A sneaky session at Putty Beach

lucapalooka76

Howdy Fishraiders

Got up at 5:45 am this morning and humped it over to Putty Beach to chase some Tailor and Salmon.  So good to get out for a fish after a week of terrible weather.  The swell was still pretty high and the waves were 2ish metre still.  The Northern end near the rocks looked a little calmer so I headed down that way.  Other than it being a bit rough it was a beautiful morning.  

I was fishing my surf spin rig which is a Shimano Classix Surf Spin 10' 6" with a Sedona 5000.  I was running 20 pound braid, 30 pound leader, running sinker and ganged hooks.  Pilchards were the fish snack served!

I'm pretty new to surf fishing so my ability to read the beach is still pretty novice.  I eventually found a nice hole (once it got light enough to see) and settled in for a 4 hour fish.  

Caught four, got busted off once and dropped 2 within eyesight.  I'm finding I have a disturbing habit of getting the fish visible then they pull a Houdini act.  

Todays catches were 2 Aussie Salmon, 1 Bream and a Dart.  

The bream was lunch...oven baked in lime, sweet chilli and ketjap manis wrapped in foil.  It was great!

Cheers

Luke aka LucaPalooka

IMG_20200527_083927.jpg

IMG_20200527_074650.jpg

IMG_20200527_091019.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200527081630318_COVER.jpg

dawn.jpg

• Like 7

putty beach at sunup is worth the effort. That Bouddi NP area is something special. I like Tallow Beach too.

James,

dart are very common on Putty and nearby beaches, in fact probably the most numerous fish. Summer and autumn.

Luke,

Actually it may not be your ability to read the beach which is lacking - Putty Beach has almost no structure. Killcare Beach (the other end of the same beach) has a bit more structure but not a lot. If you can find a channel that’s 300mm deep then that’s a big one.