Fishing for Food and Exercise

Oscarthebeagle

With the recent OK given by government and Friday being my RDO (I'm lucky enough to still have a job and be able to work from home) and good weather forecast it seemed a good opportunity to get out for a fish. I knew i could get out and back home without breaking any distancing laws, although i wouldn't be able to fish with my Dad (Hookerbruce) as i often do. Plan for the day was keep it simple and target fish for food, told I dad i was going and invited him to come along, he would just have to bring his boat.

Launched just after 630 at Grays Point, did my good deed for the day early when i noticed the boat that launched the same time as me still had his warning flag on their engine they where about to start let them know and than headed out to Jibbon Bombie to target squid. Dad arrived 20 min after me in his boat, things started slowly for the first hour with not much, did a few drifts, dropped one, saw a couple caught by other boats and then got a small one of my own. We had the boats close enough that we could talk and where just starting to discuss moving on when i got another squid on the sleeper rig (squid jig on a paternoster rig sitting in the rod holder) what followed was an almost unbelievable half hour where I caught 12 squid while dad in his boat,  just a short cast from my boat, couldn't catch a thing (even the other two boats trying to push into my drift couldn't catch a thing), we even reset our drifts and still i caught squid.  

Perhaps the most ridiculous capture was the one squid that dad caught from the back of my boat. I was pulling up a good squid on my casting rod when i noticed it had been followed by another squid. Left my squid in the water, called out to dad, told him what was happening and invited him to cast at the back of my boat, to his credit he landed his jig a meter or so from the back of my boat. I got to watch as the other squid saw the jig, followed it and the grabbed it,  giving a running commentary to dad as it happened.

Left the squid biting and moved out to 40m for a flathead drift, once again drifting the two boats within casting distance of each other. Now i was time for dad to dominate, we both caught our bag of 10 flathead in about 1.5 hrs but his were a much better average size. Most of mine were 35-40 cm with one bigger one at 49cm and alot of throw backs.    

After that it was time to head back to the ramp with dad taking his boat out and me picking up my two boys to take them out in the boat for a couple of hours break from the house (and give their mum a break from them too).  Did my second good deed of the day when we came across a broken down boat as we where heading through the slow zone, luckily only a short tow so didn't lose much time, remarked to the bloke that the boat looked very new and he replied "yep, picked it up on Tuesday"

Pumped some nippers and fished around Lilli Pilli sand flat, very quiet, the 4 yr old caught a good 30cm bream and the 6 yr old released a few little bream. After that we stopped on the sand and let the boys run for a bit.                             

Home time after that.

Having fishing potentially taken away makes you realize how lucky we are to participate in this past time.

Thanks for reading

Ash.

20200403_081714-1843x1382.jpg

20200403_133719-1843x1382.jpg

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Add photos and grammer
  • Like 12

This was just a short trip out had thought about the FADS but decided it wasn't really in the spirit of the covid 19 restrictions. 

Left home just after 630 home by 1130  straight to ramp and back no close contact with anyone. Not even my son. 

A photo of my catch some to my son rest to be eaten over next couple of weeks. 

20200403_152722.jpg

• Like 6

Great report & photos & good on you for giving both your wife & kids some reprieve & quality time as well as sharing a good fishing session with your dad at a safe distance 👍 out of curiosity where those squid caught on natural or coloured jigs 

Good on you getting out and producing a top feed.   Great way of spending some time with your dad at a distance.   Although I was kinda hoping he landed the jig in your boat 😂.

Edited by Welster

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

This was just a short trip out had thought about the FADS but decided it wasn't really in the spirit of the covid 19 restrictions. 

Left home just after 630 home by 1130  straight to ramp and back no close contact with anyone. Not even my son. 

A photo of my catch some to my son rest to be eaten over next couple of weeks. 

20200403_152722.jpg

Nice feed there Bruce.

Dave.

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

A nice feed there Ash. The Hacking has quietened down a bit, it should still be firing at this time of year.

Might have a flattie drift in Bate Bay tomorrow.

Hacking was very quiet. I noticed in the shallows the brown slimey winter weed had started to grow and i never catch much in the shallows when thats in the river.

5 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report & photos & good on you for giving both your wife & kids some reprieve & quality time as well as sharing a good fishing session with your dad at a safe distance 👍 out of curiosity where those squid caught on natural or coloured jigs 

Squid were caught on bright coloured jigs one fluro orange and one fluro pink. Tried brown, blue and green jigs before I had success.

5 hours ago, Welster said:

Good on you getting out and producing a top feed.   Great way of spending some time with your dad at a distance.   Although I was kinda hoping he landed the jig in your boat 😂.

It was a different days fishing. We would often be fishing in separate boats but was unusual to keep the two boats so close together for the day.

With 60+ years experience i was fairly confident with dads cast, although I was relieved to see that the jig in flight was heading towards the opposite side of the stern to what i was standing. 

Plus if he landed it in the boat i would have cut the line and kept it.

Thanks for reading

Ash

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

I noticed in the shallows the brown slimey winter weed had started to grow and i never catch much in the shallows when thats in the river.

The shallows at mum's place in Gunnamatta Bay has a big patch of the slimey weed. It is a bit early in the year for it to grow, normally appearing in winter, not autumn. The bream are not there, they have moved away.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

solid catch boys, I was there the other day fishing port hacking on fresh squid, live shrimp and pilchards without a single bite other than a puffer fish, no luck at all despite trying different rigs, baits etc haha landbased can really suck sometimes