyone else.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The underlying issue here is that Australians in general do not like to be told what they can do & give them an inch they will take a ft.

I think some of you & the keyboard hero's on social media need a reality check so here are some figures for you from just yesterday 4.4.2020 -

USA 975 dead 

Spain 749 dead 

Italy 686 dead

Germany 153 dead 

France 1053 dead

UK 708 dead 

The world wide total is currently 64, 546 people dead...………………...the reason the count is so high in some counties is they did not put the measures we have in place soon enough or to the same level! Everyone just needs to sit tight or else we will start seeing figures like this, that could be your father, brother, mother, sister, child!! I don't like this as much as the next person but the alternative is people will die!

If those figures don't give you any concern & don't think it will happen here then think again! 

Personally I am actually surprised that we are still not in total lockdown, I think this whole thing would be over a lot quicker if Australia just shut down entirely for 2 weeks & we could all go back to our normal lives much quicker which includes the things we all love to do outdoors.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

Just my two bobs worth....

Yes I’m hanging to go fishing!!! 

Although, with the current situation in reality, it’s not worth the extra trip! 
 Both my wife and I work in essential jobs. I am a baker for Woolworths and my wife is an AIN in aged care. We have four children and two elderly parents that we care for. My eldest son is expecting his first child in 6-8 weeks and we are very worried about the whole situation. 
To put it into perspective, we will not be allowed to see our first ever grandchild on the day they were born! They do not have the opportunity to go to pre-natal classes and my son is not guaranteed to be present at his first child’s birth. 
So fishing for me, is not even a thought in current times. 
Whilst there is so many confusing issues over the legality of fishing or not, for many it is not even a passing thought. 
Non essential travel, social distancing, cleaning procedures etc etc. It’s all there to protect us from a virus that there is no vaccine for. 
Make no mistake raiders, this virus is deadly and something that we’ve never seen the likes before. How would you feel if your fishing trip turned out to be your one extra trip that made you contract the virus???  Your family??? Your friends??? 

The choices you make in life are your decision. But In this current climate, just think of others, be kind to each other and is fishing at this stage really worth it??? 
You will not see a report from me until the all clear is given! 

Let’s hope for our country that this is sooner rather than later! 

regards, 

Scratchie!!! 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

The underlying issue here is that Australians in general do not like to be told what they can do & give them an inch they will take a ft.

I think some of you & the keyboard hero's on social media need a reality check so here are some figures for you from just yesterday 4.4.2020 -

USA 975 dead 

Spain 749 dead 

Italy 686 dead

Germany 153 dead 

France 1053 dead

UK 708 dead 

The world wide total is currently 64, 546 people dead...………………...the reason the count is so high in some counties is they did not put the measures we have in place soon enough or to the same level! Everyone just needs to sit tight or else we will start seeing figures like this, that could be your father, brother, mother, sister, child!! I don't like this as much as the next person but the alternative is people will die!

If those figures don't give you any concern & don't think it will happen here then think again! 

Personally I am actually surprised that we are still not in total lockdown, I think this whole thing would be over a lot quicker if Australia just shut down entirely for 2 weeks & we could all go back to our normal lives much quicker which includes the things we all love to do outdoors.

I agree completely we should be locked down and if it was up to me I would of done it Friday the 13/3, except I would of needed to because I would of locked down the countries borders much earlier.  Only allowing returning Aussies with enforced quarantine on return. 

If the government just got on with the lock down all of the confusion and contradictions disappear.  

It is going to be interesting watching how NZ progresses compared to us.  My thoughts are domestically they will back closer to normal much earlier. 

• Like 2

Raiders please be patient. Posts are under approval before becoming visible. 
Thanks

• Like 1

Jeff thanks for your story and concerns. 

Swordie and I were on a fishing trip towing a caravan with tinny on top of car we had planned for over a year. We got up to Lake Somerset in QLD as COVID-19 started taking hold. 
We felt ok during the week but as Friday approached hundreds of campers and caravanners arrived for the weekend. 
Large groups of people congregated at the grassy areas at the ramp. 
We suddenly felt very unsafe and happy that we were self sufficient with ensuite. The amenities blocks were unclean with all the traffic. As an RN I saw the signs. We packed up and left. 
Anyone who knows Stewy would know how disappointed he is to not be fishing. He is also immunosuppressed and we are both over 60. 

