Baja Fish Tacos

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

This may not be everyone's cup of tea but in recent overseas trips Maria and I have developed a real taste for Fish Tacos and thought I'd share here how we go about reproducing this meal. It's definitely more street food than @kingie chaser's home fine dining .... but we keep coming back to it as a favourite .... infact just had a meal now !

Ingredients:

1  boneless fish fillets (blue eye, flattie etc) chopped into bite size pieces

2 prep Red and White cabbage coleslaw

3 Chipotle Mayo

4 Pico de Galo - chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper, salt, lime juice, coriander, olive oil

5 medium size tortilla's

Method:

1 roll fish pieces through flour/salt/white pepper mixture

2 fry the fish pieces till golden (I add a clove of garlic to the oil)

3 heat the tortillas in a pan till they start to bubble/char

4 assemble tacos, squeeze some extra lime juice on top and ENJOY !!!!

image.png.d9df83f00a0fe6e7517d1ea2e8c5b705.png

image.png.eaa283a8f738faf92815d707e6e64113.png

image.png.ff249127f7c57a1ad2fce9ce2b5fed42.png

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3

Guest Guest123456789

Looks amazing Zoran. Didn’t know that combo was called pico de galo - hard to beat.

have you made your own tortillas before?

heres a chilli con carne nachos I made last week. First time making cheese sauce (cheese butter and flour). Probably a million calories in the sauce but great as a treat

32E0DBA0-D245-4B1F-BDB8-A99BFF98B859.jpeg

Hey Jim. I haven’t made tortillas but my offsider (Maria) makes many styles of breads, flatbreads, naans, lepinje etc. We like our food ! If you have a good tortilla  recipe please share. 
love the nachos!!

cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962

21 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

It's definitely more street food than @kingie chaser's home fine dining .... but we keep coming back to it as a favourite .... infact just had a meal now !

Yum, looks great Zoran & bet it tastes even better :thumbup:

All the toppings are a personal thing really, I love my coriander so I would have to add a bit of that to mine.

I also love charred corn salsa & guacamole as well  

12 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

have you made your own tortillas before?

I have, the mix is pretty basic & the presses are cheap.

Its easy really, unless you have to churn out 500 or so.

Guest Guest123456789
12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Jim. I haven’t made tortillas but my offsider (Maria) makes many styles of breads, flatbreads, naans, lepinje etc. We like our food ! If you have a good tortilla  recipe please share. 
love the nachos!!

cheers Z

3 cups self raising flour

1/4 cup of oil
half cup of water

1 egg

punch of salt 

Combine in a mixing bowl then leave the dough for 20 mins before rolling out the tortillas. Then just fry them. Makes 8.

I guess it depends on your personal preference & that is a hotly debated question but the traditional tortilla is made from Masa Harina (Corn masa flour).

Wheat flour is something that didn't exist in Mexica until it was brought in from other countries. 

https://www.mexicanplease.com/what-is-masa-harina/

Then using a press to form the tortilla

370140040_tortillapress.jpg.4aacf209a55ee94bd0afd2cdb45a78af.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser

Now, please don't throw rocks at me for this....but, when I have fish tacos (fish wraps actually) I prefer those frozen fish fillets from the supermarket (I think the brand is Deli Choice) anyway, I don't know why, but they turn out better than "real fish"  simply heat them from frozen in the oven, or air fryer if you have one, get a packet of wraps, chop some lettuce nice and fine, tomatoes and onion (cheese if that's your thing) then a bit of taco salsa or aioli, put the heated fillet (they are long and thin) on the wrap, add the salad and sauce, wrap and eat, sensational, even kids love them.

I guessed it might get that sort of reaction! You need to remember the frozen fillets are not trying to be a replacement for real fish, they just suit the wrap/salad thing, we have them in the freezer all the time for quick taco/wrap things.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Now, please don't throw rocks at me for this....but,

... I was just going to ask what bait you use at the Supermarket ....  never heard of that waterway system (is it fresh or salt?)... so I am all curious. 

Cheers Z

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, noelm said:

I guessed it might get that sort of reaction! You need to remember the frozen fillets are not trying to be a replacement for real fish, they just suit the wrap/salad thing, we have them in the freezer all the time for quick taco/wrap things.

Mate I am a firm believer in each to their own, we all like what we like & yeh it is a matter of convenience to.

While a do buy a few frozen things at times, like peas because I cant be bothered shelling fresh, fries because at times I cant be bothered peeling & cutting potatoes & its convenient, Chinese BBQ pork buns & dumplings because I am lazy, I don't really buy pre prepared frozen protein products for myself.

Mind you we use a heap of frozen fish products in the food service game to cut down on labour, some of them are excellent, some are more crumbs that fish but you just have to filter through samples to get what is a decent product.

Yep, agree, we eat heaps of fresh fish, and only found out about these from a friend, I would not have them as a fish "meal" as such, but for wraps, they beat proper home cooked fish hands down, the batter comes out crispy, the fish is not strong flavoured, and they are long and thing, perfect for a wrap, take no time to cook and no prep, might even have a couple for lunch to go with the Blue Swimmers I got yesterday.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Madkanu said:

@zmk1962 I’m currently looking for lunch recipes as you can imagine. I was going to make fish burgers but have some tortillas in the fridge so think I’ll try this instead.  

Take a look at the fishos grill channel on YouTube , Matt and Hoda make some awesome meals out of fish - the video below made me extra hungry I can tell you!

• Thanks 1