James  Clain

How to film your fishing and upload to Youtube

By no means am I Blacktiph but I have filmed a few youtube videos documenting a lot of fishing. Here are some tips to get started filming, editing and uploading your videos. And by reading this I hope you are inspired to start filming and uploading to youtube so that fellow raiders can get more depth to your reports and see the fish. We can all share so much more when we add a video to it.

To get started all you need is a camera an editing software like Imovie or some internet a google account and something worthy to film. 

In terms of gear. The Action cameras that are waterproof are the absolute best because of the fact that they can be washed and have the smelly fish blood and scales removed.  They also won't break if you happen to get hit with spray or have a fish splash around boat side. The Gopro series of cameras fit this set of requirements quite well and they are what I personally use. The newer models are also slightly better because they can be run without a case and have more control of the recoding settings.

To get good footage while your fishing takes a little bit of practice but having a large SD (32 GIGS +) card in the camera helps so that you can have a better chance at filming the hookups. Getting good shots of the fishing environment that captures the widest possible angle while filming at the right times is crucial. I always film around just taking general shots of the lead-up to where you are going fishing which ads a little story to the video. Then film your first casts or drops, most fish come off the first cast on a snag or spot so make sure you film that. After a lot of filming it is good to shut down the camera but be ready to hit record straightaway if anything happens that gives you an inclination that you are about to hookup (Gopros turn on and record from their off status when you hit record which is another reason why I recommend using Gopro cameras). For example when I see some fish moving in on the sounder, sight cast, feel a bump, see ripples, see something chase or flash near your lure/bait, see a bust-up or when you just have that feeling my arm goes straight for record because getting the hookup on record is a much more entertaining and rewarding part of the video to watch because it replicates some of the feeling that you get when fishing. Sometimes you hookup before you hit record which is still fine, just train yourself to go for that record button like as quick as you can. I have even been fishing and gone to hit record even though I had no camera.

When you are filming your fishing outing it is also a good idea to talk to the audience on what you are doing or the reasoning behind what you are doing. Film yourself catching the live-bait, film the walk or drive or drift to your spot. Film the sounder and film the baitfish underwater. Just try and film interesting things to add size. A single clip video of you landing a fish is fine but some long well edited videos that have more of a story and capture your day are great. the Ideal length In my opinion for a fishing video is 7 minutes to 15 minutes. If you are below that don't worry. If you are above make sure you don't have too much footage that may be scenic and interesting but more of a waste of time. If your 20 minute plus video is just jam packed with action or has a really good underlying story don't change the video just to satisfy the length.

For camera settings I run my Gopro at 2.7k, 60fps. For youtube I recommend filming in 60 or 30fps and around that 1080p + range but not all cameras can do that and If you can't film with that sort of quality, that is fine just do the best you can. Another reason why I like Gopros , and I know other brands do this is that you can use a chest mount which sits the camera right next to your hands capturing the rod and reel plus what you are doing when trying rigs and baiting hooks. The Gopro head mounts and hat mounts are also great but they are harder to set at the perfect angle but I do prefer these for kayak based videos since a chest mounted camera sort of just films your legs. For the camera quality settings and angle adjustment the main way is to film something and check it and keep refining your art, I am stil doing this and will always do this. 

Now to edit your videos (This may seem daunting but its easy once you get the hang of it and its not hard). This takes a bit of practice but try not to make it hard for yourself, no need to overcomplicate things. The usb connection from camera to computer is better than putting the SD card in the computer because the data transfer is quicker and higher quality. If you have trouble importing your camera clips and google google google. Make sure when you are fishing not to film videos that are too long. Importing is a tough process and If you are like me with a small laptop you will be importing for a long time if you film something longer than 5 minutes. Remember that I film in 2.7k and 60fps which means a much bigger file. I can import a 10 minute clip of 720p 30fps footage but a 7minute 2.7k 60fps video just causes my computer to crash. So if you need to record longer just reduce the quality a little. 1080p still looks great especially if your camera has a clean shot. Once your photos are imported It's time to open up your editing software. I use Imovie  and if you have a mac this is what I would recommend simply because of the ease and the editing process. But if you have anything else by all means use it, filmora is a good alternative. Expensive software like Final Cut pro and adobe premier pro are not necessary for fishing videos because there isn't anything difficult. The editing consists almost entirely of camera cutting. To setup the clips so they can be imported takes a bit of fiddling around so google about anything that gets you stuck. Imovie lets you import each clip as you go from the photo library of you computer but regardless of any software, drag/import your clips in chronological order and do this with every clip and watch them over even if you think its not a good clip, you might see a cheeky shark do a backflip or something so don't discard without taking a good look. Camera cut your clips to the desired length that be the cast before you hook up, or couple casts before hook up or 20 seconds before your rod buckles. What I mean by this is don't just cut your clips so it's hookup and casts left right and centre, slow it down. If a shark did do a backflip in the corner of your video dont cut 2 seconds before and 1 second after unless thats how long your video was. Also edit your video so that everything runs smoothly. Delete things that are not necessary and potentially add a clip out of chronological order if it makes the video look better. Once you think you are done editing. Watch your video a few times and make any minor improvements. For video structure It is a good idea to look at some videos from some well known channels. The channel I mentioned prior "blacktipH" has very high quality and filmed videos that with all due respect to all fellow raiders aren't possible to replicate in your own style because he has a whole team who improve the videos incorporating drone shots. More individual Youtubers like Cavy, Lawson Lindsey, 1rod1reel. Film their videos on their own or with a friend in a way that can help us get better at understanding how to produce this type of video. Now google how to render or save you video into a desktop file. With Imovie you just press a share button and select save as desktop file, set the export as the same quality of you camera.

