Great Day Around Milsons Point

James  Clain

So last week some of you know I went to lavendar bay last week for a fish and hopefully get into the pelagics. This week I returned with a mate to try and get some land-based revenge on the kingfish that were schooling up like flatties in the bay. This week they were in the same spot and still acting live flatties but someone did get into one using a like nipper before we arrived. 

We arrived around milsons point and started using the big GT sized poppers and smaller trailing metals to imitate a bustup and a injured whitebait trying to get away. First cast the Roosta popper got hit with a pretty big flash underneath. About 20 casts late my friends 150mm Popper got hit by a large tailor - But not a huge tailor. These fish are so aggressive it hit a lure just under half its size but when he initially hooked up we all assumed he was on the biggest kingfish ever and because of the big splash and sheer size of the lure. We then fished around the bay until going down the pier at lavender bay. Using the large poppers to act as burley and draw the pelagics into the spot looking for the bait. After a few casts my metal which was being retrieved fast so it was skipping along the surface got smacked, The fish ran off hard with the drag pretty tight. We all thought it was a king but the fast bumps along the rod indicated it was some type of Scombridae (Mackerel, Bonito, Tuna). Fellow fisho had a net which was super handy and he got it into the net after a hard fight. The 3 spots below the peck fin indicated that it was a Mack Tuna. Bled, Iced and then filleted with a nice bread batter was very tasty "One of my favourites now". 

The dude who netted my tuna had some left over fresh squid which he gave us. I put a squid head and guts out on the popping rod weightless hoping for a tide change jewfish or a kingfish and propped the rod up with the drag loose. Not even 3 minutes later I had my back turned and then hear my friends yelling out that I am getting smoked. The drag was screaming and the adrenaline went right up. I was so set on catching a big kingfish so I locked right up and tried to smoke it in as hard as I could while shouting my head off :) I did not want to loose this. It was by far the hardest fight I have ever had with a fish. 

Then it surfaced, a pretty large Stingray :(. Not the big Jewie that I thought it started to feel like. So we just waved a knife at the hook when the line was tight and the large barb was out of the way. It's funny how we assume the fish on the end of our line is the one we want.

After going to get ice some friends of friends were fishing at the Milsons point ferry wharf (remember they were not apart of our group). I saw a rod bent and ran over to see if I could help. He had been fighting for 10 plus minutes with at one point having only backing left on his 1000 stradic, and then a ferry dock at the wharf while he held his rod under water to keep his line safe. After I arrived he managed to slowly lift it up and with a bit of scrambling around trying to grab the tail his friend grabbed the mouth and tail and lifted it up. 78 CM Fat kingfish. He hooked it with a small ajing sized plastic vertical jigging off the wharf. 

All in all a very good day. Tight lines everyone, Feel free to check out the video of the day!!

Edited by James Clain
Spelling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GordoRetired said:

We are so lucky to be living in a City where you can catch quality fish in sight of the middle of town.

Its quite amazing actually. Considering its not just good but one of the best fisheries in the world. Most people just say its overfished because the fish see too may lures. You gotta mix it up

• Like 1

Great report James - top video also.

got to love Sydney harbour -, clean, scenic and chockers with fish (over 63 different species recorded between the heads and Gladesville bridge)

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great report James - top video also.

got to love Sydney harbour -, clean, scenic and chockers with fish (over 63 different species recorded between the heads and Gladesville bridge)

It really is so clean. Only 1 coffee cup normally I would grab it but I think I will pass on the rubbish for a while. Can't wait for a baby GT to come out and smash a trailing metal. Thanks @Pickles

Guest Guest123456789

Super report and video. Well done on the capture. Such an advantage fishing like you guys were, poppers, soft plastics, bait all at once to find out what works. Nice job on the location change as well.