Salt & pepper combination morwong & squid

kingie chaser

Hi raiders, haven't been out on the water for some time(pre covid 19) & felt like a bit of a fish dinner tonight so had to dive into the freezer to see what I had from previous catches.

Didn't really want to make a big mess or go all out like I usually do so went for a simple fry up.

I like my S&P mix to have a bit of zing & flavour so I do a bit of a spice mix which I dry fry or roast & then grind them either in a coffee grinder of in this case the mortar & pestle.

My spices mix-

Star anise

Sichuan peppercorns

black peppercorns

White peppercorns

coriander seeds

After grinding I then add sea salt & then mix to taste with 50% tapioca & corn flour

74604129_SPmix.thumb.jpg.5cf63479552b2321c62a400fdc9539cb.jpg

I dip the fish/squid into some beaten egg, drain & then roll into the flour mix.

Quickly fry in small batches in sunflower oil, the fish took just about 1 & 1/2 minutes & the calamari done separately took about 30 seconds. 

Just made a simple salad of watercress, coriander, pickled cucumber, capsicum, red onion, toasted sesame seeds, cashew nuts & a sweet soy ginger dressing.

And because I don't do plain I did a miso & yuzu mayonnaise as a dipping sauce.

First time trying the morwong & it was pretty nice actually.

1244238285_SPmorwong.thumb.jpg.53505812fa09a2af7e91143681fe241e.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

KC....You’re welcome to cook for me anytime!

Cheers Zoran 

You never know there might be a get together in the near future where you might be able come along to & sample something.

Not really fish related but at the PS gathering that basically got rained out I had smokey BBQ pulled pork & slaw rolls with chipotle mayo ready & didn't even get to use it, took it home & ate it on my own.

I was also planning on doing some sashimi snapper but you have to catch the snapper for that one :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Not really fish related but at the PS gathering that basically got rained out I had smokey BBQ pulled pork & slaw rolls with chipotle mayo ready & didn't even get to use it, took it home & ate it on my own.

Adrian that just reminded me of those delicious hot venison pies you made that we had on the boat that day, 😋 yum!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Adrian that just reminded me of those delicious hot venison pies you made that we had on the boat that day, 😋 yum!!

You know me Dieter, I just love the idea of turning the fruits of my efforts into the things I enjoy to eat, land or sea.

By the way when this CV19 thing is over I will have a new 12V road chef oven going into the 4x4 that is portable, then I can cook lots of great stuff on the water & in the middle of nowhere as well :thumbup:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Welster said:

I'm loving the recents adds to the kitchen, I'm not much of a cook but who knows.

@Yowie might take you up on some fried Mowie!

As far as fried, baked, steamed, bbq'd Mowie goes, you can stick it up your ring-a-ding-ding. 

I would rather eat a packet of rat sak then eat anything to do with Mowie. 😖🤣😀

• Haha 2

I can just see it now, you out on the bay a couple of lines over the side mortar & pestle in hand, smells wafting out of the oven  & boats all  around you like a flock of seagulls hoping for a scrap

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

As far as fried, baked, steamed, bbq'd Mowie goes, you can stick it up your ring-a-ding-ding. 

I would rather eat a packet of rat sak then eat anything to do with Mowie. 😖🤣😀

I would guarantee you I could line you up a minimum of 3 different dishes with 3 different fish used including morwong as one in a blind tasting & you would have no idea which fish is which.

You've obviously had a bad experience with morwong through being cooked in a way that overly enhances the lesser qualities in it.

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I would guarantee you I could line you up a minimum of 3 different dishes with 3 different fish used including morwong as one in a blind tasting & you would have no idea which fish is which.

You've obviously had a bad experience with morwong through being cooked in a way that overly enhances the lesser qualities in it.

Line them up, and I'll bring the riesling. 🤣

• Like 3

• 4 months later...