Unusual sized hooks

Yowie

Seeing that some of us are posting unusual topics, try this one.

Who has an unusual size hook in their tackle box?

Many years ago, I purchased this box of hooks. The price tag has since fallen off, but the price was 1 shilling and 4 pence - which is about 13 cents in today's terms - so that was before 1966 when decimal currency started.

In the box was this silver hook, not meant to be there as the longs shank hooks are bronze in colour. I have never seen one like it for sale. It is 7mm long and just under 3mm across the gape. I never used it for fishing, but would be able to catch tiny poddy mullet on it, using 0.5 kg B/S line. 

The hooks were made in Norway, and better quality than others of today made in some of the cheaper countries.

fish.jpeg_230.thumb.png.d55d5cbc70c286f2dac0ef49c60d2526.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Not that unusual, but I had a mate that pro, rod and reeled yellowfin. When cubing was the all the rage, these were his hooks of choice. Quite small considering his best went 102kg.

4X9A9743.jpg

Look like a solid hook that would not let go.

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Many years ago, I purchased this box of hooks. The price tag has since fallen off, but the price was 1 shilling and 4 pence - which is about 13 cents in today's terms - so that was before 1966 when decimal currency started.

In the box was this silver hook, not meant to be there as the longs shank hooks are bronze in colour. I have never seen one like it for sale. It is 7mm long and just under 3mm across the gape. I never used it for fishing, but would be able to catch tiny poddy mullet on it, using 0.5 kg B/S line. 

The hooks were made in Norway, and better quality than others of today made in some of the cheaper countries.

Hi Yowie when I worked in a tackle shop years ago, other than a few Edgar Sealey hooks and a couple of sizes of Pescaro's and Holdfast, we had a giant range of Mustad's in boxes of 100 like yours. We also had hooks for sale in multiples of 10 which we used to count out and put into small purpose made yellow envelopes. They were the most common sellers and a job to constantly replenish the rack of envelopes.

Often, when tipping out a box for counting out in groups of 10 we'd find an unusual 'foreign' hook in amongst the contents, always really small and we had a collection of them stuck on black felt in a box. I still have a couple, but unable to get to my storage unit to take a photo of the tiny ones. Smallest would have been the size of a match head and gold plated, no idea what size number it could have been but smaller by far than a size 22!

Always wondered if they just fell into the boxes at the factory

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Yowie when I worked in a tackle shop years ago, other than a few Edgar Sealey hooks and a couple of sizes of Pescaro's and Holdfast, we had a giant range of Mustad's in boxes of 100 like yours. We also had hooks for sale in multiples of 10 which we used to count out and put into small purpose made yellow envelopes. 

Arthur Chapman's Sports Store at Rockdale is where I used to buy the Mustads, in boxes and packs of 10 in small plastic bags.

This was many years ago. Arthur Chapman was Gary Chapman's father. Gary was an exceptional fisherman, and he taught me a few things in my teenage years, until his death at sea when his boat overturned in a big southerly.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Arthur Chapman's Sports Store at Rockdale is where I used to buy the Mustads, in boxes and packs of 10 in small plastic bags.

This was many years ago. Arthur Chapman was Gary Chapman's father. Gary was an exceptional fisherman, and he taught me a few things in my teenage years, until his death at sea when his boat overturned in a big southerly.

I watched Gary Chapman and Ron Nelson catch a huge bag of Kings at the Peak in a Sydney Metro comp- he won it and they won champion team. Great tackle shop Arthur Chapmans also- used to buy 5 blocks of Pilly's for $12-  $2.40 a block and they were bigger than today's blocks!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

I watched Gary Chapman and Ron Nelson catch a huge bag of Kings at the Peak in a Sydney Metro comp- he won it and they won champion team. 

My first fishing trip with Gary was outside from the Hacking. I was the "burley boy." He caught the fish while I sent out the burley. 😂

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:06 PM, Green Hornet said:

Not that unusual, but I had a mate that pro, rod and reeled yellowfin. When cubing was the all the rage, these were his hooks of choice. Quite small considering his best went 102kg.

4X9A9743.jpg

My fatherinlaw had a profishing mate at Wolli who used these on his longlines and he got me a box.  That was nearly 40 years ago añd I caught my only marlin on one out of my tinny.  From memory they were made in Japan and model was called Taiwana Bari.  These could be used to tow a truck and were increadably strong and once the point went in it never came out.  In reality a non curbed circle hook.  Ron 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, campr said:

My fatherinlaw had a profishing mate at Wolli who used these on his longlines and he got me a box.  That was nearly 40 years ago añd I caught my only marlin on one out of my tinny.  From memory they were made in Japan and model was called Taiwana Bari.  These could be used to tow a truck and were increadably strong and once the point went in it never came out.  In reality a non curbed circle hook.  Ron 

Yeah,my mate said they originated on longline boats and if they stayed in until he stopped the first run, the fish was as good as in the boat.

