Shakespeare 2401 - Auto Bail Trip Not Working

Berleyguts

I thought I’d dig out some of my old gear that I’d kept to repair/tweak on a rainy day. Guess that time has come!

I have an old Shakespeare 2401 spinning reel - a sweet little reel in its day - I caught a lot of fish on it with 1 or 2kg mono. It’s in pretty good condition but the bail arm doesn’t always trip over when I wind the handle. Any tips on what to look for when I pull it apart? I don’t think I have the schematics anymore but from memory it’s a pretty simple reel.

Thanks,

Baz

AFFCD57F-F312-40EC-8561-E4BD584AA1C2.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
Punctuation

If it was working fine before you put it into storage, its possibly a little corrosion or gummed up oil/grease stopping it from tripping properly. 

Loosen the screw on the bail roller arm just a little, squirt a little Inox around and manually trip it a few times to see if it loosens up. If that's the case, just strip it down, give it a good clean, lubricant and you're good to go.

Nice little reel by the way. I had the smallest blue series Shakespeare. They had the smoothest drag going back in the day.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

If it was working fine before you put it into storage, its possibly a little corrosion or gummed up oil/grease stopping it from tripping properly. 

Loosen the screw on the bail roller arm just a little, squirt a little Inox around and manually trip it a few times to see if it loosens up. If that's the case, just strip it down, give it a good clean, lubricant and you're good to go.

Nice little reel by the way. I had the smallest blue series Shakespeare. They had the smoothest drag going back in the day.

Thanks. No, I put it away when the auto trip stopped working properly and never touched it since! Many, many years! But I’ll have a crack at it soon, thanks.

• Like 1