New to beach fishing at Umina and looking to learn

lucapalooka76

Hey Fishraiders

I've recently moved to Ettalong Beach from Sydney and have been fishing my tookus off which has been great.  I've mainly been flicking soft plastics and hard bodies on a lightweight flick stick.

One style of fishing I'm interested in is beach fishing. Never really done this style of fishing and looking to pick up some tips from a local Jedi master.

I've bought a Shimano Surf Spin 1062 rod with a Shimano Sedona HD C5000. Currently running 20 pound braid and mono. Long story is I've got all the gear and no idea.

Would love to buddy up with a beach ninja and learn some basics like finding bait (puppies/worms), gutters and rigs.

Will supply snacks, coffee and/or beer.

Thanks

Luke

Hi @lucapalooka76, this is probably better in this section-

https://www.fishraider.com.au/forum/72-adopt-a-learner/

Also if you haven't already done so have a look the sections of the forum that might help you with info in things like locations, rigs, baits etc. There is a lot of info in here!

Also have a look for threads by that might be more specific to your location(fishing reports), not only will it give you an idea on where/what/why/how but also will show you who is around the area, you can then shoot them a PM & they might answer you & you can start a direct conversation which could lead to a meet & great or a fishing session.

You can search by specific word or location via the search tab just like google.

Good luck

8 minutes ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Hi @mrsswordfisherman

Nice work on the moderation. Love this website.

How can I move my post to the https://www.fishraider.com.au/forum/72-adopt-a-learner/ topic please?

Thanks

Luke

Thanks and welcome to fr. 

This post is in Adopt a Learner Luke. In Fishing Chat you will see it was moved.

Look forward to reading some fishing reports in the future :)

4DC82F76-FF51-4870-AA21-F009797D5F76.jpeg

• Thanks 1

There is so much stuff on this forum of information on everything. Umina will have all the general species like that tailor and salmon, jewfish, mulloway, sharks, bream, whiting, flathead. lookup some beach fishing rigs on this forum but for a beginner learn how to setup a running sinker rig and fish a whole pilchard on a gang hook setup or just a single hook and fish the pilchards cubed. Once you get the hang of fishing you can try getting live bait and chasing more species. you can try lures as well. Your local tackle shop can help you out but there are also lots of great things on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To target whiting you usually run a smaller rig. What is good is you can buy the gear to catch bait for whiting and the rigs from most tackle stores. doing this you can also catch Silver Trevally. They aren't that common at the beach but at the right time you can catch a lot .

1 hour ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Hi @kingie chaser

Took your advice and did some trawling for info and hit up Umina at the four pines. Victory!! 

Yes!

Luke

PicsArt_04-22-08.35.30.jpg

Great result Luke, nice little Taylor there.

Don't mean to burst the bubble but have a look at some of the other members efforts on the Taylor recently.

Its what we all aspire to do but until the time of fruition we have to just enjoy each outing, our surroundings & the hope we will get back to life as we knew it!

4 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great result Luke, nice little Taylor there.

Don't mean to burst the bubble but have a look at some of the other members efforts on the Taylor recently.

Its what we all aspire to do but until the time of fruition we have to just enjoy each outing, our surroundings & the hope we will get back to life as we knew it!

Baha. Yes my model is the Jnr Burger 🤣.

I'm just happy to catch a new species doing a new style of fishing 👍

Glad that you're enjoying your experiences on Fishraider Luke and also having some success on the fishing front too. This is a fantastic site full of very skilled and knowledgeable anglers who are only too happy to help each other out. The management and moderators do a fantastic job and are always there to guide you in the right direction. 

I'm sure that you will get to know all the local Raiders once this pandemic allows us to get back to some sort of normality again. Good luck and keep safe. bn

10 hours ago, James Clain said:

To target whiting you usually run a smaller rig. What is good is you can buy the gear to catch bait for whiting and the rigs from most tackle stores. doing this you can also catch Silver Trevally. They aren't that common at the beach but at the right time you can catch a lot .

Thanks for the advice @James Clain

• Like 1