Light Soft Plastics Setup for the Rocks

BuckWild

Hello Raiders

Does anyone here flick plastics off the rocks? If so what kind of setup are you running?

I'm looking at a 3000 size reel with PE 1.0 , but not sure on kind of rod I should be looking at.

Interested to hear what you guys are using

Cheers

Col

I have off break walls & from inside bays etc but not so much off open water rock but I done see why not.

Some of the issues would be what the bottom is like at a location, if it rocky or really weedy then your going to lose gear.

If the wind is in your face that your cast distance will be significantly reduced.

The way I see it is if your not getting a bite using a particular method then changing things up could make the difference between going home empty handed or not.

Knowing what species your chasing and what size plastics would be a big help, as well as how long a rod you need to suit the terrain you're fishing.

Personally, I throw 5-7 inch plastics on light jigheads under washes for snapper and use a 9 foot Shimano Coastal Spin (discontinued). Its rated 6-10kg and I match it with a Stradic 5000 and a quality PE 1.5 braid, that breaks around 15kg.

Sounds like a 4-8kg rod may be what you're looking at and around 8-9 foot long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, Green Hornet said:

Personally, I throw 5-7 inch plastics on light jigheads under washes for snapper and use a 9 foot Shimano Coastal Spin (discontinued). Its rated 6-10kg and I match it with a Stradic 5000 and a quality PE 1.5 braid, that breaks around 15kg.

Out of curiousity, what weight jigheads are you calling light mate?