Dusky flathead flesh colour

Holls

Question

I asked this question about a year ago but not sure if we got to the bottom of it. There must be some research somewhere but can't find it.

Two Dusky Flathead caught in Burrill Lake one day apart, both 46cm long. Good fish! Note the difference in flesh colour and texture.

Anyone have info on this?

2020 April 20c.jpg

White flesh 20.04.2020.jpg

Yellow flesh 21.04.2020.jpg

14 answers to this question

So both killed in the same way & in the same amount of time?

No difference in external colour?

Different sex??

If it is female is still might be in spawning mode as spawning starts in spring but is known to go until Autumn?

Never seen a flathead's flesh that colour but most of the time imo that could come down to what they have been eating over a long peroid, it could have recently moved in from another area?

Might need to ask a marine biologist. 

16 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

So both killed in the same way & in the same amount of time?

No difference in external colour?

Different sex??

If it is female is still might be in spawning mode as spawning starts in spring but is known to go until Autumn?

Never seen a flathead's flesh that colour but most of the time imo that could come down to what they have been eating over a long peroid, it could have recently moved in from another area?

Might need to ask a marine biologist. 

9 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

As mentioned, I was thinking too that possibly one was a female in spawning mode ??

Did they taste any different?

Both same size, caught on same SP in the exact same spot. Both very dark colouring, vigorous fighting. Def not sick or unhealthy. Unlikely to have a different diet. Yes, think it might be something to do with spawning female - perhaps after spawning? Will be more careful next time to determine sexes. Thanks for your responses.

I have seen them kind of pink too, most are just normal Flathead colour, but now and then you get those odd ones, is the blood line actually brown? it kind of looks like it is, rather than "fresh blood" colour, I can't say I ever noticed that before.

I have seen that colour a lot in estuary caught flathead which predominently live around weed beds with the flesh not being as firm as the blue spot or ocean caught species.

It is off putting when it comes to eating but have never had any issues with eating them.

Have been getting a few good numbers out of the bay recently all around that 40cm mark and they are that clean white flesh along with the tailor that are lurking in there as well. If you look after them as soon as they are caught and straight on ice they will keep nicely.

The Skipper

• Like 1

23 hours ago, the skipper said:

I have seen that colour a lot in estuary caught flathead which predominently live around weed beds with the flesh not being as firm as the blue spot or ocean caught species.

It is off putting when it comes to eating but have never had any issues with eating them.

Have been getting a few good numbers out of the bay recently all around that 40cm mark and they are that clean white flesh along with the tailor that are lurking in there as well. If you look after them as soon as they are caught and straight on ice they will keep nicely.

The Skipper

Yeah no shortage of fish in our lake at present. I can catch the 'white flesh' ones and the 'peach coloured' ones side by side, same day, same size. Weird.

• Like 1

Just now, noelm said:

Flathead in fish pie? seems a bit strange, I usually use lesser "quality" fish for pie and fish cakes and stuff.

We have duskies coming out of our ears. Supplying several locked down neighbours. We eat em every way we can! fry, crumbed, battered, poached - you name it 🙂

• Like 1