Ramsgate Beach 5 April 2020

LandBasedKeith

Stringy Weed are scarce but blackfish are plenty. Luckily fishing is still allowed in NSW compared to those poor soul in VIC (on the spot fine of $1,652). 

Got very sick of staying at home and only time going out is out shopping for toilet paper. Finally convinced my GF to let me out for a session.

Last i was at Tonbridge St, the weed are mostly decimated, had to look somewhere else and manged to find some. Just a small handful.

Got to Ramsgate beach before 12 noon, low tides. The water is a bit murky but still okay. Uses 3 rods, 2 for blackfish and 1 for yellowtail bait fish. No bites for the 1st half hour. Focus all rods on blackfish and switch casting location slightly. 1st blackfish 41cm. Then 15 minutes later, at the same spot. 2 rods got strike one after another, landed 2 more 31-32cm. Then 2 more hookup later but both failed to land. Packs and goes at 2:30pm as the wind picks up. Total 3 fishes in all.

Blackfish20200406.JPG.f82c4cbb4c8e62a7760210272d1bd383.JPG

• Like 3

POSTED ON FACEBOOK BAYSIDE COUNCIL PAGE 6/4/2020
Bayside Council is rXcVHcydVQE.pngfeeling sad at Lady Robinson Beach, Brighton.
14 hrsSydney, NSW

Our beaches and public car parks along the foreshore, from Kyeemagh down to Dolls Point/Sans Souci will be closed from Tuesday 7 April 2020 🏖

Sadly, if people aren’t prepared to protect themselves and our community then steps must be taken to do it for them.

The closure is a Public Health Order and fines do apply. The NSW Police Force can issue $1000 fines to all individuals not complying with the order 👮‍♀️👮‍♂️

Remember ☝️ ... if you must go out, you must stay 1.5 metres away from other people at all times 👤↔️👤 and you must not gather in groups of more than 2 people 👥

Let's stop the spread 🦠 and stay apart to stay safe!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Good feed of fish btw, I got a garfish the other day on fry. I have been using baits that I can find and they have been getting me and my mate some really good fish and best of all the bait is free!

Hi Jamo, what is fry?

On 4/7/2020 at 1:22 PM, JamoDamo said:

Are the blackfish starting to move up the Georges river? I am really keen to get into catching them very soon.

No Idea. There are plenty of blackfish at Ramsgate Beach all year round. Where there is weed or cabbage, there be blackfish. 

On 4/6/2020 at 11:37 PM, LandBasedKeith said:

Stringy Weed are scarce but blackfish are plenty. Luckily fishing is still allowed in NSW compared to those poor soul in VIC (on the spot fine of $1,652). 

Got very sick of staying at home and only time going out is out shopping for toilet paper. Finally convinced my GF to let me out for a session.

Last i was at Tonbridge St, the weed are mostly decimated, had to look somewhere else and manged to find some. Just a small handful.

Got to Ramsgate beach before 12 noon, low tides. The water is a bit murky but still okay. Uses 3 rods, 2 for blackfish and 1 for yellowtail bait fish. No bites for the 1st half hour. Focus all rods on blackfish and switch casting location slightly. 1st blackfish 41cm. Then 15 minutes later, at the same spot. 2 rods got strike one after another, landed 2 more 31-32cm. Then 2 more hookup later but both failed to land. Packs and goes at 2:30pm as the wind picks up. Total 3 fishes in all.

Blackfish20200406.JPG.f82c4cbb4c8e62a7760210272d1bd383.JPG

how do u cook or eat these? i notice you mainly target ludrick haha. i caught them before but never tried them just gave them away...

On 4/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, LandBasedKeith said:

No Idea. There are plenty of blackfish at Ramsgate Beach all year round. Where there is weed or cabbage, there be blackfish. 

I am thinking of doing a blackfish session soon with my mate if hes keen at Ramsgate or another spot so thats good to hear. I've got close to 42 spots for blackfish weed so my bait supply should be fine, lets hope the blackfish are biting because I am so bloody keen to get into a few I can't wait to get a feed and a day full of fun!

