Advice on new rods/reels

landlubber

Gday Guys,

Finally graduated from “landlubber” status and very fortunate to have a 23ft Centre console on the way from the states. 

I am very keen on advice for rod/reel selection for the type of fishing I’ll be doing, out of Port Hacking and realize I’ll be looking at 2-3 different combos here. I am not necessarily looking for model numbers etc but more if I’m on the right track

1. estuary bait and soft plastics. I’m thinking 6-7ft, 2-4kg range and 2000-3000 series reel. Pretty straightforward. Really, considering bait runner for feeding line down berley trail, also flicking soft plastics. 

2. Inshore kingfish and snapper. Live bait, stickbaits, bit of bottom bashing. 

3. Inshore poppers, metals casting at surface action, eg Kings, small tunas, dolphins at the FADs. 

4. Inshore trolling around headlands, Bombies etc for Kings and miscellaneous 

Is there a combo that works well for 2/3/4 above? does something like a 7ft “snapper” combo in the 5-8kg range do the job? 

Really appreciate input here, in addition to some light estuary gear all I’ve got is beach rods and a never used heavy jig rod and a 10-15kg 6ft spinning rod (bought for NQ) which I don’t think meet the brief. 

Edited by landlubber

Couldn’t wait. Bought ;

- Shimano Sedona XT (2-4kg) 7ft combo for the estuary...mostly soaking baits.

- Saragosa 6000 & 7ft Raider Heavy Snapper rod and an Ugly stik gold 7ft 6-10kgs to be paired with existing Penn Spinfisher 6500 as “guest” rod.

I’ll put an existing 20 years old never used Spinfisher 8500 on the 6’6 Silstar 10-15kg crystal blue power tip as the inshore trolling outfit 

See how we go. 

You were keen 😂

Enjoy the new buys, might have been a bit to much to ask all at once 😕 

Still with that nice sounding 23ft CC on the way im wonder why you want to fish inshore so much?

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

You can never have to many rods, its good to have something in each weight class.

So many styles of rods around now, in the old days you would just use 1 or 2 & they still caught fish!

I am missing a heavy rod in my collection, think I am going to get an Ugly Stik gold 37kg for 1mtr + kings

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

You were keen 😂

Enjoy the new buys, might have been a bit to much to ask all at once 😕 

Still with that nice sounding 23ft CC on the way im wonder why you want to fish inshore so much?

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

You can never have to many rods, its good to have something in each weight class.

So many styles of rods around now, in the old days you would just use 1 or 2 & they still caught fish!

I am missing a heavy rod in my collection, think I am going to get an Ugly Stik gold 37kg for 1mtr + kings

Thanks mate, I’m a rank novice boater so baby steps first :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Smart thinking :thumbup:

Whats the boat that's coming anyway??

When it gets here we have a page to show off your rigs, would be good to see it!

Hi mate, sportsman 232 open. Awaiting build date at the moment 

27 minutes ago, landlubber said:

Hi mate, sportsman 232 open. Awaiting build date at the moment 

Wow, very cool boat ☺️

I love the look & functionality of those US open boats.

For memory I think that the same boat they use as the support boat in that show Shark Men on Nat Geo

Edit: no they use a contender, very similar design though!

I bet you cant wait, it will be a fun boat & very capable no doubt 👌

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the boat is an all rounder, family duties at Jibbon, Maianbar, Lilli Pilli sandbar etc, bit of towing donuts, and a bit of fishing. Good set up for that with 10 people capacity, lots of seating and a bow sunshade.