• 7 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Yowie said:

Found some tiny hooks like that amongst dads gear when I was going through it all, looking at them I was thinking why would you purposely want to catch a fish that small 🤔😁

389144405_Vintagehooks.thumb.jpg.50947edb779832adeda2978fc9096abe.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

@kingie chaserWhen I was a kid it was always a task to find the smallest hook possible for poddy mullet on those days when they wouldn't enter any type of trap. They were also handy for garfish.

Number 12's were the smallest we could regularly come across. 14's were deal, but near impossible to find where we lived.

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

@kingie chaserWhen I was a kid it was always a task to find the smallest hook possible for poddy mullet on those days when they wouldn't enter any type of trap. They were also handy for garfish.

Number 12's were the smallest we could regularly come across. 14's were deal, but near impossible to find where we lived.

Still have some 14's (4540+half Mustad) the "supreme" Yakka and Garfish hooks for the estuary. Occasionally see size 12's in same pattern for sale, but never 14's any more. Got about a dozen or so 16's left and you can catch literally anything you would use for live bait with them.

Such a shame you can't find most of the old Mustad's anywhere, they had a pattern for everything and even the "bronze" finish (cheapest version) lasted as long against corrosion as all these "high carbon" hooks of today.

I have old cadmium plating, nickel and tinned hooks- particularly hooks for ganging- (tinned finish) that are getting close to 50 years old, still sharp out of the box and no rust.

Also, circle hooks have been around for as long as I can remember, used to sell stacks of Mustad "wide gape" pattern to deep-sea fishers for use on paternoster -type rigs, again bronze finish. They were also known as "deep sea Flathead" hooks

=half

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Found some tiny hooks like that amongst dads gear when I was going through it all, looking at them I was thinking why would you purposely want to catch a fish that small 🤔😁

When the poddy mullet are about 5cm long, and that's all that there are to catch, then I have used tiny hooks.

• 1 month later...

Here are hooks from my "collection" - cant say tackle box - due to lack of their use.

From top to down:

1)  Tuna Circle Size 16/0  and TMC Size 15 flyfishing hooks.

2) Waza's mentioned Wide Gap / Kahle hooks:  Mustad 7/0 and ? (the smallest one).

3) Unusual stuff Mustad large open eye 90 turn Size 4 (still trying to figure out what is it made for!) and Zebco Zander Double Size 6 hooks.

If anyone interested in really small hooks - check fly-fishing online or brick stores. You might be surprised what really tiny hooks they sell.

IMG_20210204_101214.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, savit said:

Here are hooks from my "collection" - cant say tackle box - due to lack of their use.

From top to down:

1)  Tuna Circle Size 16/0  and TMC Size 15 flyfishing hooks.

2) Waza's mentioned Wide Gap / Kahle hooks:  Mustad 7/0 and ? (the smallest one).

3) Unusual stuff Mustad large open eye 90 turn Size 4 (still trying to figure out what is it made for!) and Zebco Zander Double Size 6 hooks.

If anyone interested in really small hooks - check fly-fishing online or brick stores. You might be surprised what really tiny hooks they sell.

IMG_20210204_101214.jpg

The wide gapes are favoured by some Barra fishos up north.

My mate's dad (and two sons) was the importer/distributor for Mustad hooks. DP Whitton and sons. The moved premises to Shell Point/Taren Point many years back, from Sydney CBD and have since sold the business. My mate Ian has boxes and boxes of 'new' Mustad hooks. Was selling some of the rare patterns to collectors a while back. He has a LOT of fishing tackle stored away.

3 hours ago, Killer said:

My mate's dad (and two sons) was the importer/distributor for Mustad hooks. DP Whitton and sons. The moved premises to Shell Point/Taren Point many years back, from Sydney CBD and have since sold the business. My mate Ian has boxes and boxes of 'new' Mustad hooks. Was selling some of the rare patterns to collectors a while back. He has a LOT of fishing tackle stored away.

When I was a kid, the Mustad hooks had twice the strength of today's lot. I still gang the bronzed longshanks, 4540 and a half, for bait fishing the deeper waters of the Hacking.