Passive Excercise Fishos doing the right thing

Hi Raiders ,

I sat back like a lot of others contemplating life without wetting a line for several months when the restrictions were originally put in place which I have no problem abiding by.

The hardest thing for me is not being able to see my kids and cuddle our gorgeous grand children but as the old saying of " absence makes the heart grow fonder " I am just so glad they are all safe and well during this horrific time in our lives which we should all take stock of and change the way we do things everyday.

After the minister included fishing as a type of exercise I thought long and hard about whether it was the right thing to go and wet a line.

It eventually got the better of me but instead of just rocking up at the boat ramp I did a recon drive, without the boat , to the ramp at Foreshore Drive where I found a police van and the army had taken up residence in the car park.

I went over and spoke to the police who were really helpful and explained the restriction requirements for fishing. 

There were about twenty boat trailers in the car park  and the cops said that everyone who put in that day had complied with restrictions and no fines had been issued to date.

So I decided to get back on the water which we did one day last week and had a great session guilt free.

It appears that the fishos are doing the right thing so far so lets keep it going so we can all enjoy one of life great joys. 

Tight lines

The Skipper   

• Like 6

So what did they say about the distance rule of 1.5 m? Obviously a bit hard to do on a small boat. But then they say you are allowed to exercise with one other person. Does this override the distance rule? That's the only thing I am not clear on.

As far as I know, the distance rules apply to people you are not isolated with. 

My daughter and I took the kayaks out the other day on Wapengo Lake. Spotted a lot of flathead on the flats and it was a great day out on the water, we saw one other boat the entire day. It was the first time we had gone off the property in nearly 6 weeks.

As we were packing up another family group arrived at the ramp taking out a large canoe. The ramp is tiny....very tiny, more like a beach launch.

The police were also on hand and remarked how well the fishos managed the area around themselves. They had been out making sure people were not camping up near the inlet. 

J

Sorry The Skipper, Thanks for the report.

Edited by Jocler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

So what did they say about the distance rule of 1.5 m? Obviously a bit hard to do on a small boat. But then they say you are allowed to exercise with one other person. Does this override the distance rule? That's the only thing I am not clear on.

I think most of us got the DPI newsletter - it was also posted by @kingie chaser in another topic:

On 4/15/2020 at 12:40 PM, kingie chaser said:

The news letter is crystal clear - "NSW Police advised that recreational fishing is permitted, as long as people follow all other advice in relation to social distancing and gatherings of two or more people."

So fishing as an exercise does NOT override any social distancing requirements. Infact just look at any of the other exercise sports that have been stopped - eg any contact sport - NRL etc.  Exercise itself does NOT allow you to override the social distancing measures. The message is if you can implement social distancing within the sport then you are compliant. Two people that do NOT co-habitate must keep 1.5m apart. 

There are many types of fishing where this is not an issue - eg beach, rock, spear fishing etc... as long as you don't use the same transport to get there !

Similarly, my wife and I live and sleep together. We are ok to fish alongside anywhere or in any size vessel - but If I wanted to go out with my mate I'd better have a vessel large enough to ensure 1.5m distance and we'd better not arrive in the same car.

At the boat ramp, carpark, servo  - implement social distancing.

To me its pretty clear.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What about the social distancing you see on the news with a copper up at drivers window of a car for either breath testing/drug swabbing  or checking compliance with corona distancing. You see it on the roads everyday as well.  I suppose they have super human immunity. 

First in line  at a set of traffic lights the other day, then as per usual had a motorbike rider (queue jumper)  sneaks up next to my front right hand driver wheel  to be first off the mark. Being a tradie grabbed my stanley tape off the seat set it to 1.5  and tapped him on the shoulder and requested he move forward to the social safe distancing requirements. Funny to watch from his response from first surprise/ then aggro/ then compliance posture. Wasn't a bike copper so no super human powers exemption. Flu season next so really be afraid, Corona's just a little brother in this country.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/47E19CA15036B04BCA2577570014668B?Opendocument

26 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

I think most of us got the DPI newsletter - it was also posted by @kingie chaser in another topic:

The news letter is crystal clear - "NSW Police advised that recreational fishing is permitted, as long as people follow all other advice in relation to social distancing and gatherings of two or more people."

To me its pretty clear.

Cheers Zoran

Well if it's  'crystal clear' the why the mention gathering of 2 persons? At best it's poorly worded, at worst contradictory. Ie why need to mention 2 people if the 1.5m rule applies?  I could go on but hardly any of it is clear according to most lawyers.

16 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

why the mention gathering of 2 persons

... because you can have 2 people gathered 1.5m apart ...it happens at the supermarket register, at the post office, at bunnings, at the chemist ..... 2 people gathering does not mean 2 people "hugging", "wrestling", "dancing" etc...

19 minutes ago, letsgocrabbing said:

What about the social distancing you see on the news with a copper up at drivers window of a car for either breath testing/drug swabbing  or checking compliance with corona distancing. You see it on the roads everyday as well.  I suppose they have super human immunity. 

