Crab ID (Soldier Crab)

whiskey299

Question

Saw all these crabs running around in low tide before sunrise. Any idea what they’re called? Do you think they would be good bait for bream or fish in general?

I tried hard to not roll over them with my kayak wheels but I’m sure I heard a few crunches on my way out, apologies in advanced to all the crab huggers out there.

9602FC42-FDA6-4887-904F-0F7D1A9DC7F4.jpeg

Edited by Blackfish

7 answers to this question

Used to walk amongst 1000's of them on the west end of jimmy's beach Port Stephens back in the mid to late 70's as a young bloke.

Never really picked them up as dad was more intend on getting pody's & nippers.

Took a just a few for just in case though 😁

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, Berleyguts said:

Soldier crabs. Great bream bait.

How do you use them for bait i.e. how do you put em on the hook, and how do you prevent them burying themselves in the sand?

1 hour ago, seasponge said:

How do you use them for bait i.e. how do you put em on the hook, and how do you prevent them burying themselves in the sand?

Long shanked hook through the back of the underside through the back of the top with the hook exposed.

Well after you have just severely incapacitated them by sticking a hook through their guts I don't like their chances of being able to burrow :whistling:😁

Mind you Im not a fan, Id rather use nippers.

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, seasponge said:

I prefer to use yabbies but crabs are tough and do catch some big bream. But as kingiechaser said, long shank hook and make sure the point is well exposed. I have experimented with small rubber bands, cotton and super glue and they work but it’s all a bit too fiddly. If they’re still wriggling about, they don’t dig into the sand if you don’t use lead, or only a very small ball sinker straight to the hook and let it float along with current just above bottom.