@Scratchie let’s hope Tyran gets to be at that birth and that you guys get a hold of that little one ASAP. 

My eldest daughter is 20 weeks pregnant with the 1st grandchild too. She and hubby live in the UK. We couldn’t celebrate and give them hugs with the announcement. I have return flights booked for Aug/Sept to be with her for the birth and after but that may not happen. 

My other daughter is a registered nurse at a major Sydney hospital oncology unit. She is looking after the cancer patients undergoing chemo. She came to visit a few days ago and sat up the end of our outdoor area and had a coffee. It was the first time I was unable to hug my child. 

Life has changed for all of us. Stay at home message needs to be heeded by us all. As global citizens we have a responsibility to work together to get through this. 

#stayathometillitsover 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what some mean by a 'total lockdown' . We will still need essential services, to go out for food and medicines etc. Then it becomes problematic when you lift it. The virus is likely just to flare up again as there is little herd immunity yet. And if we have total lockdown until we have some sort of cure or vaccine, well that could be a year away. That has huge problems of it's own, the economy would be devastated, we will be in debt for decades, there will be despair and suicides. Maybe our present path and reviewing things as they unfold is the best option. 

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Like 1

I agree with the majority of sentiment here & at the end of the day what are a few months of our lives worth.
Since January my boat has become a haven for critters dirt & leaves , I have no intention of using it during this crisis as much as I would love to but at the same time I have on the odd occasion gone out for a local fish & only touching my own gear or the car in my local area & generally twilight or dusk for a couple of hours at most

I must admit for a bit of fresh air I’ve even used the excuse of taking the dog for a walk to see what’s happening locally, for example last Saturday I popped into Avoca & grabbed a coffee at a local shop I use & asked him how’s business & his comment was good including the food sales but what bewildered me was that he had said that “non were locals”.

on arrival at the carpark near the rock platform I noticed heaps of people on the beach most walking, surfing or swimming but there were quite a few sun baking or sitting around having a drink, at least the majority were keeping distance but as I rounded the corner to the platform  I was amazed at least 40 plus rods & 25+ people & there wouldn’t have been more than 5 locals among them, the one good thing was that there were 3 fisheries inspectors whom I had a quick chat to & was informed of one breach of licence, I asked if they enforce the local rule & they said the police are the only ones who could act on that, the other thing I’ve noticed is the amount of cop cars cruising around it’s almost like people either don’t care or are oblivious to the inherent danger, something else  I’ve noticed is that the Terrigal boat ramp is almost void of boat trailers so this tells me there are people & raiders out there who understand the underlying danger of  the situation we are in. 

So please everyone me included do we really need to be out there or can we play it safe for just a small moment in our lives

• Like 4

It’s a cantankerous issue, isn’t it? 🤔They say that “packing up your boat for a road trip and a half day fishing expedition is ... not in the spirit of the restrictions”. I tend to agree, looking at it this way: If you argue that fishing is your form of (passive) exercise, would it also be fair for someone to travel an hour or more to get some exercise in the sun in a park somewhere when they could do this 5 minutes from their home? If you did travel an hour or or more each way to fish for half a day and you were later to be diagnosed with COVID19, could you honestly 100% identify, in writing, every person you came into contact with on that trip and also over the last 14 days, including staff at service stations, retail outlets etc. and could you identify every surface (shop door, counter, railing, tap etc.) that you touched over those 14 days? Remember, it has been recommended that we should behave as if we do have COVID19.

I’m going to set myself a challenge. I am required to continue working in retail (I am concerned about my risk of exposure but also eternally grateful that I still have a job). I am exposed to countless staff and customers daily, some insisting on paying with cash, despite numerous requests to pay by card and pay wave if possible. Numerous customers at my retail outlet continue to struggle with social distancing, basic hygiene (I watch how often they touch their face, sneeze or cough into their hands etc.) and continue to just browse around, clearly not looking to buy “essential” items, spending way too long inside the store, frequently stopping to chat at length with other customers. I do duck out to buy groceries and other essentials where necessary, usually on my way to or from work as I drive past but I am trying to keep these sojourns brief and to a minimum. My challenge is this: over  the next 2 weeks, I am going to try to maintain a log, listing every location I visit, every person I come into contact with (who, when, where, for how long), every surface I may have touched etc. I think I am really going to struggle! How do you think you’d go?

