Seafarer , should I go for it

kanTec

Greeting raiders...

I am looking for a first boat, zero experience other than what I read online and a couple of trips with mates...

Came across this one:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/greenacre/motorboats-powerboats/seafarer-runabout-fiberglass-cabined-boat/1247363890?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

I have three young kids and my better half and I trust well use it twice a month on average mainly for fishing.

Should I go for it? Is price appropriate? Owner not sure about number of hours on engine.

Thanks..

Link updated

Edited by kanTec

Hi

Lots of things to consider. Trailer looks to be in good condition. The Yamaha is an older 2 stroke, and will be thirsty. If you are mechanically minded, you'll be able to work on it when maintenance is required. Check that your tow vehicle is up to towing. Check that the floor is in good condition, no soft spots and that the transom is good. You need to know what to look for. Might be a good idea to consider a presales inspection service. I'd suggest that there will be room to improve the price too.

For me personally, I had an older FG boat and it was good, but the longer I had it, the more issues I found with it and it probably would have needed a bit of work and $$$ to get it back up to how I'd like it. In the end, I got an older plate boat, and i live it. I've had to have some cracks welded up, but I feel safer in it and i'm happy with my young one on board that it is safe for him.

We got a small tinny a week or so back, and I think that is a good first boat for anyone. It would be a bit crowded for a family of 5, but if they all give up, then you'll be able to fish solo and you've not spent so much money.

Good luck on your decision.

OK, just found it, it's an old style VC, pretty good boat, but, if you don't know much about boats, take someone who does, especially check the floor and transom, they were known to rot, it would be pretty fast with that 115.

It might actually be a Viking? But, the same applies, trailer looks OK, but pretty light construction.

edit..4.8m mentioned in add, makes it a VC.

Edited by noelm
Added something.

I might sell quickly at that price. . As to hours on the engine a few hundred is OK but up towards a thousand could spell trouble down the track - does he have a rough idea? It should go like the clappers with a 115 hp. As others have said check for rotten transom, floor and stringers. Don't neglect the age of tyres (over 6 years wouldn't trust), correct inflation and condition of bearings.

Generally I wouldn't say an old plate aluminium boat is any safer or a better proposition than a fiberglass one. Aluminium corrodes and fatigues with age and can let go without warning. It is unusual for plate boats to have level floatation. They just rely on air chambers under the floor. But a cracked weld can compromise the floatation. There is an article on the net about a plate boat that went down at the Peak. One of the crew didn't even have time to get his life jacket. And they actually had the boat professionally restored with welding work to remove corrosion.  

Edited by kingfishbig

The set up looks to be in great condition throughout, but photos can be deceiving , you never know when the photos were taken. They were and still are a very capable boat, I had one for many years and ventured past the shelf on several occasions and always felt safe, always kept an eye on the weather and was always lucky in that regard that I never got caught in bad weather in that particular boat.

Not far from my place and I wouldn't mind having a look at it, but I am not a qualified inspector and my opinion of it would be just an opinion.

Prices are always negotiable and don't rush into anything, there are plenty of boats for sale all over. 

Frank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Lots of things to consider

I thought this would be the case. I'm not in hurry to purchase something immediately, so I'll take my time to get it right hopefully. I have  Ford Territory which should be able to tow a boat.

7 hours ago, antonywardle said:

consider a presales inspection service

Sounds like the right thing in my case as I have no idea on what to inspect.

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Not far from my place and I wouldn't mind having a look at it

Thanks FrankS for your kind offer to have a look. If I decided to inspect it I'll let you know.

The best thing about this boat it it's looks! it's the only one so far my wife approved 😆

I had one question about the number of hours on boat, is it a major problem that the owner doesn't have a clue about it ?

Mate i own a vsea with 90 yammie  lookin at cond of that one  jump on it you will be amazed at how good they handle  only con i can pick is they dont really have a cab  i have boxes either side under my nose and have ropes anchors and gear stowed under front   with canopy you will have protection so it may suit  great boat for estuary or lake and  also outside  i fish for reds jew  tuna marlin   etc etc  and love my vsea

They are a good old boat but as others stated you have to check the transom and anywhere else where there is wood. She will move along with the 115.

