Manly Dam Fishing

Fletch04

Hey I have been fishing at Manly Dam a few times and never been successful with anything ( I have tried lures for bass and bait for carp). I am wanting to tick both these fish off my list but I am aiming to go for carp first. Does anyone have any tips for getting a carp out of manly dam. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sweet corn on a size 1 or 1/0 hook. Throw some extra kernels in the area you are fishing. Say 5m straight in front of you. Maybe a running sinker. Two rods if you can. Back the drag off. Usually only a waiting game for the carp there.

For the bass the genuine Celta (Rublex) spinners in size three on a light bream rod with braid are pretty effective. Cast out as far as you can and retrieve as slow as you can without snagging up. They are very aggressive. Just watch the gill rakes when unhooking. Consider flattening down the barbs.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Dam fishes well depending on the weather. On a warm overcast day in mid or late summer just about any surface popper will get you fish. Fat body crank baits are a winner too.

I usually lure fish and wade in summer and pick up mostly bass and a few redfin all small size, I have caught a few really nice sized bass in there too but they all seem to be small school size unless you can get down deep.

If you want to bait fish for nice bass, throw an earth worm in, they barely touch the water before getting eaten particularly near the wall in the lillypads.

Corn, cheese and bread all work well for carp and there are some big boys in there, just try and get away from where people and dogs are. 

40 minutes ago, motiondave said:

good to know about the bass taking earthworms, I might have a go sometime when weather warms up again

They go absolutely feral for them, if you can get them past the smaller ones there are usually bigger ones underneath. Just use a quill float, split shot and small hook, it is hard to not catch them around the pads at the wall

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Planning on giving Manly dam a go tomorrow afternoon. Anyone able to suggest the best place to throw a line in?
Thanks
Gordo

Depends on what and how you are targeting. The three species we chase there are bass, carp and redfin.

If you don't feel like paying for parking then park in front of the hydrological centre outside the gates and walk in as it is not far. As you get your first glimpse of the water you will see the covered area in the article above. This is my usual starting point and then I work that little bay to the left up to the playground area.

For the carp I just burley up as far as I can throw with sweet corn and then put say 4 pieces of sweetcorn on a size 1 or 1/0 hook on a running sinker. There is a gentleman I've seen several times that sight fishes for them with a fly rod.

For the bass and redfin I use Celta spinners or topwater lures.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, motiondave said:

Got any garden worms handy? Put them under a float or on a jighead 👍

3 hours ago, DerekD said:

Depends on what and how you are targeting. The three species we chase there are bass, carp and redfin.

If you don't feel like paying for parking then park in front of the hydrological centre outside the gates and walk in as it is not far. As you get your first glimpse of the water you will see the covered area in the article above. This is my usual starting point and then I work that little bay to the left up to the playground area.

For the carp I just burley up as far as I can throw with sweet corn and then put say 4 pieces of sweetcorn on a size 1 or 1/0 hook on a running sinker. There is a gentleman I've seen several times that sight fishes for them with a fly rod.

For the bass and redfin I use Celta spinners or topwater lures.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the tips guy's. Unfortunately today's plans have had to change due to a later than expected time for a furniture delivery. However with your advice I am keen to get there so will be giving it a try as soon as I can. I'll let you know how I go.
It will most likely be a late afternoon session.