Boat Parking Dilemma

Twalis

Hi Folks - I'm looking to buy a first boat, but have a parking dilemma that I need to solve first.

Essentially I have a steep double car driveway down to the road, and I'm worried about being able to hitch and unhitch the boat from the Prado. I also know that I have to keep nose of the boat tilted up for drainage. I think the rise required from the driveway to towbar is at least 1 m to get the nose of the boat up.

Looking for suggestions please on how to be able to park the boat in the driveway safely and achieve the height on the front required, including insuring the boat is safe on the steep driveway?

Thanks All

Twalis

Boat Parking_v2.jpg

• Twalis changed the title to Boat Parking Dilemma
Guest Guest123456789

Why wouldn’t you park the boat in Garage and car on driveway? If it’s too big why not park on on street? If you’re going to leave a boat parked on front of a driveway for extended periods I’m guessing half the garage is a workshed. It might make sense to buy a work shed and place it in backyard. 
there’s no way I’d leave a boat on a steep incline driveway. If another car bumps it plus factor in kids/older people you’re tempting disaster.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Do you own the house or rent? I had a steep driveway at my last house, although it did flatten out a bit at the top. I had a big double parking slab poured off to the side, in stencil crete to match the rest of the driveway. Then, I’d just drive into the garage then manually manoeuvre the boat out onto the slab.

Edited by Berleyguts

I would park it on the street / front nature strip with a good cover or two.

or

Get a steel pole set into the Garage with a remote electric winch, disconnect the boat from the car, hook the winch to the front of the trailer and drag it up the drive way, secure wheels and then secure front of trailer, to stop it from tipping up.

Then do the reverse when you want to use the boat,

p.s: I do have a theory the easier it is to get in and out the more you will use it, if its to hard to get in and out then it will become a yard ornament.

P.P.S What size and model boat are we talking about

• Like 1

Most boat trailers overhang well past the axle, far more than any vehicle,  with the boat extending beyond that to a point so  you don't need a very steep angle before the trailer or engine hits concrete. Reversing up any gradient is tough going on the vehicle and extra force on the towball itself from normal running, so make sure the ratings will work. My drive isn't overly steep but I still need to use low range and even that will have the odd wheel spin. One boat I had hit the spare wheel on my Prado door on the bowsprit when I reached an angle where the vehicle was in the gutter camber of the road and the boat fully on my drive, had to change to a side angle to get over it, reversing and turning at a sharp angle.

Options are to move or find other storage locations. If those angles in the diagram are close to scale I really don't fancy your chances. Do you know anyone with a boat simular to what you would like, who might possibly try reversing up your drive to see if it can be done before you spend on a boat.

One more thing to consider is the fact if you can't park the boat with a rear tilt, rain water is likely to get in making it very front heavy, which could cause all kinds of drama for you.

Edited by JonD

Had the same problem  last place I lived at. I agree high lift jack welded to trailer. Put it in a position where you can still attach jockey wheel when that is  needed  ie you can lift jack up to draw bat height without interfering with  removable jockey wheel

Hey Everyone - really appreciate you sharing your experience and constructive feedback.

Looking at a 18 footer boat. Unfortunately garage is full and I don't have  other space around it to play with.

Good idea on seeing if I can borrow a similar boat to test with

18 ft fibre glass boat could easily be 2 tons when fully loaded with fuel and general gear. Depending on the aluminium build and fuel tank size it could easily be around the same weight, which is a fair lump to reverse up a steep drive.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:10 AM, Twalis said:

Hey Everyone - really appreciate you sharing your experience and constructive feedback.

Looking at a 18 footer boat. Unfortunately garage is full and I don't have  other space around it to play with.

Good idea on seeing if I can borrow a similar boat to test with

I am in the exact same situation, 18ft fibreglass.  I park mine on the driveway no worries.  I have a dual axle trailer. I drive up, have the wife put two small caravan ramps (or i made my own with wood) under the back wheels, then I reverse back onto the ramp for the rear wheels only.  that way the boat sits almost horizontal.  Ive never had any issues with it moving.  I also lock the wheels together with a chain (safety 1) and bolted a D-ring into the concrete and chain it to that as well (safety 2) and trailer also has a hand brake.  Ill try and get a photo.

I drive my trailer up so the back of the boat is facing down and it drains while I wash it.  Even when its unhitched its on a slight angle down for drainage.  I then unhitch, drive the car forward into garage and back out (double bay garage).  its a bit of a PITA with a landcruiser but it works.  I have a small house with no street parking.  Ill try get a photo later tonight to better explain.

Sorry for the delay.  I have it sitting on the ramp to try and even up the weight distribution between the two axles.  Without it the front axle seems to take all the weight and the tyres looked heaps flatter.  Dont even need to have the brake on.  Two wheels are chained together on the other side and its chained to the driveway via a shackle dynabolted down.

Screenshot_20200531-205820_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200531-205924_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200531-210241_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Fishop