Salad and Fish Drizzle

zmk1962

Gday Raiders,

Whipped this up the other night and got two thumbs up from my very own chef and food critic - my dear wife !

I had planned to cook our last Gemmie fillets (time for another Brown's sesh me-thinks) and was looking for a Thai-style flavour coz we were both missing venturing out to our favourite Thai haunts. 

Thai Style Salad Dressing/Drizzle (the quantities are the ratio I used, adjust for the volume you need)

2 tsp Palm sugar
2 tsp Soy sauce
2 tsp Sesame oil
1/2 Chili chopped
1/2 Garlic chopped
1/2 Lime juice
1/4 Kaffir lime leaf finely chopped

Combine all drizzle ingredients and let sit for an hour or so  - give it time for all the flavours to combine.

The salad was tossed greens (baby spinach and rocket) and bamboo shoots. The side is cubed airfried potatoes with a dash of olive oil and rosemary.

The gemmies were rolled in mixture of flour salt and white pepper and grilled on a hot plate with a touch of olive oil. 

IMG_3407.thumb.jpg.14156c0dec4b9b4aefbf7476b28c374a.jpg

Apologies the for the blurry photo - was taken in a rush :wine:.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Looks delicious Zoran ! Ive never tasted gemmies, are they good eating?

Hey Sam, yes they are very good eating - with medium to firm white flesh - large flakes - delicate flavour. 

They look a bit daunting and 'cuda-ish ... so you'd think they would be oily and poor eating but surprisingly that's not the case. 

I've had some fisho mates report that they can be "mushy" - I've never had one like that - maybe they just didn't ice them down for the long day and trip back.

FYI, they command a high price in fishshops - usually sold as fillets and often called hake. 

Maybe we have to go out one day and deep-drop with the electrics so you can have a chew !

Hey @Blackfish, @masterfisho7 and @Rebel .. thanks for the comments. Yup play around with the ingredients to get the  taste and consistency that you like ... we grow many of our own herbs  and chilis and have a Kaffir lime and a Lime tree in the back yard - using fresh ingredients really makes dressings come to life.  

The only comment I had from Maria was I should have made more drizzle - we left a bit to try in the fish and it was delish - would have been great to have a little pot on the side !

Cheers Zoran