mrsswordfisherman

Fishing rules during COVID-19 isolation - discuss here only

I really hope they do to but after seeing some people today ... good luck.

• Sad 1

I work in Pharmaceutical wholesale warehouse, we currently wear masks, gloves and have hand sanitizer and soaps everywhere. Plus distancing implemented in lunch room. 

200 staff across 3 shifts go in and out.

The tubs that come back from the chemists, nursing homes, hospitals (hundreds per day) are not cleaned and its not feasible for us to clean them, so we rely on gloves, before re-stocking and out they go

Not to mention the amount of freight handled into and out of the business daily.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, fragmeister said:

Hi Raiders,

My wife's original qualification was a microbiologist. Most biologists , for those who are unaware, process endless amounts of urine, blood and faeces samples looking for signs of things that shouldn't be there. Some of this is under a microscope and others using some medium or other indicator.

This earlier part of her life taught her some things about personal hygiene that have stuck with her all her life with the effect that she virtually never gets sick in spite of many occasions where our entire family had a cold or flu or what ever.

Her time in the lab taught her to wash her hands regularly with soap and water singing happy birthday twice as she does it, she doesn't absent mindedly touch her face or for that matter any surface like hand rails or toilet seats or door handles if she can avoid it. If she does, she washes her hands immediately.

She is by no means paranoid. I don't think she gives it much thought at all,  its just that the early training made it all second nature to do it because in the lab you could come in contact with some nasty stuff.  My nurse daughter is much the same now (after her training) but was much more likely to get sick before.

The message for me is that washing your hands and not touching your face or any surface you can avoid is the is the most important thing you can do. The problem is that it is not second nature to most of us so social distancing rules have to be applied to limit exposure.

This social distancing is effective not because the 1.5 meters stops transmission through the air as some would think. Unless someone is coughing or sneezing in your face it is not likely that you will get infected through the air.   Social distancing works  because if we are apart we can't touch each other or the surfaces we may both touch and pick up the virus that way.

I went through the mental process of going a boat trip to see how many surfaces I would touch after leaving home and here is the list.

The petrol pump, The coffee cups, the coffee machine buttons, the fridge door, the hot food doors, pay for the food, ice machine door, the hand rails at the boat ramp wharf where I tie the boat off, the same rails when I come back after a fish, the toilet door at the ramp, the fish cleaning hose and tap , the garbage bin lid.

I could prepare better I guess but it does demonstrate how many things you touch even on a simple boat trip.

Stay safe.

Jim

Good post, I also went through the mental process of what surfaces I get exposed to which to:

At the petrol station: petrol pump handle (grab some paper towels at the petrol pump and use as a glove, but still wash/sanitise after), not the door because it's automatic, wallet/cards/phone when paying (tap). I don't buy food or ice from the petrol station, eat before I leave and we have ice blocks we freeze ourselves.

At the boat ramp, cleat I tie off at, the edge of the jetty I likely will touch when pushing the boat off, and also walking on the jetty, then stepping onto the gunnel - the gunnel could now contain some particles (give that a wipe). The rope - potentially as well. That's a fair few points of contact and also, I try to avoid the public bathrooms...

The reverse when you come back (incl. Tap for flushing engine).

Having said all that, I think I've thought about my points of exposure and it's just about keeping distance from other fishos and like you said mindfulness of touching face.

• Like 1

The 1.5 distance 'rule' is not actually in the regulation notice - it's just advice. Likewise the 4 square m rule for venues - nothing there to say people should use that space to stay 1.5 apart. The Health Department advice says stay 1.5 m apart 'if possible'.

1 hour ago, kingfishbig said:

The 1.5 distance 'rule' is not actually in the regulation notice - it's just advice. Likewise the 4 square m rule for venues - nothing there to say people should use that space to stay 1.5 apart. The Health Department advice says stay 1.5 m apart 'if possible'.

It isn’t “just advice”. It is an evidence based public health order to all Australians. 

