Help with tying 50lb leader

Gengar

Recently bought new heavier 50lb mono leader (its 0.61mm)  but find it hard to tie it onto hooks. Normally i use the improved clinch knot and snelled hooks but find that even if i pull very hard the loose end can still be untied if pushed the right way. Tried googling but nothing quite work especially if i want to tie double snelled hooks. Any advice on how you guys tie these heavier leaders?

Yep agree, uniknot every time, never been a huge fan of Snelling, especially if the eye is not joined, some hooks have a very sharp end where they are bent over to the shank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Make sure with the clinch you are lubricating the line well when pulling it together.

With the Snell there are different versions

Try this one

There should be no reason you can't lose 50lb for both these knots.

Ok let me try this. Its slightly different to the one I usually tie but let me see how it goes.

Guys thanks so much for all the response. I haven't looked at the uni knot before but let me search youtube!

Also generally for the end of the leader that ties to the swivel I would make a loop knot so that I can switch leaders easily. I dont know what the knot i make is called but again I find that when using the 50lb leader the knot doesnt hold well. Any advice on how to make a loop knot (not sure if that is the correct name for the knot).

2 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Guys thanks so much for all the response. I haven't looked at the uni knot before but let me search youtube!

Also generally for the end of the leader that ties to the swivel I would make a loop knot so that I can switch leaders easily. I dont know what the knot i make is called but again I find that when using the 50lb leader the knot doesnt hold well. Any advice on how to make a loop knot (not sure if that is the correct name for the knot).

What are you tying with the loop??

I would recommend you do some research on what knots are for what applications.

There are dropper loops, loops like Rapala or perfection for tying to bibbed lures etc.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots

Not exactly sure what you mean by tieing a loop knot to change leaders easy, I don't like loops for attaching anything (except a proper loop knot on a lure) but any of those dropper loops for looping over hooks and swivels are next to useless.

33 minutes ago, Gengar said:

The uni knot is probably the easiest to tie, has good strength, can be used on thick or thin line and also a double uni can be used to join lines, even of different thickness..

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

What are you tying with the loop??

I would recommend you do some research on what knots are for what applications.

There are dropper loops, loops like Rapala or perfection for tying to bibbed lures etc.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots

Hey kingie really appreciate all your advice and tip on this and the other thread!

I found the loop knot that I have been tying which is called the king sling. Unfortuately it just keeps on slipping. I just want to tie a knot so that I can clip it on the swivel. Its just easier if I want to change leaders I just unclip the old one and clip on the new leader.

16 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Hey kingie really appreciate all your advice and tip on this and the other thread!

I found the loop knot that I have been tying which is called the king sling. Unfortuately it just keeps on slipping. I just want to tie a knot so that I can clip it on the swivel. Its just easier if I want to change leaders I just unclip the old one and clip on the new leader.

All good, we all need to start somewhere & the learning journey never ends :biggrinthumb:

I didn't know the name of that one but I use that knot for the bottom of my paternoster rig for loop for my snapper sinker.

Never really thought about using it as a terminal swivel knot.

I must admit if I am using a general knot for swivels or hooks it is the uni, it is a good strong knot easy & fast to tie, if I want a up it a bit I use a trilene that doubles the loop for some extra strength.

Give them a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gengar said:

I know what you mean there. I clip leaders on to my ball bearing snap swivels on my game rods, e.g. skirted lures on mono, Jinkai or wire leaders; or live bait bridle rigs; or skip bait rigs. The lightest leader I am using at the moment is 70lb and I crimp a loop with a nylon sleeve in it, which protects the loop. Lighter leaders for paternoster rigs for bottom bashing, I use 30 or 40lb mono and just tie them to a stainless steel ring with a uni knot and clip the snap swivel to that.