The decision whether or not to self isolate/social distance is, I guess, a personal one, sure, but it is a decision which has far reaching consequences. It is up to us to determine if those consequences will be good consequences or bad consequences.

Note: I did not originally feel this way and it was only after much personal deliberation that I have come to this decision. You make your decision but whatever you decide to do, stay safe, stay well and keep smiling.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Welster said:

If the government just got on with the lock down all of the confusion and contradictions disappear.  

Exactly 😉

Its been interesting looking at all the comments on FB pages like the NSW DPI or NSW Maritime 

People trying to rationalise the difference between going for fish compared to a run 🤨  

10 hours ago, Scratchie said:

So fishing for me, is not even a thought in current times. 

You will not see a report from me until the all clear is given! 

Its just good common sense I think, who would want to risk going out to do something that is non essential & potentially bringing the virus home to the rest of the family?

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Large groups of people congregated at the grassy areas at the ramp. 

We suddenly felt very unsafe and happy that we were self sufficient with ensuite. The amenities blocks were unclean with all the traffic. As an RN I saw the signs. We packed up and left. 

I don't think being an RN helped it was more likely the fact that you posses a higher amount of intelligence than the average person helped!

I hope you & all the family stay safe during this time Donna, people of the front lines like yourself & your daughter are taking the biggest risk & deserve all our praise.

I imagine seeing people take the piss & flout the rules must make you so angry, I know I would be!

7 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

I'm not sure what some mean by a 'total lockdown' . We will still need essential services, to go out for food and medicines etc. Then it becomes problematic when you lift it. The virus is likely just to flare up again as there is little herd immunity yet. 

True but total lockdowns are occurring in other countries of the world & they are coping, yes essential services need to remain open but that's its.

Things like groceries can be ordered online or by phone & delivered stopping crowds/contact & also reduce panic buying.

Not sure how they ae doing it in the rest of the world but put it this way, the incubation period for Covid is 1-14 days & the contagious period is 1 o 4 weeks, so if we had a total shutdown for 6 weeks(I think China did 8 weeks) then kept the international borders closed we should all be able to go back to lives in a somewhat normal fashions including restaurant, clubs, pubs, retail & other sectors being able to reopen.

Even 8 weeks sounds better to me than 6 months!

7 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

on arrival at the carpark near the rock platform I noticed heaps of people on the beach most walking, surfing or swimming but there were quite a few sun baking or sitting around having a drink, at least the majority were keeping distance but as I rounded the corner to the platform  I was amazed at least 40 plus rods & 25+ people & there wouldn’t have been more than 5 locals among them, the one good thing was that there were 3 fisheries inspectors whom I had a quick chat to & was informed of one breach of licence, I asked if they enforce the local rule & they said the police are the only ones who could act on that, the other thing I’ve noticed is the amount of cop cars cruising around it’s almost like people either don’t care or are oblivious to the inherent danger

So please everyone me included do we really need to be out there or can we play it safe for just a small moment in our lives

I guess this is what I was referring to in my 1st sentence, you only have to look at what happened at Bondi only the day after the restrictions started to realise a reasonably percentage of people are halfwits that that literally stick their heads in the sand & don't think anything will ever happen to them.

And we are still seeing it, Sco Mo says "People should not be going away for Easter holidays," he said. "People should not be getting in their cars and going to other places." & no sooner said police start pulling people over travelling to holiday destinations. People just don't listen!

8 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

The decision whether or not to self isolate/social distance is, I guess, a personal one, sure, but it is a decision which has far reaching consequences. It is up to us to determine if those consequences will be good consequences or bad consequences.

Note: I did not originally feel this way and it was only after much personal deliberation that I have come to this decision. You make your decision but whatever you decide to do, stay safe, stay well and keep smiling.

