Keeping a boat on the Street

kanTec

Hi,

Probably this has been raised previously, couldn't find a topic to read.

Can I keep a small boat (4-5M) on the street? I know some councils doesn't like it to stay more than 3 weeks in the same spot.

Where do most people keep their boats?

Thanks !

I think it varies from place to place, but, as a general rule, if the trailer is registered, and it's not parking causing some kind of obstruction, and does not sit there for years with flat tyres and crap everywhere, it's usually OK, providing of course you can implement some kind of theft deterrent.

Just now, Rebel said:

I would ask your Council. Some Councils are ok. Some are off the planet when it comes to boats and Caravans.

Cheers.

Good point, I'll call gauge their tolerance for this :)

On 5/21/2020 at 12:10 PM, kanTec said:

Hi,

Can I keep a small boat (4-5M) on the street? I know some councils doesn't like it to stay more than 3 weeks in the same spot.

Thanks !

As mentioned it totally depends on the local council area you are in.

I know Randwick made a move on this because some boats just never seem to move & if unregistered then vehicles get a notification slapped on there that you have X number of days to move it or it will be towed/seized.

I would just call your local council!

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/randwick-council-to-impound-boats

https://www.yoursay.randwick.nsw.gov.au/BoatTrailerParking/widgets/206230/faqs#question35330

Guest Guest123456789

Totally fine if council are ok just insure it stipulating it’s parked on street, add a wheel and trailer hitch lock and make sure it’s fully covered. UV light will destroy flooring, fuel lines etc if exposed.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:10 PM, kanTec said:

Hi,

Thanks !

Most people  keep their boat that size in a lug , carport,driveway, backyard etc.I kicked the car out on the driveway and have mine in a lug.

I wouldn't own a boat if i had to keep it anywhere else.

That's my personnel thoughts though as there's  too theives walking around at night in all suburbs and don't like giving them something for free except something i can't mention here.

As others said ring council and hope you don't have whinging neighbours or the above mentioned thieves walking around.

Good luck mate.

Because some boats were parked and never moved new laws came to effect in 2015. 

Current regulations in NSW allow you to park on the street. The boat trailer can park there without moving for 28 days . You move once in 28 days then you can park in the same spot again for another 28 days and so on.

Some councils in Sydney impose 10 hr parking 8 am to 8 pm to stop boat trailers park there. Lane cove in some streets. Others have no parking signs " No parking Motor Vehicles Excepted" just to stop trailers, northern beaches have that in some streets.

19 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

Because some boats were parked and never moved new laws came to effect in 2015. 

Current regulations in NSW allow you to park on the street. The boat trailer can park there without moving for 28 days . You move once in 28 days then you can park in the same spot again for another 28 days and so on.

Some councils in Sydney impose 10 hr parking 8 am to 8 pm to stop boat trailers park there. Lane cove in some streets. Others have no parking signs " No parking Motor Vehicles Excepted" just to stop trailers, northern beaches have that in some streets.

How do they know if they've been parked without moving for 28 days in residential streets? If you have a roadworthy boat it's impossible to police unless they camp in the gutter for 28 days watching every move.

Move your boat a meter back and forth or drive it around the block and "technically" it has moved.

Same as when  you park somewhere even if your tyre has been marked move your car one spot along, drive to feet and it starts again.

8am-8pm is 12hrs but basically there's no point having a boat in those areas. I know what you meant.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, Fab1 said:

How do they know if they've been parked without moving for 28 days in residential streets? If you have a roadworthy boat it's impossible to police unless they camp in the gutter for 28 days watching every move.

Move your boat a meter back and forth or drive it around the block and "technically" it has moved.

Same as when  you park somewhere even if your tyre has been marked move your car one spot along, drive to feet and it starts again.

8am-8pm is 12hrs but basically there's no point having a boat in those areas. I know what you meant.

8am to 8 pm is 12 hours correct, if there is a 10 limit it means you can't leave it ,there for more than 10 hours, there for can't park trailer without moving it in that time but cars can park there all night and most of the day . Of course you can move the trailer to the first cross street ( from memory that's the legislation ) then move it back to the same spot. That's the idea you have to keep moving it.

How do they know? Neighbors that don't like the trailer there dob you in and lots of other methods they can use, like taking photos etc... It is not very difficult to find out it it hasn't been moved.

If the problem persists and ratepayers still have a problem they can resort to other things like restricting parking to anything other than motor vehicles like some already have.

Edited by wrxhoon1

6 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

8am to 8 pm is 12 hours correct, if there is a 10 limit it means you can't leave it ,there for more than 10 hours, there for can't park trailer without moving it in that time but cars can park there all night and most of the day . Of course you can move the trailer to the first cross street ( from memory that's the legislation ) then move it back to the same spot. That's the idea you have to keep moving it.

How do they know? Neighbors that don't like the trailer there dob you in and lots of other methods they can use, like taking photos etc... It is not very difficult to find out it it hasn't been moved.

If the problem persists and ratepayers still have a problem they can resort to other things like restricting parking to anything other than motor vehicles like some already have.

Fair enough. Sounds like a royal pain doing all that.That would put me off boat ownership for life.Boating/fishing is meant to be easy in my books.

Guest Guest123456789
16 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

No problems like that on the central coast (yet).

I know Randwick council they have no problems or limits to how long you can leave a boat in the street.

I even spoke to council and asked what happens if a neighbour complains about the boat what would happen. The lady said they may send a ranger out to check out the boat but if it is in areas where there is plenty of off street parking then there should be nil problems.

My drama is my neighbors all has 3 or 4 cars, dont park in their driveways and take up all the streets car spots so if i move the boat they take the spot and just leave the car there for weeks on end sometimes. so each time i have to move the boat i put my old mans car in the spot outside the house.... pain in the proverbial but what can you do.