Salmon South head

blaxland

Hello Raiders, went for a gentlemans fish today with a 9:00 am Launch from Roseville no bait just lures. Threw a few at moored boats on the way out for 0. At south head put out some trolling lures rapala CD14 in mackerel pattern and qantas colours  with a plug in the middle. Just started to turn south The mackerel goes off resulting in a nice bonny of about 55cm. Good start kept going a bit further along decided to change lures so I stop the boat pull in the qantas and lo and behold suddenly the water nearby is boiling. Grab the closest rod has a 20gm Halco on it first cast I can see the fish chasing almost breaching and Im on but the drag wasnt set and got busted off. The fish are still there so I through the quantas back out  fast retrieve bang off she goes almost back to the boat and got busted off again (Forgot both reels had 6 and 12lb braid and no drag rookie errors both broke above the FG.) So i head for home with the mac and the plug out for a double hook up lots of fun fishing solo. Kept one to try smoking should be ready now.No photo description available.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Great outing for just a few lures and a bit of trolling. Do you think the ones you lost were kings?

Well you cant be sure if you dont land them but the salmon were solid they would be my guess

• Like 1

Great report Bill. I love salmon antics, hit hard, pull hard, jump and Never say die- great fun on light gear.they must be hungry to take a 20 gram lure and a CD 14, which is a pretty big lure by comparison. 6lb leader = 10 to15 minute battle on a big salmon. If you bleed the salmon (tail wrap them and over the side into the water), they are great in a Thai green curry.

look forward to seeing you on the water midweek

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice report.

Did you brine the Salmon before smoking it?

About an hour with brown sugar and salt in cling wrap very tasty but I have a bit more experimenting to do

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Bill. I love salmon antics, hit hard, pull hard, jump and Never say die- great fun on light gear.they must be hungry to take a 20 gram lure and a CD 14, which is a pretty big lure by comparison. 6lb leader = 10 to15 minute battle on a big salmon. If you bleed the salmon (tail wrap them and over the side into the water), they are great in a Thai green curry.

look forward to seeing you on the water midweek

Yes the ones I landed were on 20lb braid with 30lb leader (the plug comes with a 60lb leader) still put up a good fight with some nice runs and aerobatics.

I hope they are as will be heading to middle harbour with another friend in his boat. first time for me fishing the harbour. If you see a gunmetal grey surtees 540 hardtop say hello thats me :)

i dont usually fish lures but will have with me a Halco twisty in 40g, some pilchard style one in 40g, a couple of pink squid skirts and also a rapala xrap that dives about 6m down. Are surface style lures better ?

• Like 1

Just now, M1100S said:

I hope they are as will be heading to middle harbour with another friend in his boat. first time for me fishing the harbour. If you see a gunmetal grey surtees 540 hardtop say hello thats me :)

i dont usually fish lures but will have with me a Halco twisty in 40g, some pilchard style one in 40g, a couple of pink squid skirts and also a rapala xrap that dives about 6m down. Are surface style lures better ?

Last time I fished a salmon bustup, all they took were surface walkers ( I had tried metals from 5g to 28g, and minnow style SPs, no luck). I would bring rods prerigged with all three to be safe.

52 minutes ago, Pickles said:

M1100S, try a Pillie on a ganged hook rig - no weight (sinker), lob it into the action and hang on

Good idea, would look like bait that got half eaten suspended in the chaos!

@ anthman....any luck today, how u go??

for me it was a donut( technically not as i got a small spikey flathead) but had my mates with me and another friend im his boat so more just about being on water.

On 5/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, M1100S said:

@ anthman....any luck today, how u go??

for me it was a donut( technically not as i got a small spikey flathead) but had my mates with me and another friend im his boat so more just about being on water.

Donut as well but only passed by the heads, went to long reef. Came back to the boat ramp and one fisho had a whole bag with about 5-6 good size salmon, said they caught at south head!!!

• Like 1