Now all you need is to either log in or sign up to youtube which is free. and then press upload video. then drag you file in and wait. It should slowly upload and then process, any issues here please google it. If the estimated time says something ridiculous like 2 days we need to take a step back. You need to get a program called Handbrake which reduces and compresses the file reducing the size by 70% or even more. Handbrake is hard to setup and get right and done well will still make your video have a lower quality.  Google how to use handbrake for the best result but trial and error will be the best here. Compress your video and have a look if its good try and upload it. If it is still taking a long time go back to handbrake and reduce the quality a little more and repeat those steps. please remember uploading to youtube requires good internet so if you are struggling in that department just reduce the length of the videos in general. 

Once uploading and processing is done mind you, you can do this while the uploading is in process. Write up your title and description. Put a good title that represents your video. Dont say something that does not match what actually happens in your video, saying "Almost spooled by giant fish" when you lost 50m of line from a mediocre sized fish is called clickbait and is frowned upon and will also reduce your audience. Write you description of your video just generally outlining or summarising your video. Dont worry to much about description but do add a link you your buddies Youtube's if they were with you and also link other videos that you have previously posted. The tags are also important. Just write keywords that regard your video words like "fishing" "fish" And "sydney" if you were say, fishing in Sydney. The tags will help you get more audience, when people are typing in certain keywords that match your tags your video has a better chance to come up and get a view. Your video thumbnail is also important Just take a screenshot of something inside of your video with your rod bent over or the fish you caught that day and and then select the file in the upload thumbnail section. If you get something come up that says file to big. Google how to reduce the file size of an image but what I do is put the photo into a photo editor and then export the same photo with reduced export quality.

Once your video is ready after your title, description, tags and thumbnail is done and the video processing is complete you are ready to upload your video. Now feel free to promote your video for either educational purposes like in a report. Show your friends and let everyone know on instagram and facebook about your new vid. Once you have started your channel and uploaded a few videos. start doing your own thing. Everyone is different or has a preferred style of fishing. Do something that makes you unique. If you like fly fishing do that. My channel is about doing different things. Write a description about your unique ness in the about section fo your Channel page. My description is "From fly fishing to down rigging". This is because my channel is about trying different methods and catching different species like fly fishing for mullet and down rigging for kingfish.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I hope you're gonna get out there and film some great videos! Feel free to correct or add your tips and tricks as there are a few of you here that can add to this. Also comment the links of videos that you may have recently made or will make due to being inspired by this writeup. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Feel free to get an idea for what I am talking about here this is my channel, have a look at the about section and also check out the channels in the recommended channels section which I named "Check these guys out" since they are all a lot better than me and will provide a lot more education.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCslDIkAOdx80kHPL8Lcr3TQ

Many thanks for your very comprehensive "how to" James Clain. bn

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Top You tube app James love your work and your post 

Edited by masterfisho7
  • Like 1

Great bit of information for anyone wanting to fine tune or have a go ūüĎć well done

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ive done a few videos, which I feature on my channel. 

I only use my cheap phone though, have not yet got a go pro or anything, and I got given a code for some editing software.

My videos are far from good, but its out there.

heres the most recent

EDIT, disregard the swearing from time to time, and my son is moderate Autistic , lucky he doesnt repeat my choice of words :D

Edited by motiondave
added info

9 minutes ago, motiondave said:

I only use my cheap phone though, have not yet got a go pro or anything, and I got given a code for some editing software.

heres the most recent

That is a great video full of action!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

heres the most recent

Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure with Josh, Dave. A very down to earth approach to fishing, even had a bit of comedy in it (f....ng $2 hook). LOL. Amazing what can be done, even with limited equipment. Cheers, bn.

• Like 1

Great read and education. Thank you.

• Like 1

Excellent tips James. I was asked to add to this thread but it looks like you've got pretty much everything covered! Your post was comprehensive, very informative and detailed a lot of the sticking points that one doesn't realise until they get to it. Good stuff!

I'll just give one piece of advice - make sure to have at least one spare battery. GoPro batteries don't last very long. They provide at most 2 hrs of operation time (or less if the battery has done many recharge cycles) which sounds like a lot but you need to factor in the time you spend with the camera on where you are not recording. You may need to check recorded clips, camera settings, retake the intro/outtro or you may forget that it's still on etc. I've even forgot to recharge the batteries sometimes before going for a fish. You can prevent all the problems associated with this mishap simply by having extra batteries. Good luck!

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure with Josh, Dave. A very down to earth approach to fishing, even had a bit of comedy in it (f....ng $2 hook). LOL. Amazing what can be done, even with limited equipment. Cheers, bn.

Thanks mate :D

F..ing fish, f..ing conditions. f..ing!

Its nothing special, but thanks, Ive done a few other videos you can see via my channel, so if you want some more entertainment, feel free to browse. Im getting a bit f...ing better at videos 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Excellent tips James. I was asked to add to this thread but it looks like you've got pretty much everything covered! Your post was comprehensive, very informative and detailed a lot of the sticking points that one doesn't realise until they get to it. Good stuff!

I'll just give one piece of advice - make sure to have at least one spare battery. GoPro batteries don't last very long. They provide at most 2 hrs of operation time (or less if the battery has done many recharge cycles) which sounds like a lot but you need to factor in the time you spend with the camera on where you are not recording. You may need to check recorded clips, camera settings, retake the intro/outtro or you may forget that it's still on etc. I've even forgot to recharge the batteries sometimes before going for a fish. You can prevent all the problems associated with this mishap simply by having extra batteries. Good luck!

Charging the Gopro batteries in in the fishing setup routine now. Sometimes I forget. I own 2 but sometimes that is not enough when you are fishing all day. Great tip!!