Here is a discussion piece from Phillip Russo of Monash Uni. Obviously it is not a precise measurement but it is the best estimate to try and stop spread. Jim also gave some good info in his post. 
https://theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-why-should-we-stay-1-5-metres-away-from-each-other-134029

2844EE3B-07FC-4A8F-BEF3-196984893A36.jpeg

I think we all have an understanding of social distancing and why.

It is a pity some still don’t understand and stay at home. 
The beaches Maroubra, Coogee and Clovelly have all been closed yet again. It was like a normal crowded day there earlier apparently. 

B2D220A9-46A8-4A4C-B7BE-2DB45FDF561A.jpeg9472FC25-71DE-41E8-8898-C1E00E5DCE30.jpeg56B5459D-86EA-4AE9-828F-DA48A0E62C13.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I didn't say it wasn't good advice - just that it is not in the NSW gazette/ declaration. That makes it advice not law. There is legal opinion to back this up. And of course other rules actually in the gazette serve to promote social distancing, eg the limit on gatherings to 2 people.

Edited by kingfishbig

4 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I didn't say it wasn't good advice - just that it is not in the NSW gazette/ declaration. That makes it advice not law. There is legal opinion to back this up. And of course other rules actually in the gazette service to promote social distancing, eg the limit on gatherings to 2 people.

The NSW Police Force will have up to 70,000 officers deployed on the streets enforcing new coronavirus social distancing rules and self-isolating requirements in an attempt, as NSW police minister David Elliot put it, “to kill this virus before it kills us”.

And as of 12 am on 26 March, NSW police officers have been able to issue fines for noncompliance with the coronavirus regulations. Individuals found to be breaching the COVID-19 prevention measures can be issued with a $1,000 fine, while businesses can be hit up for $5,000.

The above looks pretty legal to me Phillip.

Go test it and come back and tell us how it went for you ;)

• Haha 1

Thanks for the discussion on social distancing. I think it has been covered fairly well and thanks to those that contributed. 

I have posted the Government Gazette that sits under the Public Health Order 2010 - link above

Lets all keep doing the right thing and follow the orders so we can all get back to some normality and out of Isolation. 

I am going outside with swordie to decorate a bit of driveway to have an iso dawn service - LEST WE FORGET

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks for the discussion on social distancing. I think it has been covered fairly well and thanks to those that contributed. 

I have posted the Government Gazette that sits under the Public Health Order 2010 - link above

Lets all keep doing the right thing and follow the orders so we can all get back to some normality and out of Isolation. 

I am going outside with swordie to decorate a bit of driveway to have an iso dawn service - LEST WE FORGET

Thanks for the clarification Donna.

Im putting my Aussie flag up on the balcony ready for sunrise to pay my respects.

Will miss all of the things that usually go with Anzac day, but I'll probably still have to many beers & will end up throwing a few double headers on my own 😥

22 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

The COVIDSafe app is now available for download and registration

B97BFBD2-273B-4369-BB16-19B2D2090B5A.jpeg

Yes, thanks Donna. I just downloaded it. I’m assuming I have to keep the app open for it to work. I close all my apps as soon as I’ve finished using them to conserve battery life, otherwise I won’t make it till lunchtime without a charge. I might only have to open it when I leave the house and see how it goes.

Good on you Baz you are helping yourself and others.

It is a great way to do contact tracing in a quick way.

Do yourself a favour and update that phone. These devices are not meant to last us 20 years like our old appliances. The technology advances so quickly these days. 
I went to a friend’s place last year to help her with setting up a new iPad she bought. I had to go to her desktop computer and it was almost unusable. It was over 10 years old. The new ones are so cheap now. 
Sorry off topic there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Good on you Baz you are helping yourself and others.

It is a great way to do contact tracing in a quick way.

Do yourself a favour and update that phone. These devices are not meant to last us 20 years like our old appliances. The technology advances so quickly these days. 
I went to a friend’s place last year to help her with setting up a new iPad she bought. I had to go to her desktop computer and it was almost unusable. It was over 10 years old. The new ones are so cheap now. 
Sorry off topic there. 

$1449 for an iPhone 11, with 256GB storage. (I only buy outright). Can’t afford it yet! When my iPhone 7 dies, I’ll replace it. I can’t get my head around an Android... 😬