Lest we forget, a very different Anzac day 2020

kingie chaser

Its been a very tough time for most of us in this Covid 19 time & has hit many people in different ways but we still have so much to be grateful for!

Its going to be a very different Anzac day for all of us but I know I will be up at 5am to give thanks to those who have fought & died to give us what we have today.

I hope you will join me whether its in your driveway's or on balconies at 5am to remember those who have given so much to ensure the freedom's & life we enjoy today, followed by the National Commemorative Service broadcast at 5.30am.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/how-to-commemorate-anzac-day-from-home-driveway-services/12174808

LEST WE FORGET

801066640_Anzacday2020.thumb.jpg.4ebbb0752d5bc17f7e5fd02a8aff30c2.jpg

I'll probably will still have to many beers & not sure how I am going to go throwing double headers & betting against myself but will still enjoy the day & appreciate all that is Australia 🙂 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting kingie chaser. LEST WE FORGET.

Despite the difficult times which we are experiencing today in Australia, none of it would be possible without the sacrifice of so many Anzacs who have given everything for this country. We are indebted to each and every one of you. Thank you for providing us with the opportunity to live today, in Australia, even if times are a bit tough.             bn

• Like 3

I am proud to say my DAD was an ANZAC . He was born 1897 in Great Yarmouth England and when the war broke out he was too young to join the English army, so he migrated to Australia where he joined up. Was sent to fight in France and was wounded with a bullet in the neck, went to hospital in England patched up and sent back to fight again where he was once again wounded, this time grenade shrapnel to the leg, patched up again and continued fighting till war ended.

He finally died in 1960 with complications and infections to the war wound. He was 66 years old, I was 13, he died the day before my 14th birthday.

Lest we forget.

Frank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I stood out on our driveway this morning and I could see 6 or so other households doing the same. Quite moving, really. I downloaded the ANZAC Day 2020 app but it did not work, which was disappointing. Other households had the radio or TV on but different stations/channels as the Last Post and Reveille were playing at different times. A good effort though, everyone.

@frankSSo, did your Dad lie about his age to join the Australian Army? Pretty common in those days! My grandfather was born in June 1898 in Southsea, Hampshire and was in the British Army in WW1. I assume he didn’t join until he turned 18 in 1916. I know he was affected by mustard gas in the war. He was a signaller, emigrated to Australia in 1927 and joined the Australian Army in WW2 as a signaller but, like others of his age, remained in Australia. My Dad signed up on his 18th birthday in June 1945, also a signaller but by the time his training was finished, the Japanese had surrendered. He went to New Guinea in August 1945. So, my Dad never marched but we always watch or attend the dawn service. Lest We Forget.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

@frankSSo, did your Dad lie about his age to join the Australian Army? Pretty common in those days! My grandfather was born in June 1898 in Southsea, Hampshire and was in the British Army in WW1. I assume he didn’t join until he turned 18 in 1916. I know he was affected by mustard gas in the war. He was a signaller, emigrated to Australia in 1927 and joined the Australian Army in WW2 as a signaller but, like others of his age, remained in Australia. My Dad signed up on his 18th birthday in June 1945, also a signaller but by the time his training was finished, the Japanese had surrendered. He went to New Guinea in August 1945. So, my Dad never marched but we always watch or attend the dawn service. Lest We Forget.

I had always believed that he did lie about his age to join up, however a couple of years ago a friend downloaded his complete war record, regiments etc and looking through his records now I believe he did turn 18 years of age before joining. Still not really sure. When I was young he didn't talk about the war much to me, but my older brothers have told me many stories that he told them. Not a good time to be growing up. And to be wounded twice would have not been good.

Frank

• Like 3

It was a moving dawn service with my daughter wearing her cadet uniform & seven other households in our double ended culdesac paying respect  ‘lest we forget”2F8EF91A-F1F5-402D-9CA9-A49293B6CEEE.thumb.jpeg.47d8206b1cada20b132133609c08df12.jpeg

after much thought & deliberation

68E5B85E-ED76-41FB-A783-3C18DAEB564B.jpeg.2eea2321aa5502be24d2a50931cb9f42.jpeg

my daughter & I decided to attend the well spaced circle at the other end of the street for about 40 minutes 

• Like 4

Fantastic wasn’t it!

This morning was the most emotional Anzac Day dawn service ever.

We woke to a very beautiful still morning. The crisp clean air and the perfect sunrise greeted us as we sat on our driveway.

Sadly we only had one neighbour 3 doors away join in the driveway service. At 6am old Vic across the road opened his door with his little candle. He stood at attention as the National Anthem was played, The Ode and the minute silence. 

It was very special to see how everyone has showed respect for our Anzacs and men and women service personnel under the circumstances. I am pretty sure this will become a new normal alongside the usual march and ceremonies. 

Hope everyone had a great day. We attended a Zoom Raceday event - a new way to punt.

LEST WE FORGET
#NSWathome
#Anzacathome 
#lightupthedawn
#ANZACspirit
#standto

6E695DF6-4FB7-4A48-B1F0-733C6379AE74.jpeg969C9FFF-DBA8-4C68-A355-A9A4BF48854F.jpegEB6C52D1-C30D-4D1B-8BB6-DB55E6A57366.jpeg50AAC5C2-CC30-462D-9282-AE17FBF9CDED.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I think more people showed their respects than ever   lots of people that would never go to a service fronted up for the driveway service   me thinks we have started a trend hopefully

There seems to be growing support on social media to keep the trend going, Rick. If not at dawn (detracting from the dawn services and marches) but at sunset. Nice thought but I imagine that a fair number would not be able to stand straight after their traditional two up games at the pub! 😂

• Haha 1