JamoDamo

12 hours ago, papafish said:

how do u cook or eat these? i notice you mainly target ludrick haha. i caught them before but never tried them just gave them away...

I keep them alive in a keeper net till I’ve finished fishing.

Then fillet them and remove skin.

To cook, just dust in flour and fry in a bit of butter and small amount of olive oil.

Simple and delicious!

11 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

I am thinking of doing a blackfish session soon with my mate if hes keen at Ramsgate or another spot so thats good to hear. I've got close to 42 spots for blackfish weed so my bait supply should be fine, lets hope the blackfish are biting because I am so bloody keen to get into a few I can't wait to get a feed and a day full of fun!

JamoDamo

42 spots??? Holy hell Batman!

Ive got maybe 10 Jamo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burger said:

To cook, just dust in flour and fry in a bit of butter and small amount of olive oil.

Simple and delicious!

I noticed you have scaled them. That's not actually necessary if you are going to skin them. It might even make it easier to skin them if you leave the scales on. 

Brings back memories of my 20 year stint fishing the stones.

I got a bit tired of eating the fish plain fried and a friend of mine showed me a more tasty recipe.

Clean the fish: Bleed them, head them (scales on). Skin them (peel off skin with pliers). Fillet them (leave the rib bones on the spine). Cut out the lateral line bones. Cut the fillet into cubes and fry in a tom-yum paste. Serve on a bed of steamed rice.

The tom-yum covers most of the stronger flavour of the fish.

It worked well for me for many years until I gave up fishing the stones.

Divers and fishos became bitter rivals with lots of fights. Also some shady shore-based onlookers stole stuff (gear and fish) so I left the stones and got back to my boat fishing.

Well done Keith - your reports are unique here and are very much appreciated.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:03 PM, papafish said:

Very important - remember to bleed them. Blackfish are quite cheap at the store because they taste disgusting if they won't bleed.

27cm to 35cm - steamed with ginger(optional if fresh) for 7-8mins. If too big, make 3-4 cross cut so it will cooked proper but never over cook. Drain excessive water off plate, then sprinkles some salt, pepper, cut shallots and soy sauce on top then pour boiled oil(not too much) over the mix. 

35cm+ - cut into cubes size with skin on and deep fried with batter. Make sure keeping the skin as it is very chewy and give a very nice texture like cuttlefish. 

On 4/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, Burger said:

Simple and delicious!

Agreed, i also use a keeper net. Keeping them alive(fresh) is very important. I bleed(few cut to the gills on both side) them for at lease 15 minutes before i go, then throw them in the esky with ice before driving home. 

On 4/18/2020 at 1:20 PM, kingfishbig said:

I noticed you have scaled them. That's not actually necessary if you are going to skin them. It might even make it easier to skin them if you leave the scales on. 

I like to keep the skin because they are yummy steamed or deep fried.

5 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Brings back memories of my 20 year stint fishing the stones.

I got a bit tired of eating the fish plain fried and a friend of mine showed me a more tasty recipe.

Clean the fish: Bleed them, head them (scales on). Skin them (peel off skin with pliers). Fillet them (leave the rib bones on the spine). Cut out the lateral line bones. Cut the fillet into cubes and fry in a tom-yum paste. Serve on a bed of steamed rice.

The tom-yum covers most of the stronger flavour of the fish.

It worked well for me for many years until I gave up fishing the stones.

Divers and fishos became bitter rivals with lots of fights. Also some shady shore-based onlookers stole stuff (gear and fish) so I left the stones and got back to my boat fishing.

Well done Keith - your reports are unique here and are very much appreciated.

That is a unique way of peeling off the skin, i will give it a try some day.

Peeling the skin off required first to run the knife between the skin and the flesh, from front to tail, on the top of the fillet and the bottom. You need a narrow blade knife for this. Then you grab the skin with pliers and slowly strip it off.

When the skin is gone, you fillet the fish - so easy.