Vintage Alvey

Theloveablemess

This may seem like a stupid question to some, however I am stumped. I’ve been handed down a rusted beat up old Alvey reel. From what I can discern it’s a late ‘70’s 500 A3. I know Alvey’s are famous for their simplicity This model however has a switch marked Ratchet. My question is, what is this switch’s intended purpose? It does not seem to have any effect whether on or off which may be my error when reassembling. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

I reckon its the switch to engage/disengage the noise!

When its 'on' and you get a run, you get a noise (ZZZZzzzzzzzz) as the line peels off.  From memory there is a serrated ring (like a gear) around the centre pin (inside).  There is a sprig loaded lever that rubs against this gear to make the noise.  THe ratchet switch holds the lever away from the gear.

... and btw... a 'late 70's Alvey'  is not OLD !!!!!!!!!!!! and its not beat up... it has character....

and when cleaned will work as well as the day it was new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what dmck has said.

You'll probably find the ratchet spring has either corroded or slipped off its mount. 

Being an A series reel its extremely easy to take the spool off to check and take a look at this link to see how the ratchet spring should look.

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Alvey/500 Series/Alvey 500A5.pdf

If any part needs replacing any, tackle store that sells Alveys will be able to help, or you can contact Alvey themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1