Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out early this morning. Tried a quick troll around Jibbon, but no tailor, so headed out a bit past the Bombie and had the first drop as the sun was rising over the horizon.

Wall to wall spikey flatties at first, then after a while a few blue spots turned up. Just under and just over size. It was only a slow drift with a light westerly breeze. Was thinking of moving, then the spikey's slowed down and a couple of blue spots increased a little in size as the water deepened.

Drifted out to deeper water again, then the bites stopped. When I wound up, no bait at all, so  I tried small baits and pulled up one jacket, but could not hook any others. The jackets stopped then up came a small pigfish and 2 more flatties to make my bag limit. By this time I was due south of the lighthouse, and the drift took me about 3 hours. I had an unweighted pillie drifting along all that time, and near the end of the drift a small bonnie hooked up but spat the hook beside the boat. Not big flatties, the biggest past the 40cm mark.

Time to head back in. As I was motoring past the old Fisheries property in Gunnamatta Bay, there were uniformed police there speaking to people in the park. Have read that some people are fishing there in groups and not keeping their distance from each other.

Happy with a bag of flattie fillets. Some left for mum, a welfare check on her as she is staying home a lot, then home until my next venture out somewhere.

fish.jpeg_231.thumb.png.c8cd24aaf7a98365908dcc038218ece2.png

• Like 4

Nice work Dave

The smaller flattie fillets are sweeter just more work for less meat. Still a nice feed.

Lost the baits a couple of times on Friday without feeling a bite, mainly when over 40 m of water. Didn't get around to trying a smaller hook. next trip I'll try 1 large and 1 small hook

when the hackings quiet, head into bate bay ay...

great haul of flatties! 

went lilli pilli on the weekend and got nothing amazing. Lots of pilchards around. couldnt catch any though :(

Old fisheries property is on the corner of hungry point isnt it? i saw a few coppers along bass and flinders late last week

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

when the hackings quiet, head into bate bay ay...

great haul of flatties! 

went lilli pilli on the weekend and got nothing amazing. Lots of pilchards around. couldnt catch any though :(

Old fisheries property is on the corner of hungry point isnt it? i saw a few coppers along bass and flinders late last week

Yep, around there. There are large groups of fishos at night around Bass and Flinders, wall to wall at times.

3 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice work Dave

The smaller flattie fillets are sweeter just more work for less meat. Still a nice feed.

Lost the baits a couple of times on Friday without feeling a bite, mainly when over 40 m of water. Didn't get around to trying a smaller hook. next trip I'll try 1 large and 1 small hook

Bruce,

As I don't have a sounder in my tinny, I can only guess that the water is deeper than usual when the jackets turn up. 😀

It was a slow drift this morning, only a light westerly and no current that I could detect. A few small fish breaking the surface at times, bigger pillies perhaps.

Had a feed of flattie fillets tonight, skinned and boned, then crumbed and pan fried. I also tried the pigfish. Small but chunky fillets, also skinned and boned. A mild flavour, quite tender and very white meat.

I use 2/0 long shanks when drifting, a bit big for the jackets, unless the jackets are around 35 to 40 cm, when they will chew off anything. Size 2 might be better for next time. There was only a small patch of jackets, hopefully they stay that way.

Dave.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie...i can almost taste those fillets!

Thanks Rob.

I ate the last lot of fillets last night. Boned and skinned the fillets, rolled them in a bit of sweet chilli sauce and lime juice, the rolled them in shredded coconut and pan fried in butter. Very nice, a change from bread crumbs.

Dave.

• Like 1