Port Stephens- Give the kids a go!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

I’ve recently done a few upgrades to the boat and a few things I’m still working on but it has made me more keen than ever to take every opportunity I get to hit the water. 
So yesterday, I finished work early. Had a quick sleep and hooked the boat up. I decided to take the three youngest out for a troll around the islands. The seas were calm so we decided to catch some live bait first and give them a troll before we switched to deep divers. You kind of forget how much fun it is for kids to catch bait fish, especially a good slimie! 

AEDC8407-8E30-4929-94EA-0D786A1117D9.thumb.png.47bc40de79098247792babae63d73a3f.png

Well, put the slimies to good use and after only a short while the line starts peeling off. The eldest at the time Brandon was running the deck and grabs the rod and brings in a huge bonito. Sweet! The bonito are around, so we switch to deep divers. Didn’t take long to hear another one screaming and the girl was up! Great fun watching their faces tangle with a tuna. Landed that one and then time for the youngest to have a go! Well he thought he’d hooked a whale but just another bonito! Gave them a few turns each then it was time to head home and watch the footy! I didn’t touch a rod or reel all day and I didn’t drive either as the second eldest now has his boat licence! 👍

625F977A-40F1-4D4A-8AE7-F722942E94ED.thumb.jpeg.a5907f0042d0a5fa74f0428d400fb367.jpeg

3666F75C-B74E-4F16-93F1-75F442E69918.thumb.jpeg.059e6d761e0cf008d8485096b751c4b4.jpeg

So today, was the eldest boys @Jnr Scratchie  turn after he became a father last week and made me feel older than ever by becoming a poppy!

The plan was to go south and fish a few areas we haven’t tried before. But someone forgot to tell scratchie (boat) and she just turned left out the heads like usual and headed for Broughton Island. We didn’t stop for bait so we could get up there before first light and start casting. The seas were more than placid and no current to be seen although there was a little wind to help out drift. We both managed a few pannies and then the boy comes up tight. I set his drag and when I start to hear it sing I know he has a good fish. Well this fish kept singing and I thought it was whiskers until up comes a decent mid 70’s king. Nice! A few more drifts and a lot more casts, he comes up tight again And this time there is the telltale signs of a good snaps! Soon it was into the net and hi 5’s all round. Managed a few more at different spots and called it a day around 11. Cracking day on the water and we obviously did better than most as all the boats that came to the ramp, just hooked up and drove home! 
Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!! 

05233DF4-CBD4-49B5-A461-62705D545DA0.thumb.jpeg.83d67d96c53455d51177ffd856226a58.jpeg972FEFC6-C4C9-4833-899E-00C513F3EC90.thumb.jpeg.591970279176a3facb9cf1bcfa8958ac.jpeg

The best catch ever.........

45B4B5E0-2A7E-4A28-97C7-8C695875DAD6.thumb.jpeg.b775db530fb62ab1b4b027d7912f4f54.jpeg

I hope she likes fishing 🤔 

• Like 19

So it seems triple congratulations are in order !

#1 on the boat upgrades !

#2 on the nice fish

#3 best till last, on the baby girl. May she live long and prosper.

#4 (extra) Congrats on having the best Mrs in the world to let you go out fishing two days in a row !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

The best catch ever.........

45B4B5E0-2A7E-4A28-97C7-8C695875DAD6.thumb.jpeg.b775db530fb62ab1b4b027d7912f4f54.jpeg

I hope she likes fishing 🤔 

Great report and congratulations, Poppy! 🥳 

As for the “best catch ever”, that capture would have been in the Landbased Game section, I guess?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one mate and congratulations on  becoming a pop.

Hope  to see you up there soon, my reels are seizing up.

Thanks mate! Oil those reels if your not using them! Your free to travel now 👍

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

So it seems triple congratulations are in order !

#1 on the boat upgrades !

#2 on the nice fish

#3 best till last, on the baby girl. May she live long and prosper.

#4 (extra) Congrats on having the best Mrs in the world to let you go out fishing two days in a row !

Thanks Sam. Much appreciated! My Mrs lets me go whenever I want. It was the one condition that we get married! Lol 😝 

49 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great report. Great to see the kids having a good time. Super PHOTOS.

Thanks champ! The kids love it! 

6 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A nice bag of fish there, Grandpa Scratchie. 😴  and good work on taking the kids fishing.

It always a pleasure to take them out! They just don’t get many Monday’s off! 🤣

2 minutes ago, tobycb said:

Well done again Scratchie, nice bag!

Regards, Toby

Cheers toby!!! 

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report and congratulations, Poppy! 🥳 

As for the “best catch ever”, that capture would have been in the Landbased Game section, I guess?

Thanks Baz! Yep and she’s a PB for sure! 

10 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Congratulations to you, and the new Mum and Dad!

And as usual a great catch of reddies...

Cheers

Fil

Cheers Fil. It’s been an exciting couple of weeks that’s for sure! 😃

Loving seeing little missScratchie there ❤️

Keeping your family safe and happy. Your mob look very happy to be out fishing with you Jeff

Wont be long till raiders can take mates out fishing again. Still need to observe same household or be able to practice 1.5m distancing 😎

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anthman said:

Great report!

Is that a D16 vapor rod I see there? I recently picked up a couple during the sales,  not bad rods!

Yes it is! Great little rods to throw sps for flatties etc and double up as a bait rod! 

Jeff, congrats to you & the missus on becoming a grandparents, Im sure like the rest of the family the new little one will be a chip off the old block because the apple didn't fall to far from the tree there :biggrinthumb:

The family that plays together stays together 🙂

• Like 1

Aah well done Scratchie. Great fun teaching somebody something that you're good at and seeing them succeed. Congratulations on becoming Grandparents. Another generation to teach as time presents. Thanks for the report. bn

39 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Jeff, congrats to you & the missus on becoming a grandparents, Im sure like the rest of the family the new little one will be a chip off the old block because the apple didn't fall to far from the tree there :biggrinthumb:

The family that plays together stays together 🙂

Always family first! 👍

3 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Aah well done Scratchie. Great fun teaching somebody something that you're good at and seeing them succeed. Congratulations on becoming Grandparents. Another generation to teach as time presents. Thanks for the report. bn

I love taking the kids with me at every opportunity when conditions present themselves! Their smile is enough reward for me! Cheers BN

• Like 1

What an awesome all round report, there’s nothing better than taking kids out fishing & watching them light up when they are on, that great smile sums it all up 😎

Just as well the boat was stubborn & set its usual course, looks like you & junior had a great session 👍

A big congrats to junior & his partner for a wonderful new addition to the scratchie clan, & Jeff congratulations to you for becoming a granddad & having almost everything in life you ever hoped for, but then again there’ll always be another day to tangle with Wiskas 😂

• Like 1