Nothing wrong with 2 stroke engines other than noise and very thirsty but easy to maintain.

Hours on engine, unless used commercially you will not wear out the engine from usage, age will kill it before that and in particular corrosion.

Trailer is newish  but looks very lightweight for that boat. I can't see any brakes , that boat/trailer combo should have brakes.

Your Ford will be fine towing, if 2WD you may have issues at some boat ramps at low tide but most will be fine.

Price , about right depending on condition of course .

As you are first timer take someone with you that knows about boats and if you still want to go with it get a pro to inspect.

Hahaha ... I knew @rickmarlin62 would jump on this one .... and rightly so !  He has the credentials to comment on what a VSea can do.  I had a quick look at the advert and agree that trailer looks very "light" for a FG boat.

Also I agree with all the great advice you have had so far - get the hull checked for rot both the floor - and most importantly the transom - any flex - think $000s. If the hull is ok then I would proceed with my decision process.

Normally if someone can't explain how many hours - I would be seriously concerned but I would not exclude the opportunity just based on that.   Has the owner offered a sea trial ? . .. if so, then they are showing confidence in the motor and the rig regardless if they can't explain how many hours the motor has done. If no sea trial - walk or negotiate harder - you will have to replace the motor now.

From my experience way back in 1996, a guy was offering a Haines Hunter 635L with a Yammie 225 unknown hours in Salamander bay. My wife and I were interested because of the hull and reputation, so we contacted the seller. As it turned out the only time we could schedule an inspection was late on a Saturday - so we took that . But we actually decided to make a weekend of it and booked an overnight stay in the Nelson bay area unbeknown to the seller . We saw the boat and Saturday. We liked it but like you we had concerns regarding the motor.  As it turns out, the owner was honest in not being able to answer about hours on the motor as he had bought it with that motor in Qld and had it trucked to Sydney - it was a demo boat for a boat yard on the sunshine coast.  But ---- the owner offered to take us for a spin in the bay anytime .... we said how about tomorrow we are keen and have decided to overnight - he had no hesitation agreeing to take us for a demo run the next day.  

Long story short - 24 years later .... I am still in that same Haines Hunter boat. When I made the deal with the seller I had a very clear idea that I would be replacing the "unknown" motor and budgeted for that upgrade when I made my counteroffer on the boat.  Similarly wrt  the trailer.  The main thing was, both my wife and I went for a spin on the boat. We knew what we were dealing with and could make an informed decision.  

So... in my opinion, if the hull does not pass inspection WALK ! ... the rest fo the stuff you will be replacing over time anyway.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

Great advice in the comments above.

@zmk1962  with your comment about the difficulties to arrange viewing you reminded me that I once had this situation with a second hand car.  It could only be viewed late afternoons after the guy finished work.  After the purchase I found out the reason was the guy was serving weekend detention after being convicted of car theft! 😳😳   How I found out that's another story!

• Haha 3

There is a lot of concern on here about the owner not knowing how many hours are on the motor.

Well I have been messing about buying/selling /using boats since I was 16 years of age now 73 I have owned countless boats of all different types and sizes Dozens of boats and there is only 3 out of all the motors I have owned that I could accurately say how many hours they had on them. Unless you buy the motor new and run a hour metre ( and don't leave the ignition on ) nobody knows how many hours are on the motor. ( new motors with computers an exception ). They can guess how long the motor has been run but I don't know one person that can tell for sure.

Compression test ( which I can do ) check for corrosion see that it hasn't been re-painted and if it has Why ?. check for strong water flow check general overall appearance check for cracks/dents on prop and around gearbox loosen gear box drain plug and check oil ( you may have to get owners permission for this and bounce on motor when tilted up and inspect transom while bouncing check for softness on floor ) 

Don't forget, this is a 2nd hand oldish boat and it is bound to have some sort of damage wear on it somewhere. You are not buying a NEW craft so don't expect every aspect of the boat/trailer to be perfect.