.. many ways to look at it ... but i think it falls into essential services ... makes me want to take my hat off to the "essential service workers" who have NO CHOICE but to get close - to do their job ....   we on the other hand all have a choice.. 

... imagine the copper going home at night to his wife and kids and wondering if he brought the bl**dy virus home ... They know they a re not superhuman ....  you can choose to view them as privileged or just as people on the front line.

Again - your choice.

Cheers Z 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

... because you can have 2 people gathered 1.5m apart ...it happens at the supermarket register, at the post office, at bunnings, at the chemist ..... it gathering does not mean 2 people "hugging", "wrestling", "dancing" etc...

I'm talking about the specific allowance for 2 people to exercise together. 

2 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I'm talking about the specific allowance for 2 people to exercise together. 

so am I mate ...   "as long as people follow all other advice in relation to social distancing and gatherings of two or more people." ... which means if you don't live together keep 1.5m apart. 

Thats why there is no footy, boxing, wrestling, ... no contact sports....

56 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

so am I mate ...   "as long as people follow all other advice in relation to social distancing and gatherings of two or more people." ... which means if you don't live together keep 1.5m apart. 

Thats why there is no footy, boxing, wrestling, ... no contact sports....

They all have more than 2 people (when you have trainers, refs, maybe spectators etc). All I am saying is there are lot of contradictions and poor wording. Eg the some of the fines issued such as a guy going to a carwash at 2am (if that's non essential then why is the car wash open)? People resting after exercise (isn't that part of exercise)? Also remember that it's not the DPI or the Police's job to interpret the law. The law is what is in the original government gazette.

Edited by kingfishbig

I think we’ve lost track of Paul’s post! 
Paul was merely saying that he struggled with the thought of doing the wrong thing. So he checked, he complied and had a great, safe day out fishing! 

Hope you caught a few nice ones! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

@kingfishbig Police are not superhuman but do a superhuman job!   #Respect

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Paul was merely saying that he struggled with the thought of doing the wrong thing. So he checked, he complied and had a great, safe day out fishing! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

And I was just asking what they said in relation to the 2 person rule. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff you hit the nail on the head I was feeling the guilts about just turning and in my mind I did the right thing.

As far as the fishing was I had an awesome day with son with a creel full of flatties and an awesome session for around 40 mins throwing some metal at a huge school of tailor.

Anway mate thanks for your clarity on this and look forward to Easter when we can hopefully do that fishing trip.

Cheers 

Paul

• Like 1

Gentlemen , gentlemen please take a chill pill and do not read too much into my post.

I was just trying to do the right thing and convince myself it was ok to go fishing which I did both things.

Apart from all the interpretations  of the restrictions the police made it plain and simple to me.

- two people per boat who reside at the same residence of which you must have proof.

- your intention is to go fishing not just pleasure cruising.

- be aware of the 1.5 distance rule at all times 

these are the rules I followed and we did not have any issues even with having a visit from maritime and police on jet ski during the day they to were really good and again just doing their job.

So get out there and have a fish it sounds to me like you all need to wet a line.

Cheers and tight lines !

The Skipper

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Skipper 

What did you catch when you went exercising 

Hi Hookerbruce,

Mate we got amongst some nice flatties and hit a huge school of tailor that stayed up for nearly 45 mins gusting themselves on whitebait.

Cheers

The Skipper

For those of you interested bellow is the email I got for marine rescue a few days ago.

MRSS/Radio Club Newsletter
Yahoo/Inbox
  • photo?spsize=80X80&fallback_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fdh%2Fap%2Fsocial%2Fprofile%2Fprofile_a64.png&alphatar_photo=true&appId=YMailNorrin&badge=false&appId=YMailNorrin
    Marine Rescue Sydney <mrss.terreyhills@marinerescuensw.com.au>
    To:@yahoo.com
    Unsubscribe
    Sat, 18 Apr at 10:44 am

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

MRSS/Radio Club Newsletter

"Marine Rescue Sydney"
    14th April 2020

Dear Radio Club members,

The corona virus pandemic has certainly changed our world and will continue to affect our occupations and other interests including recreational boating.

Our Communications Centre at Terrey Hills, “Marine Rescue Sydney”, however, continues to provide 24 hour seven days a week radio coverage for all vessels in the greater Sydney area and we will maintain this service.  The volunteer radio operators are filling all rosters and are determined to maintain our standards of communication and service to the boating public.

At the Terrey Hills base we have the technology to cover the other Marine Rescue radio bases along the New South Wales coast.  During the recent bushfire emergencies, we were able to continue coverage for several bases which had to close.  Again we are covering any bases which chose to close because of the pandemic. All our rescue vessels are ready to put to sea as required.

Your support, as members of the MRSS/Radio Club over the years has helped us to recruit, train and keep our volunteers, upgrade our facilities and provide radio coverage for Sydney -  and now any part of the NSW coast if required. For example in the month of March 2020 the Terrey Hills base handled 2,372 calls including 216 assists, 1 Pan Pan and 3 Maydays.

