Help Loading Social Maps to Lowrance Hook 5 Reveal

night_rider

Hey Raiders,

Just acquired a tidy little Yak setup with a Lowrance Hook 5 Reveal GPS on it. So far have only christened it with a Legal Trevally but once I have the hang of it hoping to find some Pelagics in Middle Harbour!

I've tried to load up the social maps from Genesis Live onto the sounder, but can't seem to get the upload to work, has anyone had any luck?

From what I found on the Lowrance site it is compatible but no dice so far.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Tight lines!

What's a social map??

So your old recorded data is in the same format at the new sounder??

How are you trying to transfer the data?

Copy to SD card then load SD card into new Lowrance unit??

Doesn't recognise card or files??

Edited by kingie chaser

21 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

What's a social map??

So your old recorded data is in the same format at the new sounder??

How are you trying to transfer the data?

Copy to SD card then load SD card into new Lowrance unit??

Doesn't recognise card or files??

Thanks for your reply! 

Social maps is a feature of Genesis C-Maps that allows you to download sonar maps of other users.  Unfortunately my finder is only GPS and does not have the maps preloaded. Trying to avoid the $150+ price to get the maps. 

Process I followed was as per the Lowrance instructions, download maps file from Genesis social maps - extract files - move to SD and insert. From what I can understand it should automatically recognise but not luck. 

The reveal is only a few months old so maybe still some teething issues to be resolved...

I don't think its teething issues at all.

Ok, so normally if a mapping GPS isn't fitted with the mapping software then you would need to install the software & with a key code, they cost money!

The way I see it from what you say the Hook 5 unit doesn't have the mapping software installed if that's the case then it wont accept mapped data from another unit or source.

This is part of how any GPS based product producer makes their coin.

I have had quite a few Garmin products & the mapping software is not transferable.

Usually data would be encrypted in some way so it will not be transferable without having the correct software & product code. 

You will be able to make waypoints on the unit but of course they will only come up on the base map.

In saying that there could be a way of putting just the waypoints on but I would have to see if that's possible first hand, not really something I could say can be done over a forum thread.

That's the best I can give you.

Edited by kingie chaser