A nice kingfish entree from work(that is when I did have a job!)

kingie chaser

So its been 6 weeks now since I have been off the tools waiting for this CV19 thing to be over but have been looking at some shots of dishes I have help produce for events at work.

Its not really the sort of thing you would try to produce at home but just showing you an idea of what we serve for plated events up to about 2000 people.

So the dish is-

Torched Hiramasa Kingfish with yuzu gel, charred baby corn, corn puree, compressed cucumber, salmon caviar, squid ink mayonnaise, togarashi popcorn, shaved bottarga, edible flowers & green herb oil.

So 11 different elements on a plate.

2099220847_TorchedHiramasakingfishcornkombuchacucumberyuzuandfishfloss.thumb.jpg.e8efa0fa29ae21bc8a951ed24474f41a.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Absolutely amazing - a piece of art!

How do you work that for 2000 guests? What sort of teams do you have? Does a different team cook/prepare and plate each element? 

The main ballroom actually holds about 3500 standing so we do canape events up to that number

But plated its about 2000 due to tables etc.

All their kitchens are very well set up but in this particular kitchen it has 4 conveyor belts which the entrée is pre plated except for the oil/finishing touches.

The kitchen is broken into 2 sections & we serve 50% of the event from each kitchen.

This kitchen has 27 x20 tray Rational combi ovens @ $35000 each but Im sure they got a discount seeing as they probably have around 60 of these in the complex,

We have large storage trolleys that hold 140 plated entree's at a time & its a fair bit of coordination to be sending this & getting main courses ready as well.

This is some of the team starting to get the entree's up & ready for service, we need to have a certain amount ready, then remove any trolleys/gear we don't need before about 75 waiters invade the kitchen.

As service starts we continue to finish entree's on the conveyor & restack the plate stackers until we are done.

Then reset for main course.

Different entrée in this picture though.

Event.thumb.jpg.5869bf2e08547c9cc75675b20f9a5c6e.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

W . O . W .  .... that serious cooking !  Must be lots of stress mate ... Glad its you not me ... 

Cheers Z

Hey Zoran, well I am just a casual there although I was offered a fulltime position & knocked it back due to exactly what your talking about.....stress.

I guess I was fortunate to work there for some time to see what the fulltimers go through &  didn't really want to go back to working 60+ hours a week & getting paid for 40 & also having to deal with the stresses of such a large operation.

So while I do have some sort of responsibility being a team leader at the end of the day I can go home & not have to think about work which usually happens.

The entire operation is massive, comprising of the Convention centre(5 floors of event spaces), exhibition centre(7 halls) & darling harbour theatre which hold 9000 people alone.

If anyone has been to the Sydney boat show there they will understand the scale of the building/operation.

Edited by kingie chaser

5 minutes ago, motiondave said:

@kingie chaser , I went to the boat show last year at Darling Harbour, plus Ive done a few shows in the past with job relating to motorsport, and yes, its a heck of a job anywhere, and Darling Harbour is nit a small place.

Maybe look for a job in warehousing, drive a forklift, walk and pick some products, no brainer and it can pay well, and you get paid for the hours you work, no pro rata bullstuff or anything like that, work 40 hrs, get paid 40 hrs, work 60 hours, get paid 60 hours

Hey Dave, I have been looking for a forklift job but they also want high reach experience which I don't have.

But still get 40 hours a week(sorry used to pre CV19) & get paid penalty rates for weekends as well which is ok for the moment. 

Its one of those things in life, the more money you want to earn the more responsibility & pressure is involved.

I know one thing, I should have been a builder, not a chef!