Outside flatties

Yowie

Mate finally wanted to go fishing, due to corona virus changes, so we headed south of Jibbon to Marley, and had a few drifts there. The biggest flattie was 51cm, with a couple of throwbacks. The blue spots were scattered, however, there were plenty of spikies, often coming up in doubles. Only the one jacket.

Swell was down, and not much wind. The wind kept dropping and slowed the drift. Once we drifted out a bit, we found a tide line, and on the eastern side of it was a strong current heading north. No surface action around us.

Not complaining, as there are a few feeds in what we caught.

fish.jpeg_236.thumb.png.8ae8d776461fd0c0236da2666febc91b.png

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Not bad yowie! That’s definitely a different photo. Haha! What song were they singing? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Bloody Yowie fooled us again.  🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some good blue spots among that lot they always eat well. It's nice to have reliable tucker just outside the river.

I went Tuesday afternoon like you say found they were scattered this week. took nearly 2 hours to get 10 , although had a lot of just legal throwbacks. Then went and fished inside out from Lilli Pilli for two hours with a zero result and back at ramp by 5;30.

Bruce

52 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

Some good blue spots among that lot they always eat well. It's nice to have reliable tucker just outside the river.

I went Tuesday afternoon like you say found they were scattered this week. took nearly 2 hours to get 10 , although had a lot of just legal throwbacks. Then went and fished inside out from Lilli Pilli for two hours with a zero result and back at ramp by 5;30.

Bruce

The blue spots have been a bit bigger down the coast, whereas in Bate Bay the size has been smaller.

The Hacking has not been fishing too well since the big rains earlier this year. The shallows have some fish in them, the deeper waters had a lot of fish move out after the flood, and not all of them returned. Other places have tailor splashing about, though the Hacking has been quiet for them over the last few months. Maybe some will be about at night.

2 hours ago, tobycb said:

Nice job Yowie,

Good feed there, what depth were you fishing and what type of baits?

Regards, Toby

90 feet and drifted out to 120 feet.

Small spiky flatties, each fillet gives you 2 baits. No legal size on them, and they are a fairly tough bait.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

90 feet and drifted out to 120 feet.

Small spiky flatties, each fillet gives you 2 baits. No legal size on them, and they are a fairly tough bait.

🤯Dont think id be testing your theory on the spikies not having a size limit mate...............

On 5/15/2020 at 1:28 PM, New Signing said:

🤯Dont think id be testing your theory on the spikies not having a size limit mate...............

New Signing, for your information, and for others regarding Flathead species.

The spiky flathead I am referring to, which I use for bait, are the species Platycephalus grandispinis, also called Longspined Flathead, and Spiky Flathead. This species has a long spike on each side of it's head, relative to other Flathead species, and this is the reason for it's common name of Spiky Flathead. The first few dorsal fins back from the head contain an irritating poison if spiked into your fingers.

It grows to a maximum size of around 34 cm, there is no size limit for it, and I have seen them in roe from around 15 to 18cm in length. It is a very common species, caught in the ocean but rarely in rivers.

In NSW, 3 species have size minimum limits - Blue Spot Flathead, Tiger Flathead and Dusky Flathead. (I do not use any of these for bait)

Blue Spot Flathead are sometimes called Sand Flathead, but the true Sand Flathead is a smaller fish with lighter body markings.

There are about 40 species of Flathead in Australia, with some being uncommon and of smaller sizes than the main 3.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

I stand corrected.

Perhaps memory doesnt serve me well. I thought in years gone past there was an * on the DPI measurements that said something along the lines of any unlisted flathead species having a size limit of 33cm

There may have been a general limit, but now it is listed as 3 species only in NSW that have minimum sizes.

Victoria has a combined bag limit of 20 for all species, size limit of 27cm.

• Like 1

Zoom in and you will clearly see the blue spots on one of them. 
Yes In my experience the tiger and spiky are more red in colour and similar (but tigers grow bigger) They both are thicker in the shoulder area than the flatter shaped bluespot of equal size.
Cheers Z

8 hours ago, New Signing said:

Do you happen to have a picture of a spikey next to a Blue spot for comparison?

fish.jpeg.171_files.thumb.png.8a4b954b6bd0a43d1674be021936f4e6.png

fish.jpeg.172_files.png

Edited by Yowie
In first photo, top one Blue Spot, bottom one Spiky. In second photo tail on top is a Spikey, bottom is a Blue Spot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2