HAIRTAIL - Fun and fresh air and specimen gathering

Wow what a fantastic report even a green gilled newbie could go out & be successful with that detailed information 👍😎👍 

i think I’m going to have to rustle up some bacon & eggs next time & ditch the bananas 😂 

PS  great photos 

• Thanks 1

Awesome report and awesome to see you guys down there!

Cheers for the help with the samples, if any raiders are keen to get involved with hairtail research, as Donna said, dont hesitate to message me :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slam354 said:

Good report there what hook set up do you use when using the  live bait option and sinker size. Do you go to the bottom and set the bait or do you drift it down unweighted.

Use the same two 3/0 gangs and just use the bottom hook inserted above the lateral line just behind the eyes in the shoulder. The weight of the LED light will keep the livies down as only small around 3”. 

Donna, you’re a deadset legend, what an outstanding report.

All secrets disclosed, anyone one wanting to target Hairtail have all the tips and tricks here.

The only additional thing I do when targeting hairtail is to put a curtain ring on top of the rig,(wire or leader) to Grab the rig and save grabbing the fish. Hairtail “bites” bleed forever. I take “micropore” paper bandage tape when the inevitable happens.

thanks for sharing

• Thanks 2

On 5/30/2020 at 8:17 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Use the same two 3/0 gangs and just use the bottom hook inserted above the lateral line just behind the eyes in the shoulder. The weight of the LED light will keep the livies down as only small around 3”. 

Ok thanks slid it matter if you used both hooks when preparing the live bait or do you use one hook to not injure the live bait?

• 3 years later...
On 5/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

I turned and saw a hairtail latched onto his track suit pants by the ganged hooks. I did think for a fleeting moment I should just leave it there but resisted and cut the hook with surgical precision to release him from certain death. Harden up you sook!

Next time please take a photo first!!

• Haha 1