Changes in Rock Fishing and the dangers

7 hours ago, Twinfisher 4.9 said:

Thats funny about the stories of the fighter jets - not so humorous when you are on the receiving end.......but if you were in the cockpit, wouldn't you just think about doing it as well? I would.

Pete, "Gorge was a fairly simple walk in" - you must have had a better head for heights than I.  As Crusher mentioned, my shorts had changed colour by the time I reached the ledge!

Have recently moved house so still unpacking and will find the Seascapes and send pics and details - does it have to be a Major?

Heights never really bothered me. Spending 12 months of my apprenticeship on the construction of Centerpoint Tower cured that!!

Eaves was a little "scarier" than the Gorge, with a very narrow track right beside a steep cliff and a short rope climb, but benign compared to Wazathefisherman's adventures at the Mattens.

Major or minor is not an issue, but if there is a choice I would prefer a major. 

Thanks again for going to the trouble.

• Like 1

Pete, you worked on Centerpoint Tower? Wow, I knew very well one of the architects of that building & he would regale me with the amount of sway in high winds, lightning strikes etc. Yet when finished he refused to ever go up there. Given he designed it and wouldn't go, I never have either! Well I still have nightmares about the track into the Gorge - I can say I am one of the few survivors of falling off the track. Most of the gaps had been thoughtfully fixed by 6 x 2 planks but there was one gap, only 18 inches across and I just got my feet mixed up and stepped off my back foot, not the front. I was carrying all the rods and gaffs and my mate behind, the gear - he reached out and grabbed the rods as I went over the side. Priorities I guess!  There are few places on that track that have a ledge below them - I landed on one, about 10ft down.  And yes I did go back again!

Still looking for the 'scapes, will get back to you. Steve

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9
Correction
  • Like 1

I've been back up "the tower" but the experience isn't the same with the glass in. I remember on wet, windy days you had to be aware of the puddles moving around on the concrete as the building swayed.

Anyone who survives a stumble is a lucky man. As I said recently elsewhere on Raider, I lost a good mate to a cliff fall and another ended up in a wheelchair. You've just got to be extra, extra careful.

• Like 1

As I said, I admire you for your work on the tower, it was designed to sway 10 feet - that's a lot especially if you are ankle deep in water, and nothing at the sides! Yes, I do feel very fortunate to have survived that fall - I was 18 yo at the time and of course thought I was invincible........that made me rethink at lot of stuff. I'm sorry about your mates. 

Care, planning and thinking ahead are they keys to survival and take nothing for granted. We get that at our age, not unfortunately when you are eighteen - how did we ever survive (speaking of my own stupidity only).

• 3 months later...