Best night vision glasses for fishing

Milt

For those who like to fish at night what are the best night vision glasses for fishing that you have used? Most available glasses that I've read up seem to work well whilst driving, I'm curious to know what attributes make them great for low light fishing conditions? Thanks Milt

2 hours ago, Milt said:

For those who like to fish at night what are the best night vision glasses for fishing that you have used? Most available glasses that I've read up seem to work well whilst driving, I'm curious to know what attributes make them great for low light fishing conditions? Thanks Milt

You just need to define your question a bit.

If this for cutting down on glare from other surround lighting or for actually seeing in the dark?

The only real way to see at night is with proper night vision gear either digital or thermal & is very expensive.

Anything else would imo just be a gimmick.

Pretty much at most the glasses which I think you  are referring to are to cut down on glare from lighting. 

48 minutes ago, Milt said:

Hey Kingie Chaser, in thinking more along the lines of better vision in the dark and in low light conditions. Milt

If you wear glasses an anti-reflection coating may help a little. 

If you don’t wear glasses I don’t believe anything (like Kingie Chase said) will help short of night vision goggles.

If you need to use light make it as dim as possible to complete the task needed. Some people prefer red, but I think the brightness is more important than the colour

Has an aside, those amber night driving glasses are of no use, bordering on dangerous

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks lads, I highly appreciate the advice. I was hoping the night driving shades I saw on a recent advertisement were going to be miraculous as they suggested. Regards Milt

Those glare glasses your referring may well be of good use is some form depending on your location like harbour or river fishing where there is a lot of lights reflecting off the waters surface.

Even in that circumstance even both thermal & digital NV has some limitations as they are designed to work in virtual total darkness.

Good luck

Don't want to hijack topic but regarding light scaring fish.  Suddenly turning on lights or flashing them over or into the water will definitely scare fish off at night.  I fish with deck illuminated by big LED floodlight and also have blue squid lights on and it doesn't appear to spook jewies, tailor etc at night as long as light is constant.  Ron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, campr said:

Don't want to hijack topic but regarding light scaring fish.  Suddenly turning on lights or flashing them over or into the water will definitely scare fish off at night.  I fish with deck illuminated by big LED floodlight and also have blue squid lights on and it doesn't appear to spook jewies, tailor etc at night as long as light is constant.  Ron.

As per I said, non constant light is terrible, But. Constant light can actually be a really good thing! 

@bluefin!!!!!!

What part of what I am saying is complete rubbish????

Ok, while yellow is daylight low light situations like overcast conditions yellow will help give more definition & at night time reduce glare but they wont help you if there is no light.

What part of what I am saying is rubbish????

Sounds like your the self acclaimed professor when it comes tonight vision.

Maybe you should be working for the military 🙄

Edited by kingie chaser

Yellow night driving lenses reduce the available light by at least 10%. This reduces your vision in low light situations. Listen to Nutsaboutfishing, "Yellow night fishing glasses are of no use bordering on dangerous" I probably didn't explain I was referring to the Yellow lenses. 

What is even more frightening is the fact that there are people out there who wear dark sunglasses at night While Driving, as it reduces the glare / brightness of the on coming traffic. It works really well. Reducing the available light by 80%. May as well turn your headlights off! Also illegal !!!

Have spoken to quite a few, But they won't listen !!!!! 

When it comes to Spectacle lenses, over 45 years in the business gives my some authority !!!  Howard. 

Edited by bluefin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefin said:

Yellow night driving lenses reduce the available light by at least 10%. This reduces your vision in low light situations. Listen to Nutsaboutfishing, "Yellow night fishing glasses are of no use bordering on dangerous" I probably didn't explain I was referring to the Yellow lenses. 

What is even more frightening is the fact that there are people out there who wear dark sunglasses at night While Driving, as it reduces the glare / brightness of the on coming traffic. It works really well. Reducing the available light by 80%. May as well turn your headlights off! Also illegal !!!

Have spoken to quite a few, But they won't listen !!!!! 

When it comes to Spectacle lenses, over 45 years in the business gives my some authority !!!  Howard. 

Hi my quote was "amber night driving glasses are of no use, bordering on dangerous" and I was just commenting on them in relation to driving not fishing and therefore I wholeheartedly agree with you when used with night driving. The problem isn't so much if  you're driving in the city with a well lit environment, but this isn't how night driving always is. Usually there is much less light when driving so any tint reduces that reduces the amount of light our eyes get is dangerous.

I think  there may have been a misunderstanding between bluefin and kingie fisher,  I don't think KF was advocating wearing tinted specs for night driving but at the same time (as an optometrist) I fully understand blufin's  complete and utter frustration with the amount of misinformation out there promoting the benefits of tinted night driving specs.

Rebel. The older I get the grumpier I Am !!!!     My wording was a bit aggressive,  And yes I have fought against this  Advertising driven information My whole working life !. I have no anger, just frustration.   Howard.

1 hour ago, bluefin said:

Rebel. The older I get the grumpier I Am !!!!     My wording was a bit aggressive,  And yes I have fought against this  Advertising driven information My whole working life !. I have no anger, just frustration.   Howard.

@bluefin there are 10's of thousands of products out there in the world today which when people sell them they make these things all sound like they are going to save your life!

But wait there's more...…………………………….we will throw in a set of steak knives 

I have been burnt a few times on buying some cheap gear but learnt from my mistakes, the best thing anyone can do is research an item, look at as many reviews as possible to try & get an overall performance report.

So far I haven't been taken by those glasses they sell that give you supermans xray vision 🙄

In saying that I have bought a bit of cheap items that did what they advertised but due to the build quality didn't last very long, that's the risk you take! 

@Milt, there is no real substitutes when it comes to night vision but as I was saying it all depends on the location & what other sources of lighting is around as to what will be effective for that application.

Just to show what actual night vision is like I took these 2 pictures tonight from my digital NV camera over my neighbors roof.

One with the IR torch off which is what your eye would see & the other with the IR torch on.

A big difference right.

There is lots of tech out there now but if someone is advertising something that sounds to good to be true, it is 99.9% of the time! 

2000_0101_000337_004.thumb.JPG.f7776d7938304970fa34b75d559d1454.JPG

2000_0101_000421_005.thumb.JPG.a863f9b18c82b1d08926cedcbc4d0998.JPG

2 hours ago, bluefin said:

Howard it definitely sucks how greed can be legally used to endanger & con the vulnerable or ill informed & I can understand your frustration 

Edited by 61 crusher