Dam/Lake fishing land based tactics.

paddy93

G'day all. 

Recently moved up the Blue Mountains and will be having a crack at fishing the dams and lakes in the area for a little trout.. Having never fished freshwater before, what are the tactics I should be using? Deep or shallow water, casting into structure, are rocks good to fish around? Will only be using lures, wife won't let me have baits around the house after I forgot about 2 Prichards in a bait bucket for a month.... 

Any advice would be grand. 

Cheers!

Walk the edges casting, experiment with different lures, sinking lures like celtas, spoons and soft plastics will let you work all depths

You can also by artificial trout bait in a jar i think its berkeley that works fairly well and of course garden worms neither of which stink

• Like 2

Every dam is different. After being up there this weekend past, avoid lake lyall its full of blue green algae at the moment.

Thompsons is still fishing well, but best tactic I can give you there is pic a spot with a little structure and fish it before sunrise and up until sunset the fish just do laps in there and generally just feed at those times. Tassies or spinners work well or fly fishing if thats your go. You can't use any baits in there.

1 hour ago, Amsterdan said:

Thompsons is still fishing well, but best tactic I can give you there is pic a spot with a little structure and fish it before sunrise and up until sunset the fish just do laps in there and generally just feed at those times. Tassies or spinners work well or fly fishing if thats your go. You can't use any baits in there.

Is fishing the before and post sunset a MUST or can you fish during other parts of the day? 

1 hour ago, paddy93 said:

Is fishing the before and post sunset a MUST or can you fish during other parts of the day? 

If you are fishing trout, especially lake trout that can see you better than you see them, your best bet is when they are feeding, I have seen a few taken outside those times, but if you are there on on and after sunset you will usually get one or someone near you will.

Middle of the day on THompsons is a lot of frustration, you will see them doing laps, right past your lure or fly. They may take a look but thats about it. Just aim for one or the other and you may be good. The back of the dam fishes even better but its a good treck around it. don't forget you have a roughly 2km hike from the car park as it is

• Like 2