The decision should not be a personal one & that has created the unrest amongst people where they are trying to rationalize how one restriction is different to another.

I actually feel for people who have to be out there at the moment, working & dealing with public in a retail setting, exactly as you are saying with people coughing & sneezing & then handing you money.

I hope your company is supplying you with masks, gloves & sanitizer Baz.

I have only gone out 3 times in the last couple of weeks to get some supplies & my skin is crawling by the time I get home just thinking about what I have touched, then basically wash my hands etc.

This whole thing has made me a bit paranoid about anyone or anything I come into contact with BUT in saying that this is pretty much what the health authorities are telling us to be.

Vigilant or paranoid, I cant tell the difference at the moment 😏

Stay safe Baz.

• Like 3

@kingie chaser wrote:

“I hope your company is supplying you with masks, gloves & sanitizer Baz”

Yes, thanks, mate. Well, at least gloves and sanitiser but I also carry my own box of disposable nitrile gloves too. Masks have been in short supply since the bushfires but I have a few P2 masks of my own. If we have to work closely with other team members (e.g. 2 person lift) we are required to wear a mask, so there are a few for that purpose. I have started wearing my fishing neck buffs when needed. The trouble with masks is people don’t wear them properly or they take them on and off all the time. Same with gloves - they are meant to be used for single contact only then disposed off. Wearing them all the time just transfers microbes, same as hands and people just dump them in the car park or shopping trolleys. I at least use sanitiser on my gloves frequently (frequent washing or sanitising my hands was destroying my skin which is very sensitive due to the psoriasis medication I’m on). I go through at least 10- 20 pairs a day and remove them in a sanitary way (checked with my nursing sister and other nurses I know).

My comment re social distancing being a personal choice was in relation to fishing. People are flouting the rules. There are many here in Port Stephens who wish they would actually stop all people travelling here from out of town. Perhaps the police could scan car rego plates to see if their registered address is not local, then ask them to explain...

• Like 3

I suppose that I am fortunate in that my boat is on the ramp behind my house. I can launch and fish without seeing anyone, yet I am hesitant to go out. I could not be exposed to it by my fishing activities but I think the uncertainty of life at the moment takes the gloss off fishing. We are playing a waiting game where the whole of life seems surreal. Maybe a good time to service the boat and gear.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

My comment re social distancing being a personal choice was in relation to fishing. People are flouting the rules. There are many here in Port Stephens who wish they would actually stop all people travelling here from out of town. Perhaps the police could scan car rego plates to see if their registered address is not local, then ask them to explain...

That's good to here Baz, they would have to provide PPE's under duty of care WH&S regs, how they are used even more important.

Being in the food industry we use a lot of gloves as well in just the normal operations but something I have to remind people constantly at work is they have to be changed in between every single job otherwise cross contamination will occur.  

I myself can go through a 100 pack in a day depending on what I am doing.

Social distancing isn't a person choice its law, fishing is ok as they have allowed it but social distancing laws still apply.

I'll say that word again 'law' 

Something its taking a long while for some people to understand.

Police have the powers to impose fines & the courts jail penalties for people who flout the laws. 

Re the police scanning # plates, will that happens by every single highway patrol car.

Ever since the rego labels were done away with every single car they pass is scanned to ensure the car in registered, they can then see the address of the owner on their computer in their vehicle.

It is totally probable that what your suggesting is happening & will be ramped up over Easter.

• Like 1

Some interesting stats for Australia, Flu's been around since 1890's and they still can't stop it.

Flu stats Australia 2019. Previous years about the same. Don’t forget the flu stats are that high even with viral remedies available and early vaccinations

252,000 infected via confirmed lab tests (so excludes those that didn’t go to doctors or have a swab if they went)

3000 to 4000 deaths(they have problems differentiating between pneumonia from other causes or resultant specifically from flu infection, flu however been the main perpetrator)

Corona so far in Australia. No vaccinations no viral remedies

5500 confirmed infected

30 deaths

Hi all, I agree with Scratchie and others, we have never experienced times as threatening as this. It's no good us self isolating after a case is reported. In my case I live on the edge of a lake in a tiny community, my yak is permanently at the waters edge. Without risk to myself or others, I can slide out 30 metres and stay long enough to catch our dinner. We grow vegies, herbs, buy flour (for bread) and other essentials online. The butcher & local growers home deliver. So there's rarely any need to go to the shops. Do people know about "Who Gives a Crap' TP and paper roll home delivery? Look them up, great small company doing good things for our planet. My wife and I are actually enjoying our time at home - and like others, catching up on all the postponed jobs! Stay well!