In the end only you can decide IF it's the boat for you, and how much the boat is worth to you. Don't buy it just because you may feel someone else might get it before you.

Frank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Well the Seafarer is Sold, we will soon find out if the OP bought it or missed out.

Missed out 😁. I won't rush into buying a boat just because of my ignorance in this domain. There are couple of similar boats on gumtree.

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

4 ltr 6cly  is a freight train of torque and power, but can drink like a two stroke

It indeed does, among the least economic cars. I like it though.

2 hours ago, frankS said:

There is a lot of concern on here about the owner not knowing how many hours are on the motor.

Well I have been messing about buying/selling /using boats since I was 16 years of age now 73 I have owned countless boats of all different types and sizes Dozens of boats and there is only 3 out of all the motors I have owned that I could accurately say how many hours they had on them. Unless you buy the motor new and run a hour metre ( and don't leave the ignition on ) nobody knows how many hours are on the motor. ( new motors with computers an exception ). They can guess how long the motor has been run but I don't know one person that can tell for sure.

Compression test ( which I can do ) check for corrosion see that it hasn't been re-painted and if it has Why ?. check for strong water flow check general overall appearance check for cracks/dents on prop and around gearbox loosen gear box drain plug and check oil ( you may have to get owners permission for this and bounce on motor when tilted up and inspect transom while bouncing check for softness on floor ) 

Don't forget, this is a 2nd hand oldish boat and it is bound to have some sort of damage wear on it somewhere. You are not buying a NEW craft so don't expect every aspect of the boat/trailer to be perfect.

In the end only you can decide IF it's the boat for you, and how much the boat is worth to you. Don't buy it just because you may feel someone else might get it before you.

Frank

Thanks Frank for the solid advise. I'll keep an eye on the market and hopefully find something suitable.

Cheers

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Well the Seafarer is Sold, we will soon find out if the OP bought it or missed out.

Saw that, the other one 4.8 1993 looks pretty good to if its in budget!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penrith/motorboats-powerboats/seafarer-vsea-boat-4-8metres/1239115418

Don't forget most of these guys will take like 1k less if you have cash in your pocket.

You just have to make sure there is no finance/money owing on it.

Is there a number you can call for boats just like there is for checking cars??

2 hours ago, kanTec said:

Missed out 😁. I won't rush into buying a boat just because of my ignorance in this domain. There are couple of similar boats on gumtree.

2nd hand boats are like buses, another will be along shortly

A quick test for soft Transom and floor besides the tap and push is to use the outboard leg and get someone to lift and lower it and watch to see if the transom bends or moves.

What sort of Fishing will you be doing (Offshore or just in the Harbour and bays with kids and wife.

Watersports? Tubing and Skiing?

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Is there a number you can call for boats just like there is for checking cars??

Interested to know if it's the case.

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

What sort of Fishing will you be doing (Offshore or just in the Harbour and bays with kids and wife.

Watersports? Tubing and Skiing?

Mainly fishing Offshore , and occasionally in Botany bay. Haven't considered watersports, kids are still young, but it would be added value if the boats supports this too

Thanks wrxhoon1 and Kingie chaser for the info, this will help me and hopefully other newbies.

Is there a boat like the boat's Toyota ? durable, easy to maintain, and cost effective ? and hopefully good looking too 😅

As mentioned above, I am planning to use offshore for fishing, and water sports would be an advantage too!

I'm hoping for something under 10k with engine over 40hp and can seat 5 adults.

Edited by kanTec

I too can recommend the V-Sea (Seafarer) as I’ve owned the older 4.8 like the one you were originally looking at, and I now have the 5m current shape with 115ph. 

they are a good family boat for what you want.

these boats come up fairly often but some are soft around the floor and transom.  Be patient and you’ll find one, and of course there are other glass boats out there that will suit your needs 

as for hours on the motor, I’m quite sure ALL boat owners have an idea on how many hours have been put on their motors over time.  In my opinion to not know is rubbish. 

when buying first boat, it will be worth spending a few dollars to have expert go over boat looking for rotted areas and a good mechanic of your choice have a look at motor.

good luck kanTec