Snapper bait

Micon01

What's everyone's preferred go to snapper bait? Just got me thinking as I was loading up on some yakkas that I'm goin to salt. I think for me it would have to be slimy mackerel. I also managed a small cuttle fish that  will turn into bait but haven't had great success with cuttle fish. L

Pilchards are as good as anything, easy to get anywhere, defrost in a minute and use the head bit for burley, or catch your own bait, not a fan of Yakkas as dead bait, but fresh Slimies are OK, but, Striped Tuna is probably best of the lot, frozen whole, baits cut off as needed and the extra flesh goes over for burley, not a fan of Squid for Snapper either, Garfish fillets are good too if you can get them.

I just started thinking about this, bait can change according to local situations, I fish near the entrance to Lake Illawarra a bit, when the tide is running out, good fresh Prawns, well presented will outfish almost anything else there, but elsewhere they just attract rubbish. The type of bait does not guarantee fish, presentation and correct techniques will get a fish where the best bait anchored to the bottom on 30lb line with a hook on a loop will probably not get a bite, except for rubbish.

Smaller reds will eat most baits  most of the big reds i catch are on the heads of slimies yakkas pike seargent baker and even sweep  strip baits and pillys will catch you good fish but i stand by big bait big fish      and dont discount liveys

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Smaller reds will eat most baits  most of the big reds i catch are on the heads of slimies yakkas pike seargent baker and even sweep  strip baits and pillys will catch you good fish but i stand by big bait big fish      and dont discount liveys

How do you rig the livies, Rick? I know snapper love live slimies... I’ve had a few taken off behind the head on the last couple of trips and one to what I realise now was a big snapper that hung on for quite some time and I saw him roll over on the surface (a lot of pink!). I bridled them... and I wonder if I should just pin them through the nose or the back.

Thru the nostrils in current  thru the back if none     sometimes i cut nearly all the fins off their tails  they thrash around and attract more attention      this one was 89cm  caught at midday  in 10 or 11 fathoms  10ft under cork at surface on live slimey thru back

20200413_185258.jpg

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Thru the nostrils in current  thru the back if none     sometimes i cut nearly all the fins off their tails  they thrash around and attract more attention      this one was 89cm  caught at midday  in 10 or 11 fathoms  10ft under cork at surface on live slimey thru back

20200413_185258.jpg

Thanks Rick. Yeah, bridling them helped them live longer and best for slow trolling for beaks but I wondered if that’s why they kept getting taken off behind the head. Now it’s getting cooler, I’ll try just pinning them. 😎

Would have to agree with a trolled slimey in shallow water - this one taken last weekend in 12m of water. A consolation prize as the target was mackeral however the angler was not that unhappy.

IMG_6264[1].PNG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoods said:

Would have to agree with a trolled slimey in shallow water - this one taken last weekend in 12m of water. A consolation prize as the target was mackeral however the angler was not that unhappy.

IMG_6264[1].PNG

Nice sized by catch 

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:47 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I'm definitely going to give the heads a go! I have had good results with bakers too.Thanks