Projects to work on during Covid 19-New sounder

kingie chaser

Well I must admit times are tough at the moment in a number of fronts but when all this Covid thing broke loose I was at the start of an upgrade for my obsolete sounder in the tinny & in the middle of trying to get my dual battery system for my 4x4 completed...……..1st world problems I know 🙄 

Still while I am out of work & pretty much trying to comply with the directions of government & health authorities I am still trying to move forward with what I can do with what I have gathering in the bits & pieces needed to finish both jobs.

I had purchased a 'on sale' Lowrance Hook2-4 GPS sounder to replace my old portable 160 Hummingbird PiranhaMax.

The old unit was old school grey scale, no gps etc so its nice to be coming into the modern era, well sort of anyway.

The new Hook2 4 is GPS & colour screen 😁

I was thinking where to mount this new bigger model not really wanting to start drilling into the seats, where I was going to put the battery & how I am going to put a cover over it being in the tinny.

And the I had an epiphany, use the same portable Hummingbird set up which I can leave as is with the plastic body & zip up cover(not shown) but just change the transducer/mount which I am now going with the suggestion of @Green Hornet of the sliding mount on the transom.

Hummingbird.thumb.jpg.40817a6692f3aebc0974f87dd6c28841.jpg

Hook2-4.thumb.jpg.17fece33c18cce53ac8cf3010aaee49a.jpg

Not a big deal really but at the moment small things are keeping me amused & sane in these testing times

The 4x4 dual battery system need a lot more $$ to finish but I am getting the basics ready like the power board which is going in the tray.

Just trying to pass the time of day & keep the mind occupied :thumbup: 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

So I ended up finally getting my new transom sliding mount in the mail & finished getting it installed yesterday.

I incorporated my existing spray guard, just had to drill a couple of new holes in it & cut some of the base off & also drill through the alloy plate, line it all up etc. 

I was also able to use one of the two existing drill holes from the old transducer, the other hole I used some JB weld on the outside plus some on the inside with a small plate over the back of the hole, hopefully its all water tight?

I know we are still in partial covid lockdown but I think for my mental exercise I might have to go for a fish on Monday to test it all out?

386516061_Tansducermount.thumb.jpg.998118a9f51e452e3615846bdda6802d.jpg

sounder.thumb.jpg.dcd3f174c25b655eab3b2929c82e1886.jpg

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Kingie. Nice set up. Could you put more photos of your tinnie set up on here.

I have a few metres of similar stuff to your tranny bracket if you ever have a need for more of it.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I appreciate that.

This was a kit & it cost $14 so for me it was easy & not having fabricate the slide parts etc make it a good buy.

I know the though of making something from scratch is great but sometimes buying a prefab part if just a move viable option, not in all ways of course.

I have put some pictures of mods on my tinny before, some I think were in one of your threads I believe.

Basically this tinny was my fathers which he handed down to me.

Its a 1969 Quintrex Sportsman & its still going strong today.

I would really like to repaint it but unfortunately I don't have a space I can do living in a 1BDR apartment which is a real bummer.

But one day I will make it happen :biggrinthumb:

I just partitioned off half the double garage to create a craft room for my daughter. A good time to clean up and rearrange my fishing and camping gear. I gave myself a meter behind the garage door before her wall for storage and the wall down the middle i will move all my rods on to !!  Win Win !!!!!!!!  Howard.

Also thought I would share my birthday cake with everyone, My daughter had it custom  made for me .

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 7.18.07 pm.png

Edited by bluefin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefin said:

I just partitioned off half the double garage to create a craft room for my daughter. A good time to clean up and rearrange my fishing and camping gear. I gave myself a meter behind the garage door before her wall for storage and the wall down the middle i will move all my rods on to !!  Win Win !!!!!!!!  Howard.

Also thought I would share my birthday cake with everyone, My daughter had it custom  made for me .

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 7.18.07 pm.png

Howard that is gorgeous!

Happy Birthday by the way