15hp Yamaha

hustler57

2 hours ago, antonywardle said:

I used viniger and water in a bucket, and threw in some detergent away a while.

I'll see how much saltaway costs and consider it, although based on @noelm comment above

maybe I don't now have a problem. I guess I should check it against the newer motor and then I'd

expect both engines to get to similar temperatures.  Apologies to @hustler57 if I've hi-jacked your OP

Salt Away costs about $59 for a quart (946ml). 1 litre of concentrate makes 500 litres. I use the dispenser between the hose and the earmuffs and I think it takes about 90ml, maybe less. It does the engine flush and generally the full boat wash down including trailer as well as my rods and reels. So, works out about $6 a trip. I could use less by washing the boat (tinny) and trailer with detergent (and I do sometimes) but using Salt Away on the hose makes it quick and simple. I like simple.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, hustler57 said:

The fuel tank is a external tank that's been cleaned. i am heading out tomorrow night to drop a  line and will see how it runs then but if running at 1/4 choke is the only issue i have then while it shouldn't need any choke im not extremely worried at this stage as yesterday was a extremely cold day on the water . I had a old 40hp Mercury years ago that ran like a dream with a fraction of choke.  but i will be emailing Yamaha to ask why they say 100:1

Is the fuel breather open?

I have a 15 yammy, 100:1 is correct. I’m sure Yamaha know their stuff. Last trip up north I used 3.5 l of oil, that’s 350 l of 91 fuel over 7 weeks. Motor is as strong as ever. 

I had a similar problem with the carby, after my second and more thorough clean, problem solved. I don’t need and choke for smooth running and don’t believe it should be necessary. 

• Like 1

Yes the fuel breather was open a few turns. 

As I said it runs like a dream now so I don't know if it was a case of possible chunk still in the fuel lines from the external tank or something else but im happy with it now. I had to double and triple check the fuel tank as I know its a small tinnie but im not used to going out on a boat being so cheap, for those in Sydney I put the boat in at the old flower power boat ramp on the georges river and went down stream to tom uglys bridge and back to flower power on half a tank so that's basically 12 ltrs used.. my last boat would of used about 200 ltrs for the same trip.. just in time to sell it all shortly (only had the boat a few weeks and already going up for sale shortly). 

16 hours ago, hustler57 said:

Yes the fuel breather was open a few turns. 

.. just in time to sell it all shortly (only had the boat a few weeks and already going up for sale shortly). 

Throw up the detail in the sale section, good boats don't last when for sale.

• Like 1