HAIRTAIL 2020 now with report

20/5/2020 Hairtail are here

Finally I got to go out in my own boat (waited in line long enough)!!! Seat warmers all of you heh heh. 

Swordie picked a day that was half decent and we took off early for Bobbin Head. The conditions were perfect and we launched at Apple Tree Bay. There were plenty of other boats coming and going and swordie found it difficult to wait till the ramp was clear :banana:.

We eased out through the 4 knot zone and hammered the Yammie up to 5000 rpm all the way to Jerusalem Bay. During the 20 minute trip we discussed the fishraider hairtail socials of the past and the great people we had met over the years. @Scratchie@Jnr Scratchie

Excited we pulled up and anchored and saw a boat pulling up hairtail. They turned out to be raiders :yahoo:and we chatted and introduced ourselves. After 5 minutes of Stewy glaring at them hauling fish in he said to me "pull up your gear and we will tie up to their #$%&^& boat. He wanted to get out the Jolly Roger and grappling hooks and board their vessel :074:argggggh

Rods out again and nothing really but the other boat was still catching :ranting2: so we decided to stop and discuss tactics over a cuppa and a bacon and egg roll cooked by Stewy. He was fart arsing around cooking and I decided to fish again while waiting. Next minute I was poling them over the starboard side one after the other. He was screaming over my shoulder "the %^&%$# bacon is burning" and "get your own fish off" . More expletives and so I stopped fishing and ate my roll :20:. Lucky for him the egg was runny and soft. 

All jokes aside we had a great fun night and my biggest was 1.3 m ANDDDDDD I outfished swordie 

We left at 7.30pm and headed home. Waratah Bay was lit up like a Christmas tree and we think we picked the right bay this time. 

Thanks @teddybear and his deckie for the laughs and the fun time. It was lovely to meet you both. We will be back when the weather picks up again. 

41556BC5-7629-4856-ADF7-3F35342B34AD.jpeg3868AF88-9255-491A-9CE1-58777DC715C0.jpeg7A2578D4-3B67-4BA3-8BC7-5CA22CB0813F.jpeg5A0206B0-4F0D-41EC-9541-3FC2B271D620.jpegAF0B7D4E-952A-47D0-AAD1-15672D760E80.jpegFC480101-3200-4C66-A8F3-F770504DC7DC.jpeg

59FE2888-1B1F-4ED6-93C9-1D766199FE2F.jpegEA9D1867-D914-4700-8ABC-9E7F62832C63.jpeg905C0F73-5B3B-44D1-95AD-A2E7081C1768.jpeg

3D8BA3ED-1AAD-4AAA-997E-F02F90AACCA9.jpeg

• Like 19

Well done,

To be honest my first trip out i got a 6”2... been hard to head out after that!! That night i also experienced a moon lit rainbow due to the mist etc that night...so fricken cold and wet...It has a special name....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Awesome work swordies! Making me green with envy up here. I love chasing those things. I recognise that spot too 🤔
Haha 😂 

cheers scratchie!!! 

p.s too much berley stewy! 🤣🤣

We must have a big Fishraider social next year. A real family affair again. 
It is so much fun with all the partners,  families and kids. 
You sure know that spot 😎

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

We must have a big Fishraider social next year. A real family affair again. 
It is so much fun with all the partners,  families and kids. 
You sure know that spot 😎

I think so too! You can count team_scratchie in for sure! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Well done Swordies! You certainly picked a nice day/night to go. Some great eating there

What's the best way to eat hairtail? Tried it once and was underwhelmed. Grilled on barbecue.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joshGTV said:

What's the best way to eat hairtail? Tried it once and was underwhelmed. Grilled on barbecue.

shallow panfry them with a bit of salt on the outside.

I don't take off the silver like most people do. Some people panfry long enough that they eat through the bones, so I am assume they probably fillet it a little as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joshGTV said:

Hi JoshGTV  fillet them (easy to get totally boneless fillets) and either put flour on them then bbq or crumb them and deep fry. They are also good steamed, but my favourite is crumbed.

Flour, beaten egg, crumbs. If you want thicker coating repeat process a second time, leaving in fridge for about 15 mins between 1st and 2nd process for crumbs to 'set' -No need to remove silver, but if you don't like the taste of it, simply remove when cooked. Deep fry on 190* - don't add fish until oil at that temp. Drain, then place on paper towel to remove any excess oil. If you like sauces like sweet and sour, add to fish pieces on table is my preference. Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi JoshGTV  fillet them (easy to get totally boneless fillets) and either put flour on them then bbq or crumb them and deep fry. They are also good steamed, but my favourite is crumbed.

Flour, beaten egg, crumbs. If you want thicker coating repeat process a second time, leaving in fridge for about 15 mins between 1st and 2nd process for crumbs to 'set' -No need to remove silver, but if you don't like the taste of it, simply remove when cooked. Deep fry on 190* - don't add fish until oil at that temp. Drain, then place on paper towel to remove any excess oil. If you like sauces like sweet and sour, add to fish pieces on table is my preference. Enjoy!

Thanks Waza

That’s a great report! You couldn’t have landed on my hair tail spot any better! Lol 😂 

Yes, the many nights spent there at the social has had many highlights for me too! In fact, it’s probably the reason I give so much back to the fishraider community. The generosity and appreciation that you guys showed to all the raiders that turned up was exemplary, especially towards me and my family! Nothing was ever a problem. Even letting me sleep on the top of the mothership and the hot coffee every morning! Oh, what great memories! 

Some other highlights for me, from the hair tail social over the years. 

Taking Nbdshroom out on a boat for the first time. 
That night absolutely poling them in that exact spot and ringing swordie and saying we needed more pillies they’re on. He zoomed around and tied off to us and for the next two hours we killed it. (My jaw still hurts from the laughter) 

Another spending the weekend with Jewstalker and leaving at 4am to meet another raider in Pittwater and go catch a 50kg plus YFT then comeback and chase hair tail, then run out of petrol. 

Yet another, with two of my kids and one of their friends. We got down there a day earlier and spent 4 nights with 4 people on my little boat. The kids had a ball and were very entertained by stewy all day whilst catching bait. It gave me time to sit and have adult conversation with Donna. I think I had a flat battery weekend too! Lol 😝 

Yes Donna, please organise another hairtail social. I will be there will bells on! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, teddybear said:

7B243A17-66EB-4B83-BEA9-D7772DAEAACA.jpeg

Be pretty hard to not know there those 2 fisho's hail from 😅

18 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Yes Donna, please organise another hairtail social. I will be there will bells on! 

Great stories Scratchie.

I recon I could even take the old quinny out to that spot, looks like a well sheltered area!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Be pretty hard to not know there those 2 fisho's hail from 😅

Great stories Scratchie.

I recon I could even take the old quinny out to that spot, looks like a well sheltered area!  

Plenty of stories yes

Did you read the report I added on here? Swordie even played chef :20:

• Haha 1

Great to see you both out on the water again, even better to see you landing some great fish for you’re efforts.

Well done to Stewy for cooking up a feed as well, such a gentleman!

Good to see you out fishing Stewy once again Donna 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What a great thread. Swordies out on the water, catching up with other Raiders, success in the cooking and fishing departments, great weather (fluked it) and contemplating a 2021 get together. Here's hoping that we will all be back to some sort of normality...free to travel, catch up with mates, etc.  bn

• Like 2