Just arrived in Ettalong Beach and looking for fishing buds

Hi Fishraiders

The wife, my boy and I have moved to Ettalong Beach and I'm looking to meet some fisho mates.

If anyone is looking for company and wants to go for a fish in Brisbane Waters then I'm your guy.

I'm 44 years old, boat-less and have been sticking with land based so far.  Loving our new home, but having limited success so far in the fishing department.  Would be great to go fishing with a boated up local who can teach me a trick or two.

Will supply beer, snacks and happy to chip in for petrol!

Cheers

Luke

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Hi Fishraiders

The wife, my boy and I have moved to Ettalong Beach and I'm looking to meet some fisho mates.

If anyone is looking for company and wants to go for a fish in Brisbane Waters then I'm your guy.

I'm 44 years old, boat-less and have been sticking with land based so far.  Loving our new home, but having limited success so far in the fishing department.  Would be great to go fishing with a boated up local who can teach me a trick or two.

Will supply beer, snacks and happy to chip in for petrol!

Cheers

Luke

Hi Luke and welcome to Fishraider. The timing for your request for a fishing buddy with a boat may be a little off mate while this covid-19 pandemic is still around. It may be best if you find out who may be able to assist you when they are able to due to, the regulations in place at present. Good luck when you do get "on the water", there's plenty of fish in the sea. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

Hi @kingie chaser

I did a lot of estuary fishing for bream and whiting mainly.  Also loved doing overnight solo hikes for trout.  

We are loving living at Ettalong.  Slowly, but surely finding my spots and getting some fish.

Off topic, but had a funny experience off the Phegans Bay pier on Sunday with my 4.5 year old boy getting nailed by a massive flatty (60cm plus easy) on a kids lipstick rod on 6 pound with a running sinker/long shank rig.  The funny part was he was just dunking the singer and red long shank off the side of the pier, letting it hit the bottom and then he would wind it back up.  Must have been hitting a croc on the knogg'in as it took the bait-less hook and tore off at a rapid pace.  It did a figure 8 around the jetty before busting off.  My missus was hanging off the edge trying to scoop it up in a bucket.  I was too busy laughing my ass off.  Good times!  

Cheers

Luke

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Luke and welcome to Fishraider. The timing for your request for a fishing buddy with a boat may be a little off mate while this covid-19 pandemic is still around. It may be best if you find out who may be able to assist you when they are able to due to, the regulations in place at present. Good luck when you do get "on the water", there's plenty of fish in the sea. Cheers, bn

Thanks @big Neil

Good point you raise!  I'll stick with land based flicking for the meantime.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Hi @kingie chaser

I did a lot of estuary fishing for bream and whiting mainly.  Also loved doing overnight solo hikes for trout.  

We are loving living at Ettalong.  Slowly, but surely finding my spots and getting some fish.

Off topic, but had a funny experience off the Phegans Bay pier on Sunday with my 4.5 year old boy getting nailed by a massive flatty (60cm plus easy) on a kids lipstick rod on 6 pound with a running sinker/long shank rig.  The funny part was he was just dunking the singer and red long shank off the side of the pier, letting it hit the bottom and then he would wind it back up.  Must have been hitting a croc on the knogg'in as it took the bait-less hook and tore off at a rapid pace.  It did a figure 8 around the jetty before busting off.  My missus was hanging off the edge trying to scoop it up in a bucket.  I was too busy laughing my ass off.  Good times!  

Cheers

Luke

🤣

Sounds like the young bloke was nearly on the board before the old man :whistling:🤨😂

• 6 months later...

You could also try the fishing club at the pub in Umina .

When i fish that area it is usually drifting for flathead either side of the channel marker at half tide rocks .

You really have to have your mind focused on your surroundings there on a weekend as it gets very busy !

You can fish the little beach opposite half tide rocks , an hour either side of high or low tide  preferably on the neap tides and you want your bait to trot across the bottom .

just north of that spot is the novotel and the channel swings to the  east as you travel upstream to get around a decent sized sand bank , fishing here at night on the run up tide with nippers will yield some bream ,flatties and whiting ,try fishing the edges of the banks where it drops into deeper water at first as the fish will stack up here until they feel there is enough water over the bank to get up there and feed . You need to pack light and fish light here and chucking a lure around is also an option - obviously you want water over the flat so the last of the run in and most of the run out would be my preferred time with a lure. The flathead  push right up over the sand flat as the tide rises to hunt , you can go there at low tide and look for the lays where the flathead have buried themselves into the sand .

One good thing about being new to the area is you have a lot of exploring to do !

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...