Bellambi Ramp. Police surveillance

recurve

Bellambi Ramp was busy busy busy yesterday. 5.30am the queue to launch was back along the entrance road. Never seen it like that, that early. 

We locals thought it would be a good day at the ramp and all the non locals would be gone. We all thought the calamities would be at a minimum. We were wrong. 

It was very clear that our local was over run by Sydney Boaters. The usual suspects in big boats with Sydney fishing club stickers and the dead give away of people who don’t know how to launch. Even had three deep parking so not sure how the middle trailer was suppose to get out  no doubt some altercations over that! Locals don’t do that, that’s Sydney boaters and a particular segment generally.

Heads up, if your 30k away from the Ramp your going to get fined. Police were scanning all the plates of cars and trailers in the morning  if your rego is not local  and you were at Bellambi yesterdayI think you have a fine heading your way  and you fully deserve it. 

Being allowed to fish is a privilege right now and it’s going to be potentially ruined for all because people won’t listen  hopefully these fines get out quickly and word spreads  

Weather was not good yesterday and fishing was poor so those that got fined won’t be feeling it was worth it.

So if your not a local be aware that they are scanning plates while your out on the water. And if you get fined you deserve it  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, motiondave said:

While I completely agree with scanning of plates and posting fines.......I think its a gutless way by police. While they might get a fine, they STILL have gone out for the day fishing. 

If a police car or two was standing at the entrance , stopping people whom are not local, handing out fines and sending on their way, would have been, a much better deterrent . Id say, people would have turned around and gone home with a hefty fine handed to them.

Its like the parking rangers hiding in their cars taking photos.

Get out of the car and walk around, people will quickly change their minds and either turn around, or cop a fine.

To me, scanning and posting fines is revenue and not really pushing a message to stay home.

But thats only my opinion about how the message should be spoken out .

Apart from the registered owners of vehicles being fined while in carparks I am sure NSW water police will be out in force during this week as well doing compliance check & asking to see your licence to ascertain your residential address.

So inevitably you could expect to cop multiple fines on the one outing if your flouting the laws & directions of the NSW government over Easter!

So don't be so quick to judge that its gutless by the police to fine just the parked vehicle owner!

I have no doubt if they find many out of town vehicle in the car park they will be calling the local WP to do a sweep of the area, double demerits, quadruple whami!

Where does it state you can't be 30km from a ramp to fish for food?

I know they say local, but everyone's local is different as some live right on the water others 50,60,100km away.Where is the line drawn?

I'm 70k away at times from where I fish.

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Where does it state you can't be 30km from a ramp to fish for food?

I know they say local, but everyone's local is different as some live right on the water others 50,60,100km away.Where is the line drawn?

I'm 70k away at times from where I fish.

It doesn't state 30km anywhere, ask the police what is local, they are enforcing or interpreting the order, its up to their discretion……………...or just roll the dice 😉

Edited by kingie chaser

11 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

It doesn't state 30km anywhere, ask the police what is local, they are enforcing or interpreting the order, its up to their discretion……………...or just roll the dice 😉

That's what I'm afraid of.It's not set in stone and not worth the risk.Personally if they allow fishing for food it should be anywhere as long as you follow the other rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

That's what I'm afraid of.It's not set in stone and not worth the risk.Personally if they allow fishing for food it should be anywhere as long as you follow the other rules.

Totally agree!! They allow us to fish so this shouldn't be an issue

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I have noticed that “food” has been taken out of the equation.

It comes under exercise in most of the media releases. 
 On another note Bondi to Bronte coastal walk is closed https://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/top_link_pages/news_and_media/council_news/news/corona/bondi_to_bronte_coastal_walk

• Like 1

30k was what was told to me by a tackle shop owner and i believe it was the police who told him.

Fished out of Port Kembla on Monday (Yesterday) Pulled over once by water police and by fisheries. Asked us for safety gear status and where we lived. Asked them what they were doing and he said that the last two boats they pulled over were from Sydney and were told to exit the water and go home. Other cop said that on Friday they turned a lot of boats travelling to Wollongong over and sent them home. The said at this stage they are just warning people. 

Long way to go to be sent home after just getting on the water. One of the boats we saw them turn away looked like it had only just launched. 

It's a curly one. If you come down from Picton or Appin you are deemed to be Sydney so should you travel 60k to Sydney or 30k to Wollongong. 

On the bright side we landed 16 good Flatties between two of us. Could have bagged out but figured we had plenty, good size to them as well and only in 12m of water so was very easy fishing. 

9 minutes ago, recurve said:

30k was what was told to me by a tackle shop owner and i believe it was the police who told him.

Fished out of Port Kembla on Monday (Yesterday) Pulled over once by water police and by fisheries. Asked us for safety gear status and where we lived. Asked them what they were doing and he said that the last two boats they pulled over were from Sydney and were told to exit the water and go home. Other cop said that on Friday they turned a lot of boats travelling to Wollongong over and sent them home. The said at this stage they are just warning people. 

Long way to go to be sent home after just getting on the water. One of the boats we saw them turn away looked like it had only just launched. 

It's a curly one. If you come down from Picton or Appin you are deemed to be Sydney so should you travel 60k to Sydney or 30k to Wollongong. 

On the bright side we landed 16 good Flatties between two of us. Could have bagged out but figured we had plenty, good size to them as well and only in 12m of water so was very easy fishing. 

I don't think 30km is written anywhere. Going on a long road trip to a regional area is not on, but going to your local boat ramp should be fine. The are some grey areas in between no doubt. There is a lot of legal opinion that many of these fines would not stand up in court due to all the contradictions and poor wording in the regulations. And you are still not obligded to tell a police officer anything other than your name and address.

2 hours ago, recurve said:

I live in Appin and can tell you now it's more than 30ks to Port kembla, Bellambi,windang etc.