Central West Cod

Will Wright

There are cod the whole length of the Macquarie river with access to the river being the hardest part. Easiest access points would be at root hogg fire crossing or long point from there it's pack your bags and start walking.

There are plenty of deep holes along the river but there has been significant fish kills recently due to the drought and poor water quality so could be tough fishing.

Pretty much all of the dams in the area have cod in them now but pretty much all of them are closed at the moment due to COVID-19.

Anywhere downstream of Goolagong on the Lachlan towards Forbes after the belubula joins with the Lachlan has plenty of cod, a lot of undersized fish but that’s not a bad thing and all very healthy. There are plenty of public access areas, check google maps and is a great place to fish in a kayak or tinnie with an electric. River is very low at the moment, releases out of carcoar dam have slowed right down. Spinnerbaits/chatterbaits work well but be prepared to lose a lot as river is chock full of timber. Really good surface fishing also but may be getting a bit late in the year now

Have had most success with yabbies and good old cheese, makes it easy for the kids too, photos from last weekend

Wyangala is still fishing ok, you’ll need a boat to target cod. Have caught the occasional one off the bank but not often

If you need some spots on the Lachlan send me a PM 👍

C5C56131-6A6B-4FD3-A50A-D633FAFEF282.jpeg

50410EA2-96A2-420D-A670-4651868AE401.jpeg

FBF91294-E754-45BF-AAC8-7942A68515BB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 12:26 AM, T_Bert83 said:

There are cod the whole length of the Macquarie river with access to the river being the hardest part. Easiest access points would be at root hogg fire crossing or long point from there it's pack your bags and start walking.

There are plenty of deep holes along the river but there has been significant fish kills recently due to the drought and poor water quality so could be tough fishing.

Pretty much all of the dams in the area have cod in them now but pretty much all of them are closed at the moment due to COVID-19.

Thanks mate, have you heard of jubilee Park on the macquarie near bathurst? I'm thinking of that spot because it is easy access, do you reckon there would be cod there? 

1 hour ago, Will Wright said:

Thanks mate, have you heard of jubilee Park on the macquarie near bathurst? I'm thinking of that spot because it is easy access, do you reckon there would be cod there? 

Any location is worth a try Will, the cod don't know if they're at a park with easy access or a remote location. What can affect the potential to catch them is the frequency that they are caught and their feeding habits. Some days you can catch them easily but more often they are likely to shut down. Only 1 way to find out, have a go. bn

56 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Any location is worth a try Will, the cod don't know if they're at a park with easy access or a remote location. What can affect the potential to catch them is the frequency that they are caught and their feeding habits. Some days you can catch them easily but more often they are likely to shut down. Only 1 way to find out, have a go. bn

Alright thanks! I am gonna try swimbaits and spinner baits? Is it too late for topwater? 

14 hours ago, Will Wright said:

Alright thanks! I am gonna try swimbaits and spinner baits? Is it too late for topwater? 

What Rick said. If you get a Cod on the surface it'll be the biggest thrill of your life. Good luck. bn

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:26 AM, T_Bert83 said:

Hey, root hog seems to be on the bridle track isn't it? I'm looking around on maps and can't find an access route to it. Can you drive to the bridle track or do you leave your car somewhere and walk? 

@Will Wright I have heard of Jubilee Park but couldn’t tell you what the fishing is like there. 

Root hogg is best accessed via hill end if coming from Bathurst direction as I’m pretty sure the bridle track never opened fully after a land slide a few years ago but I could be wrong. The track closed on the Bathurst end but the track down from hill end brings you onto the bridle track further along so you can access quite a bit of the river. 

As the others have said all those baits will work. Topwater is always worth throwing and is by far the most exciting way to catch cod. 

• Like 1