We have now received the Boating Rules in the COVID-19 Pandemic from NSW ROADS & MARITIME SERVICES:

 As of March 31, NSW Government public health directions require people to stay at home unless they have a ‘reasonable excuse’.

Unless you have an essential need to be out on your boat, you should stay ashore.

 However, a ‘reasonable excuse’ to use your boat could be to:

1. exercise (e.g. kayaking/sailing/paddling etc.);
    2. fish for food;
    3. get to and from work, where the work cannot reasonably be performed from home;
    4. get groceries; or
    5. to provide assistance, care or support to an immediate member of your family.

If you do decide to go boating, it is important to remember that the physical distancing rules apply at all times, including at the boat ramp and on your boat.

 This means you should only be on your boat alone or with no more than one other person or with family who ordinarily live in the same household as you unless you have a large boat.
     If you decide you do need to go out, stick to your local waters. Heading off on a road trip & extended voyage is not considered to be an essential need.

 Visit the NSW Government website (nsw.gov.au) for regular updates.

MARINE RESCUE NSW ADVISES:
     we are all safest at home right now. Please don’t risk your health or that of our volunteers unless you really must head out on the water. Stay home & stay safe.

 if you do head out, remember to Log On and Log Off with Marine Rescue NSW on your marine radio or the MarineRescue App.

 in an emergency, call MRNSW on VHF Channel 16 or call Triple Zero (000).

If you do require assistance, you may be asked the following questions:
    1. Is everyone on the vessel well?
    2. Has anyone on the vessel virus-like symptoms?
    3. Has anyone on the vessel been overseas recently or been in contact with someone who has been overseas recently?
    The information will be passed on to any vessel tasked to assist

The answers to these questions will in no way affect your rescue; they are to prepare the rescue crew so that they can take additional protection precautions if needed.

Don’t forget to check out the bargains at the marine rescue shop, where your membership gives you discounted pricing.

And so, with a few necessary precautions and variations, Marine Rescue Sydney at Terrey Hills is business as usual.  We thank you for your continued support and look forward to being of service to you, should the need arise, even in these trying times.

Frank Haviland
    MRSS Officer
    Marine Rescue Terrey Hills radio base
    0411 153 458

• Like 1

"If you do decide to go boating, it is important to remember that the physical distancing rules apply at all times, including at the boat ramp and on your boat.

 This means you should only be on your boat alone or with no more than one other person or with family who ordinarily live in the same household as you unless you have a large boat".

Well that was what I was querying. That implies you can have another person on your boat who is not a household member.

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

"If you do decide to go boating, it is important to remember that the physical distancing rules apply at all times, including at the boat ramp and on your boat.

 This means you should only be on your boat alone or with no more than one other person or with family who ordinarily live in the same household as you unless you have a large boat".

Well that was what I was querying. That implies you can have another person on your boat who is not a household member.

"Unless you have a big boat" ?? wonder what is classified as big?? 7m would be safely able to have three people on it with 1.5m spacing.

The rules as worded are anything but clear, and not just for fishing.

What people need to remember is the overarching rule, whereby (basically):

If you find yourself wondering and picking holes in the public messaging;

If you find yourself feeling personally aggrieved by uncertainty about which of your leisure activities from The Normal Times is allowed;

If, in short, you have to ask...

The answer is no.

Corporations will be bailed out, small businesses will be be free to fire all their casuals then try their luck once restrictions relax, and yahoos will act like the rules are a personal affront, but the overarching heroes of a successful public health outcome will be people applying the cautionary principle.

And of course the medical and emergency services people who probably won’t get their due kudos, and instead put up with abuse and whining for the duration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Squ!rt said:

"Unless you have a big boat" ?? wonder what is classified as big?? 7m would be safely able to have three people on it with 1.5m spacing.

7m ... hmmm... is the craft a bowrider, center console or cabin cruiser? All would have different implications on ability to meet 1.5m social distancing requirement. Honestly guys, I think you are trying to read too much into this - maybe to satisfy a particular scenario you have in mind. 

The MRSS letter (like the other official communication) states in bold "physical distancing rules apply at all times" .... including at the boat ramp and "on your boat". This is the rule.

The sub bullet that talks about being alone or with no more than one person ...  still has to abide by that first bold statement - the rule - it is just trying to give you some insight into the implementation. Realistically, the wording will never be able to cater to all scenarios - but you understand the intent - implement social distancing. 

It is also basically what I wrote in my first post on this topic.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:06 PM, zmk1962 said:

Similarly, my wife and I live and sleep together. We are ok to fish alongside anywhere or in any size vessel - but If I wanted to go out with my mate I'd better have a vessel large enough to ensure 1.5m distance and we'd better not arrive in the same car.

Anyway, That's the last I have to say on this topic as well. We have abused @the skipper's topic enough. If you want to debate this further I suggest you move it to its own topic. It is very clear to me what the intent is and what is required to be compliant.

Cheers Z

• Thanks 1