Seasick Sunday 17.5.20 Barrenjoey wide

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

I'll keep this report short. My buddy Wayno has really been missing his flathead feed so with COVID restrictions easing we decided to hit the flattie grounds off Barrenjoey on Sunday. I had a close family dinner on Saturday (combined double birthday and wedding anniversary) - I knew that food and drink would be a plenty but still thought Sunday would be ok - after all the weather was supposed to be calm, 1m seas, >10kts winds etc -- all looked good.

We hit Parsley bay at 6.15am, and joined the queue to launch - it was busy - I put Wayno at the helm, dropped the rig in the water and headed to park the car and trailer ---- wow, did I say it was busy -  I got the LAST trailer parking spot !

Out we raced to the 40m mark, it was sloppy and choppy. I am sure the seas were 1m somewhere, but not at Barrenjoey wide. Anyway, first two drops I pulled up a 3ft and then 4ft shovelnose. Both hooked in the gob, hooked though a fin - I think I spent way too much looking down separating gear from sharks - Hmmm -  and then for the first time since 2011 I felt that dreaded green feeling 🤢 .  

In the meantime, Wayno was pulling in juveniles. So out we go to the 50m mark.  We drop down and I bring in a decent bluespot flattie over 40cm but now feeling 🤢🤢.  Then another two over 50cm - now feeling even more 🤢🤢🤢 (no amount of heavy breathing was helping). Wayno was still tangling with juveniles -  the day was not looking good. 

Long story short, I managed to clear some internal pressure, felt a tad better and we headed back to 40m to try a different drift . The top of the tide came around 10am, and bang we found the larger models on the bite. Wayno landed his only solid keeper (he obviously had the wrong side of the boat that day) but by 11am we had 9 bluespot in the bag all between 55-65cm and 3 octopi to boot. I am stumped where the octopus are coming from as the grounds we drift across are all gravel/sand - but we caught them in this area on the last trip as well.

All in all, it ended up being a top day on the water,  despite me feeling absolutely miserable for most of it.

Anyway, I didn't take any pictures of the day (due to my delicate condition), however here's a snap of my share of the spoils:  1kg fillets and 450g of octopus. 

IMG_3522.thumb.jpg.e460688f3560d358cf1f3289d3051d20.jpg

Cheers Zoran

• Like 11

8 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Hey, I also suffer from sea sickness and I feel for you.  I can only put 6 inches in the bath tub or I will get sick.  Great to see that you did bring home some fish.:fisher:

That’s the thing. I usually don’t !!  Often 20-40km out. But Sunday what a day.  But I persevered and we brought home the goods. 
cheers Zoran 

Sound likes a good day out, nice fish and free burley. 😂

Fishing out from Cronulla and south on the flattie drifts, I pull up the occasional occy, but let mine swim away.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you were struck down by the green sea monster Zoran ! 

But it looks like you soldiered on and managed a good feed which is a very good result.

When i untangle my gear- retie gear i almost always do it standing up and looking at the gear as close to eye level as i can get it. I try not to sit down and look right down ! i find that helps alot

I almost felt sea sick the other week too when the forecast was also for 1m swell but with wind going in a different direction and another second swell going another, it was an absolute washing machine ! it happens to everybody !

• Like 1

Self inflicted sea sickness, no sympathy here but I can certainly relate to it :whistling:🤣

But hey, sounds like you enjoyed the festivous & managed some fish for the after party :biggrinthumb:

If I know I am having a big night before I go out the next day I normally start popping travacalm & Panadol as soon as I get out of bed 😏

• Haha 1

Guest Guest123456789

Nice report Zoran and well done on the catch. Most of us workers fish early weekend mornings and most of us do it hungover!!