• Like 2

RAIDERS CAN I ASK THAT WE DO NOT DISCUSS STATS HERE

If you need to then please provide the link to the current stats from the Australian Government website.

I will post the link into the main COVID-19 information post in Site News and Info. There is a blue banner across the top of every page and you can click that to go directly to that post. 

If there is any raider that has access to Adobe Acrobat conversion pdf to other formats please message me. 

Posted (edited)

@Holls said, “My wife and I are actually enjoying our time at home - and like others, catching up on all the postponed jobs! “

I obviously have to work on that... I’m home 3 days a week and the missus is already social distancing herself from me and I’m sure she’s getting ready to kick me out! She reckons I’m always on my phone (Fishraider or Facebook) and she’s probably right. 😞😂

Edited by Berleyguts

POSTED ON THE FACEBOOK BAYSIDE COUNCIL PAGE 6/4/2020
Bayside Council is rXcVHcydVQE.pngfeeling sad at Lady Robinson Beach, Brighton.
14 hrsSydney, NSW

Our beaches and public car parks along the foreshore, from Kyeemagh down to Dolls Point/Sans Souci will be closed from Tuesday 7 April 2020 🏖

Sadly, if people aren’t prepared to protect themselves and our community then steps must be taken to do it for them.

The closure is a Public Health Order and fines do apply. The NSW Police Force can issue $1000 fines to all individuals not complying with the order 👮‍♀️👮‍♂️

Remember ☝️ ... if you must go out, you must stay 1.5 metres away from other people at all times 👤↔️👤 and you must not gather in groups of more than 2 people 👥

Let's stop the spread 🦠 and stay apart to stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Raiders,

My wife's original qualification was a microbiologist. Most biologists , for those who are unaware, process endless amounts of urine, blood and faeces samples looking for signs of things that shouldn't be there. Some of this is under a microscope and others using some medium or other indicator.

This earlier part of her life taught her some things about personal hygiene that have stuck with her all her life with the effect that she virtually never gets sick in spite of many occasions where our entire family had a cold or flu or what ever.

Her time in the lab taught her to wash her hands regularly with soap and water singing happy birthday twice as she does it, she doesn't absent mindedly touch her face or for that matter any surface like hand rails or toilet seats or door handles if she can avoid it. If she does, she washes her hands immediately.

She is by no means paranoid. I don't think she gives it much thought at all,  its just that the early training made it all second nature to do it because in the lab you could come in contact with some nasty stuff.  My nurse daughter is much the same now (after her training) but was much more likely to get sick before.

The message for me is that washing your hands and not touching your face or any surface you can avoid is the is the most important thing you can do. The problem is that it is not second nature to most of us so social distancing rules have to be applied to limit exposure.

This social distancing is effective not because the 1.5 meters stops transmission through the air as some would think. Unless someone is coughing or sneezing in your face it is not likely that you will get infected through the air.   Social distancing works  because if we are apart we can't touch each other or the surfaces we may both touch and pick up the virus that way.

I went through the mental process of going a boat trip to see how many surfaces I would touch after leaving home and here is the list.

The petrol pump, The coffee cups, the coffee machine buttons, the fridge door, the hot food doors, pay for the food, ice machine door, the hand rails at the boat ramp wharf where I tie the boat off, the same rails when I come back after a fish, the toilet door at the ramp, the fish cleaning hose and tap , the garbage bin lid.

I could prepare better I guess but it does demonstrate how many things you touch even on a simple boat trip.

Stay safe.

Jim

• Like 4

We've got it easy here, my mother is stuck in the Phillipines staying with my sister who lives there thankfully, she has been there since February, the phillipino government decided without warning to forcibly quarantine all citizens and lock the borders, soldiers now patrol the streets and you can't step outside with evidence of your geniune reason.