Rod lure ratings

Vick82

Hi Everyone,

I already have a 4-8kg setup for just general fishing I do but i want to get something that can be used all around for stuff like throwing live baits, rock and beach fishing,

I have been thinking about these 2 ugly stik rods:

USG-SP 802M             6-10kg            15-82g 2.40m/8'0" 2 6-10kg M Spin
USG-SP 1002GPMH   6-10kg 20-100g 3.0m/10'0'' 2 6-10kg M/H Spin

But I am worried about the lure weight limits.... e.g when throwing a sinker and a yakka its gonna be 150gm + easy

Will this be a problem ?  there is a 7ft rod that can do up to 190gm but isn't that getting too short for beach ? 

Thanks for any help

Edited by Vick82

I have 10' Ugly in similar rating and use it usually for bait fishing on rocks. I would not worry much about its "lure rating"  - the rod has f/glass tip which is quite forgiving.

As for beach bait fishing I would look at 12-13' rods, and something lighter than Uglies unless the rod will spend most time in a rod holder rather than hands.

I think 8' Ugly is more suitable for pier bait fishing.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 9:07 PM, savit said:

I have 10' Ugly in similar rating and use it usually for bait fishing on rocks. I would not worry much about its "lure rating"  - the rod has f/glass tip which is quite forgiving.

As for beach bait fishing I would look at 12-13' rods, and something lighter than Uglies unless the rod will spend most time in a rod holder rather than hands.

I think 8' Ugly is more suitable for pier bait fishing.

Thanks for the reply... No one replied for a while so I already bought something and haven't been on here since...

Went with the 10ft ugly stick, shimano baitrunner 6000 oc and 30lb braid

Yep it is pretty heavy but I guess I'll get used to it. I didn't want to get to Many rods and I think anything bigger than 10ft was pushing it for me 

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

I'm convinced you would actually have to intentionally try to break and ugly stick christ they're tough. As another poster said above lure weight is unlikely to be an issue with them