Black Marlin Downrigger Question

M1100S

So my Mate purchased a boat and it came with a down-rigger on it and i had a look and it is the Black Marlin down-rigger. He doesn't really want it on the boat and i had a look at it and it seems to be  a pretty solid bit of kit and i said i will swap ya for a case of beer ( on the proviso if it works ok)

When looking at it yesterday quickly if you pull the line it just free spools out no problem but when you wind the handle in clockwise direction you hear a ratcheting noise but it does not wind the line back up. and when you do anticlockwise wind there is no movement the handle just does not budge.  i tried looking for a lever or a button/switch that needed to be flicked to change way it wound but could not see anything.

i know it is not a cannon or scotty and soooo hard to find any information on the web about this brand so i though i might ask here is anyone has had one or used one in the past.

other question is.... do i save the money for the beer and put it to one of the better know brands ?

image.thumb.png.1e9a12a744247cbbff9b98fb0a8b96aa.png

why dont you use it and see what its like-downrigger is the best fishing tool i own. Its not a brand i have any knowledge of- why doesnt your mate ask the bloke he bought the boat off?

It sounds like the drag is not done up or not tightening.  
It also looks pretty solid in the photos. 
I’m with Antony on this one - worth a case of beer. The way my canon works is I grab the spool and wind clockwise to tighten the drag and wind up. If you wind anti clockwise it gradually releases the drag and lets out line. Can’t imagine this one being too different. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

Mate said he is going to pull off some time this weekend and yeah in sure there is something i missed.

Could be a good little weekend project to reverse engineer and see what might be the problem. he also said will give me the guys details he purchased off so might give em a call

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to get the Downrigger off mates old boat. now time to give a bit of a clean. Its a solid bit of Kit i must say. well worth the case of beer.

I Will run some saltaway over it and also grease the gears a little. I was told to use litium grease instead or marine grease

Also that little black disk, i think it is the friction plate. can you buy news ones of that, and from where ??

20200619_135915.jpg

20200619_135911.jpg

20200619_135950.jpg

This side looks like the gears that drive the counter and also the ratchet anti reverse. 
If you can’t source an exact replacement friction plate you could probs get away with a thin stainless steel washer and carbontex washers either side of it (pack out with carbontex to the same thickness as the friction washer). 
Can you send some close up pictures of the handle side. On most riggers all the tension setting stuff is done on the handle side. They are largely designed to be one hand operation. 
Cheers Zoran 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ZMK.

i finally figured out how the thing works, if i loosen the handle (anti clockwise) it allows it to free spool and then i tighten it up it allows me to wind back in. Also got a mount for it and now it is just time to get a downrigger weight and use it in the summer time

I wonder if you can get a replacement but on the end of the handle... i dont know what technical name for that kind of nut is so couldnt really google it. But it is a handy unit and i think will do the job in the mean time....cost me a trade of a motorcycle ramp instead of a case of beer haha. 

Have to admit this thing is built like a tank, a solid peice of kit. i dont know what cannon or scotty downriggers are like but boy the aluminium work on it is pretty darm good.

20200716_170335.jpg

20200716_170348.jpg

20200716_170320.jpg

Edited by M1100S
  • Like 1

Great to hear you got it working, and the price is awesome ! ... the operation you describe is identical to how I described my cannon working in my original reply.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:49 PM, zmk1962 said:

The way my canon works is I grab the spool and wind clockwise to tighten the drag and wind up. If you wind anti clockwise it gradually releases the drag and lets out line. Can’t imagine this one being too different. 
cheers Zoran 

The aluminium looks like it's CNC machined from a single billet - very solid bit of kit.

Regarding the handle nut, it's not something you have to use on a regular basis. You may consider undoing it once a year to lubricate the shaft. 

Given that, if it's doing the job today, I'd just remove it, clean it up with a wire brush, spray paint with a rust inhibitor paint and refit it. It will have years of serviceable life.

Cheers Zoran

PS - now to go get some kings with it !!!