Boat and trailer advice

blahblah

After spending over two years traveling in a caravan it time to sell the van and buy a boat for the next leg of traveling. Looking for peoples opinions on boats, trailers ect and any tips or thoughts from those with experience. 

I plan on spending a lot of time in the Northern half of Aus in remote areas. I need a set up small enough to be nimble on the tracks and be launched in tight spots and  but big enough to go to off shore reefs and islands on a good day.

Initial thoughts are 420/440 Renegade with a tiler steer. We are 2 adults and an 8 year old.

Cheers

G'day paulbla, triton14 here, so maybe you could give us a bit more specifics like are you looking at something that is light enough to not need to be trailer braked or that's not an issue??

Dual axle's, they sound like they are a benefit of road from what I have seen/read. 

Whats you 4x4's capability's, do you have a winch etc?

I mean if you have ever watched All for Adventure & seen some of the tracks those guys take their 7.2 Sea jay you'll see you can take a larger boat way off the beaten track, but you have the have the vehicle & recovery gear to do it.

Plus another vehicle is essential in what they do of course but just saying you can go bigger than what you would think.

Also is there a budget in mind for this?

Looking at new vs second hand?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, blahblah said:

After spending over two years traveling in a caravan it time to sell the van and buy a boat for the next leg of traveling. Looking for peoples opinions on boats, trailers ect and any tips or thoughts from those with experience. 

I plan on spending a lot of time in the Northern half of Aus in remote areas. I need a set up small enough to be nimble on the tracks and be launched in tight spots and  but big enough to go to off shore reefs and islands on a good day.

Initial thoughts are 420/440 Renegade with a tiler steer. We are 2 adults and an 8 year old.

Cheers

After having purchased a 460 Renegade side console earlier this I would strongly recommend it.

For the extra 20cm in length over a 440 you also get 100mm extra in width. Doesn't sound like much but makes it more stable and gives a lot of extra room in side. You will also get a slightly higher freeboard to help keep the big choppers (crocs) out.

For offshore stuff my preference was for a fully enclosed transom which you won't get with a tiller steer.

Regarding trailers I would talk to an independant trailer manufacturer and have the trailer made specifically for what you want to use it for. I would also suggest a tilt trailer as it should effectively be an off road trailer with increased ground clearance.

Edited by Renegade460
  • Like 1

I have a 420 Renegade S.C. with a 40hp Mercury. I love it! I have been offshore around Sydney and it handles it really well. I had a 420 Hornet in Broome W.A. and that handled going up to 2nm off but definitly doens't handle it offshore aswell as the Renegade handles it. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Owen

16 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hi there 

You will need a bit bigger tinny than that for offshore. 
Where are you headed? We were headed that way and had to turn back due to COVID-19

Just re-read my original post, missed out the bit where I was supposed to say I want it for creek and rivers mainly but be able to go off shore on a good day. 

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

G'day paulbla, triton14 here, so maybe you could give us a bit more specifics like are you looking at something that is light enough to not need to be trailer braked or that's not an issue??

Dual axle's, they sound like they are a benefit of road from what I have seen/read. 

Whats you 4x4's capability's, do you have a winch etc?

I mean if you have ever watched All for Adventure & seen some of the tracks those guys take their 7.2 Sea jay you'll see you can take a larger boat way off the beaten track, but you have the have the vehicle & recovery gear to do it.

Plus another vehicle is essential in what they do of course but just saying you can go bigger than what you would think.

Also is there a budget in mind for this?

Looking at new vs second hand?

I intend on getting a braked trailer, want enough GTM to carry some extra fuel and maybe gas or water tank.  Been looking at the Belco Heavy Duty trailer.

4x4 is a 70 series with winch ect, we have been traveling for a couple of years already so well set up in that department. I don't need huge boat, Im happy with around 4.5m, preferably a single axel trailer,, keeping weight down and also costs. Ive been towing 3300kg caravan for 2 years and had enough of it.

I'll be chasing a new trailer and probably a late model used boat if I can get what I want. 

The All 4 Adventure boys have distinct advantage over me in that they don't pay for anything! no fuel, breakages, gear ect ect plus they have a crew of blokes, I have a Wife and kid!

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

2 hours ago, Owen Douglas said:

I have a 420 Renegade S.C. with a 40hp Mercury. I love it! I have been offshore around Sydney and it handles it really well. I had a 420 Hornet in Broome W.A. and that handled going up to 2nm off but definitly doens't handle it offshore aswell as the Renegade handles it. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Owen

I really like the look of the Renegade, but since I been looking at them and talking about them I heard lot of negative comments about Quintrex, about mass manufacture and been over priced. Obviously there is two sides to every story but. Ill look at some boat showrooms next week hopefully and check out as many brands as I can.

Renedade460 was talking about the fully enclosed transom which for me (new to boats), seems like a massive safety feature, although I was keen to the boat as simple as possible so less to get damaged off road. Tiller steer also leaves more room in the boat and is over 2k cheaper from new.

2 hours ago, blahblah said:

The All 4 Adventure boys have distinct advantage over me in that they don't pay for anything! no fuel, breakages, gear ect ect plus they have a crew of blokes, I have a Wife and kid!

Don't worry mate I hear you there, it would be great to just walk in point at the wall & say I'll take that & that & that & I wont pay a cent 🙄

Im trying to get all the gear I need atm to get my 12V dual battery & power bank set up for a fridge & all the other things you need to be independent on the road like solar & just the gear to do that nothing to sneeze at!

The 70 series is a war horse, a mate of mine has one to tow his 570 freedom cruiser. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hi there 

You will need a bit bigger tinny than that for offshore. 
Where are you headed? We were headed that way and had to turn back due to COVID-19

Plenty of people hit up the 120km return trip to the GBR where I am from in North queensland in Renegage's.  Just gotta pick your days and make sure you have all the safety gear if you get in trouble! 

Edited by Fishop
  • Like 1

We headed off end of Feb from Sydney to Ballina, Lake Somerset, Hervey Bay, 1770, Yeppoon, Mackay, Airlie Beach for 2 weeks at Easter, Townsville, Mission Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas and across to the gulf Karumba, Booroloola - King Ash Bay etc etc over to Cahill's Crossing. 

We got as far as Lake Somerset and got redclaw each day. The tinny went very well. Then COVID-19 hit and we raced back home real quickly. 

We had bought a second hand Quintrex 350 Traveller and swordie refurbished it beautifully. It came with a boat loader, motor, fold up trailer, fishfinder. We tow a caravan also with a Discovery 4. 

Hoping to continue this journey as soon as everything is back to normal. 

The guys will tell you about the heavy duty trailer and boat selection. 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:52 PM, Owen Douglas said:

Regards,

Owen

Thanks Owen