No kings, but bagged out on Tailor

Pickles

A brilliant day on the water yesterday (Saturday). Cool and foggy start and Parsley Bay ramp was BUSY. Cars lined up and boats going in - all in an orderly and timely manner - I usually launch around 5-5.30am and few issues at this time as only the keen launch then.

Caught the bait at usual spot off West Head (must have been 20 boats at 6am), plenty there, but they were a bit bigger than usual.

Didn’t  try for squid today and headed to the headlands for Tailor & Salmon (had a few young blokes on 3 boats and we wanted to get them onto some “string pullers” on light gear. God was good and we were not disappointed with heaps of tailor. We boated 35, many multiple hook ups and several times two came in on a ganged hook rig. We kept some to smoke, BBQ and my wife made a brilliant green Thai curry. You blokes who reckon Salmon are rubbish fish, bleed them as soon as you catch them, put them on ice, fillet AND skin them and try a green Thai Curry - brilliant.

The catch for the day included Tailor, Snapper, Salmon, Mackerel, Bonito (and no Barracouta for the first time in last 5 trips). A good mixed bag.

Jensen, very proud of his cracker Trevally on live bait rig and light line. 
the underside of Banjo shark / ray (Released of course, but a photo was need for writing classes on Tuesday) was covered in what appeared to be leeches - any one else encountered these before?

A86A5D83-2D4D-4481-BA13-8CF9D95EC54F.jpeg

D8765B73-22AC-4992-8C3D-F767E8A57D4D.jpeg

1A82B26B-DCCE-4836-A93B-28331497BAED.jpeg

• Like 14

Sounds like a great day all round with plenty of bent rods for the young guy’s, it was a good chat we had the other day & I hope the info is of some use to you pickles, the kings seem to have quietened down over the past week from what I heard yesterday, there were approximately 30 boats out at Texas with plenty of soundings but hardly any takers, a couple of follows off the rocks & about a week ago most of the kings caught at Texas were females & in roe & there were still some cruising around the estuaries of broken bay

Josh, I always look for birds and surface action, but I’ve got a spot that (nearly) always produces pelagics (Tailor, Salmon, Kingfish). I berley up heavily, then lob an unweighted bait on a ganged 3/0 3 hook rig with a no1 treble stinger back into berley trail (we got over 40 fish in 30 minutes), not all tailor, but all the tailor were over 35cm.

• Like 1

Salmon is the best! I fillet and skin them, cut the red meat off and give it to the dog (great for their coat) and divide the rest between sashimi and fish no chips. 
Last one I caught fed 9 of us!